main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Top Coaches In Professional/College Sports

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by heels1785 , Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Didn't see a thread relating to coaches on the boards, so this is for debate regarding the top coaches in any realm of sports, from American Football, college or pro, to soccer, to basketball, etc. Past or Present.

I'll start, with the NFL.

Top Overall Coach: Belichick, although the gap is clearly narrowing with the slew of young coaching talent entering the ranks. Arguments could also be made for Parcells and Dungy.

Best Young Talent: Eric Mangini of the Jets, Mike Nolan of the Niners, and Sean Payton of the Saints. All three have a no-nonsense aura installed in their programs, with Nolan clearly the strictest, at least according to Kevan Barlow, who labeled him a dictator, I believe. :p All three are enjoying great success presently, but at least in my opinion, they are three coaches built to last in this league.

Most Underappreciated Coach: Jeff Fisher, Tennessee. Even though the past few weeks have been a Fisher lovefest on Sportscenter after his two victories, Fisher has never dropped out of the top tier, even as his success rate in the NFL has declined following the Super Bowl run. The whole McNair debacle put a black eye on the franchise, however the ability to win with a young group whose talent level is not in the NFL's upper echelon is the mark of a great coach.

Overrated Coach: Certainly Andy Reid, although he's enduring his bumps and bruises this season. In the past, he had Brad Childress and Jim Johnson running his team, essentially, and an incredible amount of talent that I believe 90 percent of the league's coaches could win with during the Eagles' NFC Championship streak.

Under the Radar: Nick Saban, Miami. Watching Saban in the SEC, it was always clear that this guy had bigger and better days ahead of him, and even though Miami has struggled and exploded in streaks in the past two years, Saban has got the humility, discipline, and intelligence to win in the NFL, in my opinion. However, his ability will be tested as Miami's aging defense will slowly be transformed, and of course there's his quarterback situation. I think he'll stay in Miami for a good long while, and at least have a few great playoff runs.

Shred my NFL picks, or branch out into baseball, basketball, soccer, whatever.

Let the debate begin. [face_peace]

2. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    I agree with almost everything, though I would not put Dungy in the same class as Belichick and Parcells. Dungy is actually more like Schottenheimer, as he is also building a reputation of leading great regular season teams and losing in the playoffs.

3. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Everyone adores Saban, he's not really under the radar.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yep, I agree with that comparison.

An argument could also be made that Tom Moore is to credit with the Colts' offensive success, yet Dungy, the defensive mastermind, has still failed to build a dominant defense in Indianapolis--his closest attempt coming last year.

I should have also included Bill Cowher in that top group, even though his team is struggling this year as a result of injury. He has been a consistent winner in this league, and even though he's had his fair share of great coordinators like Lebeau and Capers, I don't doubt his abilities to motivate and inspire his players. It's a tough task following a legend like Chuck Noll, and Cowher has done it well for a long period of time, something that could not be said for a coach such as George Seifert, who followed Walsh and had a great spurt of winning, but couldn't make it last, and was mediocre in Carolina.

NYJ: I would agree to some extent that there are no coaches really, truly "under the radar" in the NFL, simply because it is such a giant media generator, and there are only 32 head coaches. However, I was looking for someone who I don't hear that much about, even though I'm remotely close to Florida.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I have to completely disagree with Saban as being under the radar. With all the pub he got last year as a genuis for his near-make of the playoffs, he's just gotten to much publicity and credit to be truly under the radar.

I'm in total agreement that Captain Hoodie is the best coach in the NFL. Bill Belicheck is simply the man.

Most Underappreciated Coach? How about Bill Cowher. He's got some love in January/Februrary for the playoff run, but remember what he did his first few seasons in Pittsburgh, and combine that with the fact that most of his "bad" comes from AFC Title games, where he's had some bad luck (Patriots dynasts, John Elway on a destiny collision course, **** Pupunu), and not really been outcoached al that often.

Best Young Coach? Give me Nolan. Props to Mangini, but Nolan is contending, honestly contending, with the 49ers.

Most overrated coach? Hard to argue against Reid, but I'll take John Fox. Good coaches simply don't blow that many fourth quarter leads.

Worst coach? Art Shell.

