main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Top 10 Reasons LOTR will never be as good as Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Duckman, Sep 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozma

Ozma Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 24, 2001
    "Okay...all of you LotR fans let's get something straight! LotR is boring and well...dumb.It's about a ring for God's sakes and you are going to waste your money on this! You know what Star Wars is about????? A young kid named Anakin who wants to be warrior and ends being evil and his son tries to turn him back to the good side and succeeds!!!! Not to mention it is futuristic and people in this day are really into that stuff,not medieval fantasies! All LotR has are Hobbits,wizards,and Orcs WOW! People are kind of sick of that stuff. Also sorcery is something that Christians don't like! So, don't expect LotR to be as big as you think it will be! By the way SW will always remain the King of Trilogies!"

Jedichick, you wrote what is seen above. It is the most incompetant piece of writing I've ever seen. Do you go to school? Please, I beg of you, end your idiocy for the sake of all of us, and go read Lord of the Rings. Heck, start off by reading The Hobbit, since that's probably more to your level. This is just sad...

2. jedichick81986

jedichick81986 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2001
    Ha! Guess what i happen to be in a program for gifted kids! I also go to an awesome school! By the way I tried to read the Hobbit and it is B-O-R-I-N-G!Get over it okay!go join your friends at theOneRing.net.!
    Also this isn't school this is a SW message board! Open your eyes okay!

3. jedichick81986

Aug 3, 2001
    As for my writing. I write my own stories! A lot of my friends enjoy my work and guess what it is...a space fantasy!

4. Ozma

Aug 24, 2001
    "Star Wars will always be better than the LOTR movies:

1. SW is a legacy of our time and LOTR tries to be. (It is somewhat, but only as a book)

2. The heros are ordinary people: farm boys, scoundrels/smugglers, slaves (chewie), other species.

3. Star Wars is rooted in our cultural history and goes as far back to the philosophy of the Greeks and Romans."

HA! How is Star Wars a "legacy of our time?" That sentence doesn't even make sense. If you mean in terms of cultural impact, I'd say Lord of the Rings is already well ahead, and will be even moreso after the films hit. Frankly, as much as I love Star Wars, and I do, it's fluff. It's rooted in mythology, WOW, GREAT, FANTASTIC. So is LotR. Except LotR is completely based in mythology, and while Lucas is a halfassed mythology student, Tolkien was completely immersed in knowledge of it. The man was a philologist at Oxford for Christs sake, I think he knows better than Lucas how to create enduring myth. All of you simply need to become more educated on these matters.

Oh, and notice this; most people in this forum who say LotR is better than Star Wars have experienced BOTH THINGS, while those who say Star Wars is better have in almost every case not finished The Lord of the Rings. My point? Just guess.

5. Ozma

Aug 24, 2001
    "Ha! Guess what i happen to be in a program for gifted kids! I also go to an awesome school! By the way I tried to read the Hobbit and it is B-O-R-I-N-G!Get over it okay!go join your friends at theOneRing.net.!
    Also this isn't school this is a SW message board! Open your eyes okay!"

I bet you're gifted. It shows. Many gifted kids "try" to read a beloved literary classic and fail. I swear, that happens alot. I do actually frequent theonering.net, now that you mention it. I find that their site is much less cynical and defensive than this one. Oh, and it DOES help to try and be intelligent on this board. Nobody wants to converse with a fool. Thanks.

6. jedichick81986

Aug 3, 2001
    GUESS WHAT?? George Lucas happens to be one of the top directors of all time...who is the director for LotR anyway? Sorry ozma but i mentioned LotR to my friends at school and they're like "what"? Everyone knows what SW is okay so yes it is a legacy of our time! DUH!

7. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Is this still going?

Star Wars wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for LOTR and the stuff about nobody knowing...please unless you count yourself as the only one on earth you shouldn't say those things. You do NOT represent mankind.

and why are you saying "people are sick of that?" he INVENTED the whole GENRE for crying out loud!

8. jedichick81986

Aug 3, 2001
    Oh,and the reason why most people can't finish LotR is because it's boring! Many gifted kids know that they're not going to waste their time on a fantasy book that is completely pointless.Sorry,but smart kids just don't want to read about a ring! Also I can voice my opinion!

9. jedichick81986

Aug 3, 2001
    Also stuff like elves and wizards came from the medieval times not from JRR Tolkien! If it wasn't for STAR WARS they probably wouldn't be making sci-fi and fantasy films anymore!

10. Cetera

Cetera Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2000
    I have to tell you, jedichick, that Tolkien, and his best friend C.S. Lewis, are probably more Christian than just about anyone in the U.S. today (A slight exageration, to be sure, but only a slight one.) Both had immense faith. Tolkien was a Roman Catholic, and one of his sons grew up to be a Roman Catholic priest. Lewis was not a Catholic, but he has written some of the greatest Christian literature of all time, and probably the best of the last century.

