main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY top 25 sci-fi movies and TV from the last 25yrs.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TK8049, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK8049

TK8049 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2006
    This is in this weeks Entertainment Weekly and they are as follows:
    1.THE MATRIX
    2.BSG
    3.BLADERUNNER
    4.THE X FILES
    5.STAR TREK 2
    6.BRAZIL
    7.E.T.
    8.ST:TNG
    9.ALIENS
    10.THE THING
    11.LOST
    12.BACK TO THE FUTURE
    13.TERMINATOR 1 AND 2
    14.CHILDREN OF MEN
    15.FIREFLY/SERENITY
    16.TOTAL RECALL
    17.ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
    18.HEROES
    19.STARSHIP TROOPERS
    20.CLONE WARS
    21.FUTURAMA
    22.QUANTUM LEAP
    23.DR.WHO
    24.GALAXY QUEST
    25.V:THE MINISERIES
    PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS ANY OMISSIONS OR ERRORS YOU SEE ON THIS LIST.

2. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    Its not a bad list, I did just watch Children of Men and was totally blown away, its awesome! pv

3. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    I thought Children of Men was absolutely horrible. YUK. It is the "modern day Blade Runner" if Blade Runner was had no futuristic gadgets and a loose boring script. I was really disappointed. The one redeeming quality was that long continuous shot at the end in the battle scene. That was pretty B.A. other than that I didn't get the hype at all.

I would have like to seen V higher on the list. Matrix as #1 is questionable since Matix 2 and 3 really tainted the good things about the first film.

4. Wil_Sinistar

Wil_Sinistar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2006
    Firefly, The Thing, and Galaxy Quest should all rank higher.

5. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    well, it's for the past 25 years, which is I guess was done to knock out Star Wars and Empire from being on the list. I don't agree with some of the order but I do think Wrath of Khan was better than anything X-Files had to offer, and I loved X-Files. And as far as I'm concerned, Matrix ends at one movie - I don't even acknowledge the other..uh..there were others?, but there is no way anything outdoes Bladerunner IMO.

6. TK8049

TK8049 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2006
    NO PREDATOR.NO STAR WARS.NO INDEPENDENCE DAY.How are comic book movies not considered scifi? I am glad there was no War of the Worlds or Planet of the Apes.How does DR.Who and STARSHIP TROOPERS get on the list?

7. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    Comic Book movies are in thier own genre, not sci-fi. I was disappointed not to see Independence Day on there, that flick was awesome. And you are high tkytrooper if you think Children of Men was a bad movie. The cointinous shot throughout the julianne moore "car" scene (no spoilers here) was awesome, it put the veiwer in the vehicle with them. Overall the movie didn't go alo of places, but it was still a good flick. pv

8. willismaximus

willismaximus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2006
    Starship troopers was awesome . . .the second one was abyssimal though. And yeah, the lack of ID4 is a crime.

9. ice1138

ice1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2005

,,,,,,,,,,There was a second one?

10. TKYTROOPER

Sep 18, 2005
    Yeah it was straight to DVD so you know it has to be good. lol

11. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    Well, it seems we have found a new hot button issue to debate both here and in person. So, since we are having a party this weekend to celebrate sw big 30, we came up with the idea for anyone who wants to participate to make your own list of THE TOP 25 SCI-FI MOVIES OF ALL TIME. Now there are a few criteria:
    1. No sw saga movies. We all know those would make our lists, so theres no need to waste the 6 spots.
    2. Make your list according to your won personal criteria of what a sci-fi movie is (some like would include animated, comic book, horror, etc)
    3. No TV series or shows. We can do a TV list later.
    4. Remember this is all-time, not just the last 25 years.

Several of us have had heated debate over some choices on the EW 25 list so bring your list to the party and we'll discuss them. I've already started on mine and I'm having a very tough time getting my favorites down to just 25, (I'm at 61 right now!). Anyway, post questions or thoughts here and I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! pv

12. TKYTROOPER

Sep 18, 2005
    Don't you think it would be easier if we eliminated say, FANTASY and HORROR from the list? I mean some films might fit into both catagories like ALIEN but stuff like FRIDAY THE 13TH.? I would like to see our lists exclude fantasy and horror or even comedy for that matter. It would make it much easier to narrow down that 25 then. 25 really isn't that many for abunch of geeks like us. lol What do you guys think?

13. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    I agree, but we had this discussion yesterday and I got out voted because there were several choices that some other members would include in sci-fi that I wouldnt. So we decided to leave it up to personal criteria. I don't think Fantasy would be included in sci-fi, but I also think that comic book movies should have thier own genre and not be included, but I was the minority on this line of thought. Bottom line was we could'nt come up with a perfect sci-fi criteria so its up to you, we just reserve the right to make fun of you for putting Lord of the Rings on a sci-fi list, lol. pv

14. Valhalla

Valhalla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2006
    I classify Sci-FI as anything based on sciectific principles ie.. Aliens, Medical experiments/ Mutations, Laser guns, Star Craft, and most anything set into the future. Fantasy would include anything of a natural\super-natural origin ie.. Dragons, Wizards, Sword and Sorcery, Magic, Elves. Comic book movies do fall into their own category, but only if they are super-hero style movies ie X-Men, Spider-man. Other comic based movies that are not super hero inclusive go into other categories (300 is Fantasy, 30 Days of Night will be Horror, Flash Gordon is Sci-Fi.)

Just my 2 Imperial Credits.

15. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    According to Wikipedia and I agree:

Science fiction often involves one or more of the following elements:

* A setting in the future or on an alternative time line.
    * A setting in outer space or involving aliens or unknown civilizations.
    * The discovery or application of new scientific principles, such as time
    travel or psionics, or new technology, such as nanotechnology,
    faster-than-light travel or robots.
    * Political or social systems different from those of the known present
    or past.

I agree that superheroes are their own genre, of which there can be a subgenre of sci-fiction, like Flash Gordon, or perhaps even V for Vendetta.

The lines start to cross when you get to films like Terminator and Aliens. Terminator could be thought of as sci-fi or action. And Aliens can be sci-fi or horror. But I say if it has anything to do with space, robots, time travel, and/or the future it falls somewhere in the sci-fi category.

Science fiction has to be based in science first, whether altered or advanced, and does not contain anything supernatural such as in the Superhero, Horror, Fantasy, or those films that give you the experience of being on acid or wish you had some - such films as The Wall, Leonard Part 6, or Look Who's Talking 1, 2, and 3 (if you know what Leanard Part 6 is then I know your pain).

A lot of sci-fi movies are based on the possibilities of what we my find out from science on down the line, and can either be applied in movies about the past, close present, or future. And a lot of others have to do with aliens or biotechnology.

But, also what it isn't is fiction based on the journey and discovery of real science. The Right Stuff is not a science fiction movie. Nor is, ugh, Twister. Those type of movies always have to fall into some other category.

So now that we all know I'm a dweeb and you've all fallen asleep, wake up and make your freakin list. And now that I've said all of this, I'm not sure I've seen enough true sci-fi movies to have 25 that for which I absolutely had a fondness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.