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    :p

Yeah, I forgot that category. My vote would go to Coughlin, but he actually cares about the game (as shown when he ran down Kiwanuka last weekend), rather than hibernating in his giant puffy Raiders jacket. So yeah, that one's a push for me.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    For College Basketball:

Top Coaches:
    Coach K
    Roy Williams
    Jim Boehiem
    (and reluctantly, since I don't care for either of them), Bob Knight and Jim Calhoun

Top Coach at a mid major: Bobby Cremins

Young Coach still mostly under the radar: Gregg Marshall, Winthrop

8. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    College Football: Pete Carroll (forget his NFL career, the man is pure gold with college talent--look what he did at SC, the Trojans may have been overrated this year, but they still one their conferene after losing to Heisman Trophy winners in one year)

Pro Football: I have to go with Bill Parcells, just because he has consistantly taken bad teams and made them good and can coach players that no one else can work with: Brian Cox, Lawrence Taylor, and he even seems to have more success with TO than others who have tried. Of the younger generation I too like Eric Mangini.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Alright, gotta knock out some work, but here are my lists for college football and basketball.

College Basketball:

Elite:
    Roy Williams
    Tom Izzo
    Coach K
    Boeheim
    Jim Calhoun
    Bob Knight
    Rick Pitino
    Billy Donovan
    Tubby Smith
    Lute Olsen

Not-so-elite, but often thought of as so:
    Rick Barnes
    John Calipari
    Bill Self

Watch Them Rise:
    Jamie Dixon
    Thad Matta
    Mark Gottfried
    John Thompson III
    Bruce Pearl

--------------
    College Football

Elite:
    Jim Tressel
    Pete Carroll
    Steve Spurrier
    Mack Barnes
    Bob Stoops
    Kirk Ferentz (I know this one may not go over well.)
    Joe Paterno
    Frank Beamer
    Bobby Bowden

On the verge:
    Charlie Weis
    Urban Meyer
    Les Miles
    Mark Richt
    Rich Rodriguez
    Bobby Petrino
    Tom O'Brien

Not-so-elite, but often thought of as so:
    PHILIP FULMER [face_frustrated]
    Dennis Franchione
    Tommy Bowden

Watch Them Rise:
    Tyrone Willingham (in his position at Washington)
    Bronco Mendenhall
    Greg Schiano
    Dan Hawkins (in his position at Colorado)
    Bret Bielema
    Mike Stoops

I know I probably missed a good many, sorry bout that.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Coaches I definitely should have included in my list earlier for College Basketball:
    Tom Izzo
    Rick Pitino
    Lute Olsen

Donovan I'd put in the "no-so-elite, but often thought of as so now" category, although he could join the truly elite group in a few years if his team becomes as good as they're rated.
    Smith is a good coach, but I'm not ready to put him in the truly elite group yet, either. He has a shot to get there still, but I'd put Donovan's chances higher for that right now than Smith's.
    Also, I think Bill Self could get there, but not yet.
    Calipari's a bit farther away than any others I've mentioned yet, but he could still make it eventually.

Definitely agree with Dixon, Matta, and John Thompson III on the "rising" list. They've all got a ways to go, but have very good starts so far.

Pearl I'm not so sure of as yet. He had a great year last year and definitely made a name for himself (especially in terms of fashion :p), but I'm not as convinced he's as good as some say. Still, the next few years will tell, and he definitely has the potential to get up there, I'm just a bit less sure about him.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Pearl greatly reminds me of Tom Izzo in his in-your-face style that his players still love. Both are very tough guys, and although Tennessee had a mental lapse against Winthrop in the first round of last year's NCAA, Pearl is a master motivator and will have no trouble forging a legacy at a traditionally weak basketball school if he continues to compete with Kentucky.

One guy I purposely left off of my college football list was Lloyd Carr, who I happen to consider as great coach, although he doesn't fit any of my categories. He is not overrated, but he is not elite, at least not at this point. However, neither is Bobby Bowden, so I guess I should have just included Carr in the elite. *shrug*

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Best Coach: Joe Gibbs, the current season may stink, but you can't deny the man's record overall. He's a Hall of Fame Coach. Oh and I will say it again: FIRE AL SAUNDERS! Runner up: Belichek. Losing so many players and yet still keep going to the playoffs/championships shows the mark of a great coach.

Most Underrated Coach: Sean Payton. I don't think the guy gets enough credit for helping turn around the losing culture of the Saints that has permeated there for a long time.