A lot of religious groups do have problems with sorcery, but LOTR does not contain sorcery. I know that some Christians do not like Harry Potter because of some neo-paganistic tendencies, but LOTR is a lot different. Those of us with diverse educations don't tend to make stupid snap judgements. We don't stereotype, we don't make broad, sweeping generalizations, and we don't blindly say things we know little or nothing about. We also don't blindly defend positions that can't be defended.

LOTR and Star Wars are not in competition. They show honor and respect to each other. Before Tolkien wrote his books, there was not anything like it (except maybe Beowulf, but that is entirely different anyway). It made fantasy. Prior to that, fantasy really didn't exist. If Tokien hadn't written his books, it is more than probable that Lucas wouldn't have made his movies.

I am equally a Star Wars fan and a Tolkien fan. I have enjoyed both since I was very young. Both had been impacts on me growing up. I used to play both of the role-playing games (Star Wars and MERP). I don't really think I have a bias one way or the other between them. It depends upon the mood I am in as to which I like better. They are different stories, so it is difficult to say which is "better." I like some things in Star Wars more than in LOTR, and vice versa.

I dare say that the OT of Star Wars was awesome beyond belief. It has a very special feel that no other movie has ever had. However, the works of Tolkien also have things in them that Star Wars can't touch. And when you say "king of trilogies" and "saga of sagas," which were you meaning. There are two Star Wars trilogies, or none, depending upon your point of view. And as for the PT, I have my doubts. I don't think it will ever be nearly as magical and as warming as the OT. TPM has at least showed me to temper my enthusiasm.

I think Star Wars is quite probably the most popular movie series of all time. It you mention Star Wars or Darth Vader, or Yoda, or R2D2, most anyone on the street will at least have an idea of what you are talking about. In that regard, I think Star Wars is more popular than LOTR. However, if you ask how many of them actually like Star Wars, the results are quite a bit lower. The general public is aware, and they think it is OK, but not anything to really get excited about.

LOTR, on the other hand, may not be as popular to the common man on the street, but I think it may have a bigger "knowledgable/hardcore" fan base. Anyone who has actually read all the way through them likes them a lot. It is an accomplishment to read them, and if you do, it is very rewarding. It also appeals to a broader audience. The audience is a little harder to reach (investment of time to read the books, age to be able to read them and remember/comprehend, and intellect to fully grasp concepts dealt with in them) whereas Star Wars appeals to you if you are alive, and not so cynical that you can't enjoy yourself a little.

As far as the movies themselves, I think Star Wars will win hands down in effects and choreography. However, I think LOTR will be better acted with better dialog, better costume and set design, better overall plot, and better direction. All these I think are probably beyond debate, as George doesn't really do any of them well.

I think the public may be rather turned off to Star Wars by TPM, and I fear the next installments will illustrate that. I think LOTR will do much better with the average public (once they find out about and hear about it) than Star Wars. I think that most

11. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    I am really quite appalled at your ignorance, jedichick. (LOL, I sound like a British gentleman, "I am really quite appalled")

You just seem to spout the same things over, without responding to any argument different than yours. Do you even read the posts that you are talking about or replying to? Why don't you use the big girl voice when posting on the forum, and quit trying to impresss us all with your "giftedness."

12. jedichick81986

Aug 3, 2001
    Yes, but all these LotR fans came over here and started dissing my movie.Believe me i will stand up for these movies!As for the general public...these boys in my French class would get in a circle and just start talking about SW.I know a lot of people who like SW! As for Hollywood and books...I don't trust Hollywood with those kinds of things.Also,personally I loved the Phantom Menace!

13. jedichick81986

Aug 3, 2001
    The only reason why I sound ignorant to you is because I offended you!

14. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    ahaha elves from the medieval times? are you insane? Elves come from BEFORE the midieval times and the were COMPLETLY DIFFERENT mostly they were little creatures flapping around on wings.

Tolkiens Elves are like Humans only taller and more beautiful they also live for all eternity. and I can tell you everybody from my family LIKES LOTR only 3 like STAR WARS

I think I finished your argument about people like Star wars more.

they don't okay! just because they do where you live doesn't mean they do everywhere. (almost everybody here has a copy while I only know 1 other friend with a copy of Star wars video's)

15. Ozma

Aug 24, 2001
    "As far as the movies themselves, I think Star Wars will win hands down in effects and choreography. However, I think LOTR will be better acted with better dialog, better costume and set design, better overall plot, and better direction. All these I think are probably beyond debate, as George doesn't really do any of them well."

