main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Top 100 Assassinations Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The assassination of Kim Jong Nan was pretty intense, but a weak cousin to the poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko, perhaps Putin's most Putinesque moment until he started blackmailing a U.S. president.

On its face, polonium poisoning was a truly ingenious idea. Difficult to detect by conventional means. But once scientists figured out that a lethal dose of polonium was the culprit, it quickly became clear just how sloppy and amateurish the assassins had been. They spilled polonium all over everything wherever they went. In hotels, in cars, on planes, etc., making it obvious to everyone exactly what happened. On the other hand, Putin was able to send a pretty clear message about the extent he was willing to go to punish an enemy with a slow and painful death. Truly puts to shame the stories of Soviet era KGB traitors being fed feet first into Kremlin furnaces.

Herculean efforts, sloppy planning, getting lucky at just the right moment. These are common themes across the history of political hits.

What's your favorite assassination?

2. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Gavrilo Princip killing Franz Ferdinand and his wife. The circumstances in which it happened makes it look like it was predetermined by fate instead of coincidence.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker and Rylo Ken like this.
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I thought you would be doing a countdown or something. You want us to do the work??

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Realistically, I'd imagine the top-3 (for impact) would have to be Archduke Ferdinand, JFK, and Lincoln?

5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Yes!

6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

Julius Caesar? Gandhi?

MrZAP and Ender Sai like this.
  7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I've always found Jack Ruby assasinating Lee Harvey Oswald to be captivating with all the controversy around JFK's assassination and the fact that it happened with so many police and the media right there to film it. Plus the goofy look on Oswald's face when he gets shot almost makes the whole thing comical.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Weaklings.

Also, Caesar got only the one play about him -- Lincoln and JFK have so, so many movies, books, etc... :p

EDIT: Though his dressing is also pretty good. I probably wouldn't eat a salad with Lincoln Dressing...

Darth Punk and Rylo Ken like this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'd be tempted to put the assassination of MLK as more important to the history of the U.S. than that of JFK, though perhaps the consequences/aftermath of their deaths are a bit intertwined.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Hitler assassinating Hitler.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The Assassination of Emperor Uriel Septim VII at the hands of the Mythic Dawn, which caused the Dragonfires to be snuffed out and allowed the Daedra Prince Mehrunes Dagon to invade Tamriel, which led to the eventual breakup of the Septim Empire and the resurgence of the Aldmeri Dominion.

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    the only one who could have pulled it off

13. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

If we're going that way, Garona assassinating King Wrynn was way more of an issue. :p

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think for sheer chutzpah it has to be Putin nuking Litvinenko but for lasting impact Archduke Ferdinand.

We're still awaiting a forensic analysis of The Donald's of course...

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    What a cheerful thread...

But, alas, if I must share some joy to this topic...Archbishop Thomas Becket.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Not as politically impactful, but presaging the assassination of the Archduke was the fatal stabbing of Empress Elisabeth.

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    It's comforting to know that no matter how bad my life becomes. No matter how depressed I get. No matter how many tears I shed. I can always rely on Rylo Ken to cheer me up with his joyful threads...

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

you're welcome

Darth Punk and G-FETT like this.
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Pfft, that was clearly a fabricated incident. Everyone knows Uriel Septim was bald.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  23. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Georgi Markov - assassination by ricin-tipped umbrella on Waterloo Bridge. Done by the KGB/Bulgarian secret service but what a delightfully British way to shuffle a chap off this mortal coil.

Point Given , SuperWatto and G-FETT like this.
  24. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014

dp4m likes this.
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    John Lennon

Thanks Murica