Most overratted/Worst Coach: Art Shell. The guy was brought in to be the so - called Savior of the Raiders and what's his record? 2 - 9? Savior? Yeah right.

As for College, I really don't follow the college scene too much, but Coach K is very respected in the Virginia/Carolina area.

13. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    College Basketball-Bo Ryan look at this resume

Career record of 495-152 (.765)
    Five-year record of 112-49 (.696) at Wisconsin (at least 19 wins in each of his first five seasons)
    Big Ten record of 55-25 (.688) ¿ Third-best conference winning percentage in Big Ten history (minimum 50 games coached)
    Has led UW to the NCAA Tournament in each of his five seasons
    Seven NCAA Tournament victories are most in school history Two NCAA Sweet 16 appearances in his five years, including the 2005 Elite Eight
    Has coached the three winningest teams in Wisconsin history, including school-record 25 wins in 2003-04 and 2004-05
    Only coach in Big Ten history to win at least 11 conference games in each of his first four seasons
    Highest career winning percentage of any active Division I coach with at least 20 years experience
    Led Wisconsin to a share of the 2002 Big Ten title and the outright conference title in 2003
    Named Big Ten Coach of the Year in 2002 and 2003
    One of just five coaches to earn Big Ten coach of the Year honors in consecutive seasons
    One of four coaches in Big Ten history to win conference titles in each of his first two seasons
    Led the Badgers to first back-to-back conference titles since 1923 and 1924.
    Guided Wisconsin to first-ever Big Ten tourney crown in 2004
    Has led UW to 72-5 home record, including 38-2 mark in Big Ten home contests
    Has won 10 conference titles in 22 years
    All-time winningest coach in Division III history (353-76, .822)
    Led UW-Platteville to four national titles
    Has had just one sub-.500 season in his career (1984-85, his first season at UW-Platteville)
    Recipient of the 2004 NABC Guardians of the Game Award for Service

Stats
    Ryan?s Coaching record
    Year University Record Pct. Conference Record Place Postseason
    1984-85 UW-Platteville 9-17 .346 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 4-12 7th
    1985-86 UW-Platteville 16-11 .593 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 8-8 5th NAIA First Round
    1986-87 UW-Platteville 14-11 .560 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 6-10 T5th
    1987-88 UW-Platteville 24-5 .828 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 14-2 1st NAIA Third Round
    1988-89 UW-Platteville 24-5 .828 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 13-3 3rd NAIA Third Round
    1989-90 UW-Platteville 26-3 .897 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 15-1 1st NAIA Third Round
    1990-91 UW-Platteville 28-3 .903 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 13-3 2nd NCAA Champion
    1991-92 UW-Platteville 27-4 .871 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 13-3 2nd NCAA Third place
    1992-93 UW-Platteville 24-4 .857 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 13-3 T1st NCAA Quarterfinals
    1993-94 UW-Platteville 23-5 .821 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 13-3 2nd NCAA Sweet 16
    1994-95 UW-Platteville 31-0 1.000 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 16-0 1st NCAA Champion
    1995-96 UW-Platteville 23-3 .885 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 15-1 1st NCAA First Round
    1996-97 UW-Platteville 24-3 .888 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 14-2 1st NCAA Second Round
    1997-98 UW-Platteville 30-0 1.000 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 16-0 1st NCAA Champion
    1998-99 UW-Platteville 30-2 .938 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic 15-1 1st NCAA Champion
    1999-00 UW-Milwaukee 15-14 .517 Midwestern Collegiate 6-8 T4th
    2000-01 UW-Milwaukee 15-13 .536 Midwestern Collegiate 7-7 5th
    2001-02 Wisconsin 19-13 .594 Big Ten 11-5 T1st NCAA Second Round
    2002-03 Wisconsin 24-8 .750 Big Ten 12-4 1st NCAA Regional Semifinal
    2003-04 Wisconsin 25-7 .781 Big Ten 12-4 T2nd NCAA Second Round
    2004-05 Wisconsin 25-9 .735 Big Ten 11-5 3rd NCAA Elite Eight
    2005-06 Wisconsin 19-12 .613 Big Ten 9-7 T4th NCAA First Round
    22-year collegiate record 495-152 .765
    Record at Wisconsin 112-49 .696 Big Ten 55-25 .688

WINNINGEST ACTIVE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.