main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Top 5 Star Wars Games. How did we do?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by marsmel, Jan 1, 2016.

1. CorellianVolkswagen

CorellianVolkswagen Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    Mine would be (in no particular order)

Star Wars: The Arcade Game
    Knights Of The Old Republic (XBOX)
    Rogue Squadron (N64)
    Battlefront (the first one - XBOX)
    Force Unleashed

Honorable mention to TESB (Atari 2600), Obi-Wan (XBOX) and the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games on PC. All favorites of mine, but not really worthy of the top 5. I liked seeing Episode I Racer on there, I was a fan of that game even though I'm not big on racing games. Because of that I lost interest in it faster than many Star Wars games, but I had a blast with it for month or two. The Starfighter games weren't bad either, and tied in nicely with the PT which were coming out at the time. Rogue Squadron III is pretty high on my list, even though the game itself isn't as good as the other two (though it does have some great levels), it has the old-school arcade where you can play the old arcade games.

2. CorellianVolkswagen

CorellianVolkswagen Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2016

I loved X-Wing and Tie Fighter, they were a little bit too technical for me though. When I was younger at least, I haven't played those games since the 90's. I remember it being almost as complicated as Microsoft Flight Simulator or something. 50 different commands for toggling power from weapons to shields, shields to throttle, etc. I don't really need to control every system on the ship. Might be just the thing for more technically minded fans, but I don't need anymore control than I get out of the Rogue Squadron games or the Fighter Squadron matches on the new Battlefront game. Flying and shooting, let an R2 unit take care of all that other stuff.

3. Viper78

Viper78 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    My top 5 would be

1. Rogue Squadron (N64/PC)
    2. Rogue Squadron 2 (GAMECUBE)
    3. Shadows of the Empire (N64/PC)
    4. Rogue Squadron 3 (GAMECUBE)
    5. Episode 1 Racer (N64/DREAMCAST/PC)

I have played quite a few Star Wars games although admittedly not all so this is based on the games I have played. I do have the original XBOX Star Wars Battlefront but for some reason I never really took to it. That might change when I finally get round to buying an XBOX One and the new Battlefront game which does look amazing!

Some other great games that missed out on my top 5 were

Jedi Knight: Dark forces 2 (PC)
    Star Wars (ARCADE MACHINE 1983)
    Star Wars Arcade (SEGA MEGADRIVE/32X)

Jedi Ben and Life like this.
  4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015

Yep, Battlefront 2 is pretty shallow and lacks very much replay value when compared to some of the better Star Wars games. The repetitive maps don't help either (try differentiating the space battle maps from one another). I would still rank it over the new one though.

Another major detriment for me is that half of the game takes place in the prequel era which simply isn't interesting to play in. Sure, the worlds are colorful but it all feels strangely disconnected. You can either fight as the faceless, emotionless droids, or the faceless mostly-emotionless clones. And if you're really lucky, emotionless monks will occasionally drop into the battle to help out.
    I know it technically doesn't affect gameplay or anything but it's always bothered me.

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
  6. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    How can anyone not like Battlefront 2!?!?!? :_|

1. Battlefront 2
    2. Knights of the Old Republic
    3. Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy
    4. Jedi Power Battles
    5. Galactic Battlegrounds (with Expac)

Deliveranze likes this.
  7. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Another #1 vote for TIE Fighter here 8)

I found it amusing. For a change, by the time you got your character up in the powers your enemies weren't also superpowered ultraimmortals. Not all of them, at least.
    Without any sort of difficulty scaling things get ridiculous, but sometimes it just makes playing the endgame tedious. See "JK: Jedi Academy" and its last third. There you get maybe a couple of Stormtroopers etc in total while all the other enemies are Jedi/Sith in twos and threes.

8. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm still not sure why The Force Unleashed didn't work. It's a bit like a "blur of bad". There was clearly a lot of effort put into it but it doesn't translate into a good game. The OK-ish story can't compensate for the wonky gameplay mechanics, (especially regarding the camera) short length, and repetitive levels.

Perhaps the developers spread themselves too thin over the 10 different console releases.

Hmm, I think I know why it didn't work now...

9. IronMant

IronMant Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    The Force Unleashed is great... as an art book.

10. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah,there was clearly a lot of effort put into the art design of the game. Some pretty interesting worlds and creatures.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, some people don't like vacuous games with no depth?

12. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Not every game has to be story driven immersive adventure, Light and just pure fun are golden, gives them great replayability, especially multiplayer!

Life likes this.