I thought this way too, until I saw all the trailers for Fellowship. The effects and choreography look magnificent, simply astounding. Just wait, it's gonna be a treat to see I think, and even moreso to we who've enjoyed the novels. So, really, Fellowship will win on all counts. Not that I won't enjoy AotC, just that it won't be as good. Add to that the fact that Fellowship is actually the SLOW movie, compared to the other two, and man, we're gonna have 3 awesome films to view in the LotR trilogy. If you have any doubts as to how wonderful it'll look, go download the new trailer. It's immaculate.

16. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!

No one is dissing on "your" movie. You think you have a claim to Star Wars because you happen to like it and have seen it a bunch.

And no one was dissing on Star Wars anyway. In case you haven't guessed, this was a fun thread, and people were giving each other a little good natured ribbing. I don't know a single LOTR fan who doesn't like Star Wars. And if LOTR does better than Star Wars, I will still be a Star Wars fan. Do you hate Titanic because it beat Star Wars at the box office. I dislike parts of it because it has one of the cheesiest love stories of all time, and I can't stand Leo or Kate.

Star Wars does not need you to "defend" it. God forbid that some people have a differing opinion than you, or like something other than Star Wars. I don't think that that is in any way an attack on you. Why don't you try to get over some of your ridiculous fanboy/girl notions, and live in the real world. Yeah, I am a huge Star Wars fan, but it is only a movie. Not a religion.

17. jedichick81986

Aug 3, 2001
    Elves and wizards are mostly known from the medieval times!!!!! Where the heck do you live,from planet "I Only Love LotR"! SW has a much bigger fanbase than LotR!!!!!Sorry you didn't settle my argument!

18. Beor

Beor Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2001
    Smart people really don't like Lord of the Rings? I guess this Ivy League school I got into just let me in for laughs Jedichick

19. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    LOTR is boring? here are some scenes for you

[image=http://www.ringfan.com/~mbass/www.tolkienmovies.com/images/wallpaper/concept3_8x6.jpg]

[image=http://www.ringfan.com/~mbass/www.tolkienmovies.com/images/characters/newline-gandalfhdeep.jpg]

[image=http://www.ringfan.com/~mbass/www.tolkienmovies.com/images/officialpics/newline-rohangondor.jpg]

I live in belgium where people actually read through the books before saying they are boring

wanna bet you gave up on LOTR before you got past page 200?

20. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    No, you sound ignorant to me because you don't know what you are talking about, you don't have any logical argument at all, and you continually act immature by not actually discussing anything you are at odds with. Anyone who acts similarly is, in my book, ignorant. Back up your statements with facts, and barring that, just good examples and reasoning. "Star Wars has a bigger fan base. So there." Grow up. Read my posts. Explain yourself. Act maturely. Do all of them and make sense, and maybe people will respect you. Otherwise, get off the boards.

Bill Clinton often offended me, but I didn't think he was ignorant. He was one of the smartest politicians the world has ever known. I didn't agree with most of the things he did, but he was a very good orater, and he was very charismatic.

21. jedichick81986

Aug 3, 2001
    Maybe you need to realize what you are saying also!I said SW will be better than LotR.What did you, attack me for my opinion!
    As for reality some LotR fan said something like..instead of the Twin Towers they will talk about the Two Towers...uhhhh no.In reality a lot of people got hurt in that incident and the news media could care lessif another LotR movie comes out!Don't compare LotR to something realistic! No,i don't hate Titanic.I don't hate Pearl Harbor either! If anyone thinks my life revolves around SW you are dead wrong.I have other things on my mind...but right now I'm in a defensive mood!

22. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    I didn't attack you for your opinion, it's called a DEBATE it's how these boards WORK

if you want to make your opinion clear you have to back it up

simple rule follow it or don't post.

23. Ozma

Aug 24, 2001
    Folks, if you were arguing with someone competant, your arguments would no doubt be sufficient to win. However...you aren't. LOL

Anywho, I'm in total agreement with the guy a bit above who said that liking Star Wars or liking Lord of the Rings isn't a one way thing. You may enjoy both. Me, I own about 100 movies on DVD, none of em Star Wars (for obvious reasons), so obviously I must be a HUGE TRAITOR, right? This is ridiculous. You are allowed to like them both, and frankly, you SHOULD like them both. They are both fantastic experiences, and enriching to those who watch/read them. Go do so, if you haven't already.

24. jedichick81986

Aug 3, 2001
    In my OPINION LotR is boring and you are just going to have to live with the fact that I thought it wasn't that good!Don't say that someone is ignorant because of their opinion okay!

25. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Geeky Fanboy Movie is better then Your Geeky Fanboy Movie!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.