main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Top 10 Reasons LOTR will never be as good as Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Duckman, Sep 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughing_Manyskins

Laughing_Manyskins Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    After going throught the first bit of these replies I just decided to post a reply without having to read ever arguing point.

I am going to agree with Gandalf the Grey. I think LOTR will do better than ATOC. Of course I am much more partial to fantasy anyway. LOTR has been around longer and is truely a magnifecient story that has changed the way all fantasy has been written or told. Everything in good modern sci-fi comes from this.When the master writers of sci-fi such as Nivens and Clarke bow their respects to it how can anything compare to it.

On the otherhand the name alone is keeping me from the next Star Wars movie. I just, in good consience, spend money to watch the movie.

2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I am going to agree with Gandalf the Grey.

The first step onto the path of enlightenment. ;) :D

3. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I was gonna post more reasons LOTR sucks compared to Star Wars, but I can't. The movie was awesome! Better than the book, even.

However, if I wanna be picky, I would complain that the music was unmemorable, and the best line from the book ("In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie") was left out.
    Other than that, it was superb!

4. JediElfie

JediElfie Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 7, 2001
    Guys...I think this thread was meant to be FUNNY and you are all taking it way to seriously.

:D

I personally thought it was hilarious!

5. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    Lighten up people, it's HUMOR :D :D

6. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    This society, of which I am the founding member, has dedicated itself to defending the true vision of Lord of the Rings, not the blasphemy represented by the film. We are also petitioning the director, Peter Jackson, to step down and allow someone with true vision (like, say, I don?t know . . . George Lucas?) to take over the series. So please only post here if you have something bad to say about LOTR Episode I: The Phantom Fellowship. I?ll start with my list.

1. That first shot of Sauron in the prolog looks so fake, like something out of Spawn.
    2. The part where that dude cuts off Sauron's ring finger is cool, but why do we have to see it 3 times throughout the movie? Wasn't the running time long enough?
    3. Hobbit-town looks like Teletubbie village.
    4. Frodo is almost as boring a hero as Luke.
    5. They obviously used midgets or children for some of the shots of hobbits.
    6. Pippin is as clumsy as he is stupid.
    7. Too many drug references with the weed and the magic mushrooms.
    8. What the hell were Pippin and Merry doing so far out of the shire, anyway?
    9. The fight between Gandalf and Sauruman (any relation?) was silly, especially when Gadalf was spinning round.
    10. The Orcs were too much like monsters from one of Peter Jackson's splatter movies.
    11. Frodo looked constipated when he got stabbed.
    12. And why did he die twice?

More to come . . .
    :p

7. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
  8. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    13. Why did they call the elf village Riverdale? Made me think of Archie comics.
    14. Why was Elron played by a block of wood?
    15. That shot of Bilbo making a demon face was totally out of place. They say Lucas overdoes the CG?

9. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    Yeah, Bilbo's momentary freak-out just made me laugh. Where did THAT come from, anyway?

Same thing with Cate Blanchette and that "Fear of God" speech she yelled to Frodo. What, exactly did that MEAN?

(Gosh, the more I think of it, the more I dislike this movie.)

Duckman: It's not "Riverdale." I believe it's Rivendale.

10. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Rivendell.

11. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    Ah, yes. Thank you.

:)

12. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    "In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!"

It meant that she faced her deepest, darkest desire for the ring (seeing as she was already bearer of one of the three Elven rings, if she also had the One Ring, her power would be exponential)... and conquered it.

Bilbo's "freak-out" was meant to illustrate that he was rapidly turning into a Gollum-like creature... the transformation process was accelerated by the temptation of the One Ring.

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Of course it makes perfect sense to book readers (of which I'm one) but I could see several things in the movie confusing non-readers.
    I only got about a million questions from all my non-LOTR reading friends after the movie.

14. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    Actually, I hadn't read the books (unless you count my mom recounting them to me between the age of 4 and 6) before seeing the film. My hubby knew nothing but the most basic storyline... and I think we both understood the film pretty well.

I guess that makes us both pretty big geeks. :p

15. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm not sure that the nanosecond of Bilbo-Gollum footage was meant to be taken literally. I view it as impressionistic cinematography.

16. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    16. Why did Frodo pronouce "Mordor" "Muldor"?

17. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    Geeze, and I thought that I was a nit-picker. :p

Besides, I don't feel these small superficial "ticks" really reflect the overall quality of the film. I can think of numerous equivalent moments in Star Wars, and I don't love that series any less because of them.

18. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    George Lucas taking over the helm of LOTR...

Now..now let's not be hasty..remember...[Shudder] Willow [/shudder]

19. Exiled

Exiled Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2001
    1 Palpatine
    2 Light Sabres
    3 Vader
    4 Yoda
    5 Padme
    6 John Williams
    7 The Death Star
    8 X-Wings
    9 Various Planets/Settings
    10 Space Battles

20. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    Which Death Star? [face_mischief]

21. Exiled

Apr 6, 2001
    The first one. It blew up a planet. I mean what is cooler than that? ;)

22. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    Hmmm... I know this is totally out of left field, but I wonder who would win this match-up?

The Dark Lord Sauron

Sauron was one of the mightiest (perhaps the mightiest) of the Maiar (Gandalf's race, almost demi-gods), and in the beginning of days he served Aulë the Smith. From Aulë he learnt much of forging and making, knowledge that he would make use of many thousands of years later when he built the Barad-dûr and forged the One Ring.

In the earliest days, Melkor seduced Sauron and took him to his own service, and Sauron became the greatest and most trusted of his followers. In the fire-mountain of Orodruin, Sauron secretly forged the One Ring. This was to be the first stroke in his conquest of the west - a device by which he could know, and control, the thoughts of the bearers of the other Rings. His physical body was destroyed at the Last Alliance by Isidur, but his spirit remained, connected with the ring he forged. He manifests himself in the form of the Eye of Sauron and the Mouth of Sauron.

[image=http://www.fantasyplanet.cz/gfx/pictures_clanky/lotr_gal_velky_2001_12_7_9_0_29.jpg]

or

Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith

He began life as Anakin Skywalker, a young slave from Tatooine skilled in piloting and strong in the Force. Once discovered by maverick Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, Anakin was taken before the Jedi Council to be trained. There was some controversy on the subject -- despite Jinn's adamant assurances that Skywalker was the chosen one spoken of in an ancient Jedi prophecy, the council was hesitant to allow his training at the age of nine.

Skywalker was seduced by the dark side of the Force. Fueled by rage and discontent with the pace of Obi-Wan's training, Anakin challenged his master to a duel. Despite newfound power bestowed by the dark side of the Force, which added to his already formidable abilities, Anakin was grievously wounded in the fight. In the chaos that accompanied Palpatine's rise to power, Vader became one of the Emperor's most loyal servants. The Emperor entrusted him with the elimination of the Jedi Knights. During these dark times, Vader and his agents destroyed the Jedi order.

[image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/pics/Characters/Darth_Vader/The_Empire_Strikes_Back/darthv.jpg]

???

23. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    I think alot of people understimated LOTR back a few months ago, Including the McNerf. Now, however, it is my all time favorite movie, ever.

24. Exiled

Apr 6, 2001
    Actually a better comparison in my opinion would be Palpatine vs Sauron. The baddest of both worlds going up against each other. Death-Match anyone?

25. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Vader and Sauron? I'll just have to play SW geek on this one, Vader had fifty times the screen presence Sauron does (movie for movie, not counting the whole OT against FOTR).
    I thought Sauron's physical rendering (never done in the books) was a weak spot.
    I'll say it again, he's Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... Cheesy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.