main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Top 5 Star Wars Games. How did we do?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by marsmel, Jan 1, 2016.

1. marsmel

marsmel Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    My friends and I started this YouTube channel as a final year university thesis project, and we're getting marked on it. In this video, we picked what we think are the top 5 Star Wars games (excluding Battlefront). How did we do? Any suggestions what should've made the list?

critique/discussion welcome! We hope we gave the games a fair review.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Really solid list. I also like that it wasn't too predictable either. Battlefront 2 is still the GOAT Star Wars game of course:p and Bounty Hunter is a personal favorite of mine but I really enjoyed your video. Good work.:)

3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The list is console-centric (no PC games). I think PC gamers would have picked one of the space flight sims over Rogue Squadron. But I liked the selections.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  4. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    X-wing and esp Tie-fighter are vastly better than any of those IMO

ISD_Devastator and Riv_Shiel like this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Battlefront II is not the GOAT Star Wars game. It's a mindless, vacuous waste of time with no depth whatsoever. Of course, being a prequels fan, it might be just what you're looking for. But I can easily list dozens of better games than it.

Dark Forces I and II. Rebellion. X-Wing/X-Wing vs TIE Fighter/TIE Fighter/X-Wing Alliance. Force Commander. KoTOR I and II. TOR. Episode I Racer. Hell, even TPM the game.

Howard Hand and Riv_Shiel like this.
  6. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

Pure trash. Being over 25, it might be what you're looking for...

KOTOR GOAT too

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you play a light side character who uses force lightning?

What precisely about any of these is trash? None are just a superficial reskins of an existing game with a paper thin plot (hence why "Galactic Battlegrounds" is off the list), so..?

8. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Thats what I want in games. Gameplay. Stories are cool in KOTOR 1 and 2. TPM is a movie game. Podrace games......pass. I hate rebellion vs empire. Generic space opera garb.

To be rair, it's been forever since I played KOTOR.

Life likes this.
  9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Tetris has no depth whatsoever. It's the greatest game of all time.

Darkslayer and Deliveranze like this.
  10. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    marsmel, that's a terrible top 5 list, but then again, it depends on what SW games you have played so far.

I would say:
    1) DF I / II
    2) X-Wing / TIE Fighter
    3) KOTOR I / II
    4) Rogue Squadron
    5) TPM (don't judge me!)

I would suggest you pick a timeline and then rank the games - say starting from 2003 onwards - cause' if your current top 5 list is an all-time greatest list then you are just wrong (besides #3 and #1 that you listed, but not in that ranking).

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Mine is:

1) The Old Republic
    2) Knights of the Old Republic
    3) Battlefront II
    4) The Force Unleashed
    5) Empire at War: Forces of Corruption

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Really.

The Farce Unleashed?

The most ridiculously silly over the top force powers and stupid story game ever?

13. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    Empire at War: Forces of Corruption is absolutely great if you use mods (base game is pretty weak IMO)

Both Republic at War and Thrawn's Revenge are fantastic mods for Empire at War: FoC

Deliveranze likes this.
  14. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I can't voice opinions on Rogue Squadron, but if I had made the list I would have definitely included KOTOR and Super Star Wars. I disagree with the TPM podracing one, but I think as long as you include Knights of the Old Republic as your top spot, you're fine.

Your video was really well made and you have a likable presence in videos! Perhaps YouTube-ing can become more than just something you do for class.

15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I've never played that game because I didn't like the story premise of Vader's secret apprentice. I don't like stories set between films, and I don't like the idea of Vader having secretly had an apprentice, so I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. However, over the top Force powers by itself, I have nothing against. We play games for fun, so let it be fun. If it was set in the Old Republic era I would probably have enjoyed it.

Deliveranze likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yep. Of course the gameplay is over the top, but that's part of the fun. And I really enjoy the story, that's why I love the game actually. For me, if a game has a bad story, odds are I will not have a very high opinion of it. I just love the twists and turns the writers put me through for TFU.
    Agreed on the mods part, there are some game-breaking bugs in FoC I've discovered lol. I tried to install Republic at War once but it wouldn't work. Any suggestions? I have a new computer now (my old one was just croppying out) so maybe that will help.

darskpine10 and Deliveranze like this.
  17. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

Agree. The Force Unleashed was an awesome origin to the Rebel Alliance. Everytime I see the Rebellion symbol, I always remember Galen Marek's sacrifice :(

darskpine10 and Darkslayer like this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why, it's not canon.

There's no Galen Marek. :)

Deliveranze likes this.
  19. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    I couldn't stomach thinking the Force Unleased was actual canon at one point.

Also my list:

1 - Knights of the Old Republic
    2 - X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
    3 - Jedi Starfighter
    4 - SWTOR
    5 - Battlefront 2

20. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Some guy fixed the freezing issue (which was the worst bug by far). I think if you google Thrawn's Revenge they have it on their forum. There's a utility that will fix save game files where the freeze bug has set in

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. prince_david

prince_david Jedi Knight

Aug 7, 2008
    It's a personal preference. My favorite of all time was the X-Wing and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter game. Those were really immersive space simulators

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  22. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

In my own self entitlement, there is always a Galen Marek. There is no TFU II however. :D

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    5. Republic Commando
    4. Knights of the Old Republic II
    3. Rogue Leader
    2. Battlefront 1
    1. Knights of the Old Republic

HM: Bounty Hunter, Rogue Squadron 64, Battlefront II, Shadows of the Empire

You can pretty easily see when I started gaming. I have yet to play the X-Wing or Dark Forces games (though I got the Jedi Knight bundle in the recent Steam sale, so maybe soon!). I'll pick up the flight sims on GOG eventually.

Star Wars Arcade was pretty fun too. We need more rail shooters.

Life likes this.
  24. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Definitely agreed on rail shooters! Those are a ton of fun.

MrZAP likes this.
  25. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    There's a reason why I love Time Crisis so much (aside from the hilarious dialogue/plots).