main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Top Ten Jedi/Sith Rankings

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by MasterXanatos, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eternal_Padawan

Eternal_Padawan Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2002
    Ok first of all if Palpatine was faking against Mace, why throw force lightning until you look like vomit, that doesnt make sense. Now I will say that Palps was using words to change Anikan toward the Dark side but as far a skill with the saber Mace BEAT him plain and simple.

1-YODA
    1-MACE
    2-SIDIOUS (PALPS)
    4-ANIKAN
    5-OBI WAN
    6-DOOKU

2. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    1)Sidious-Yoda MAY have been able to beat him but i think it was close so Yoda may have chose to garuntee he stayed alive so SOME Jedi's were still around to fight another day. But Sidious.Killed Plagues(Though in his sleep)Convinced Anakin to turn. His skills with his lightsaber were crazy. He only plyed weak for Anakin for awhile. Although at one point he tried to run from Yoda. He still managed to rule a galaxy.
    2)Anakin-I would like to put Obi-Wan here just based on performance in the move but he even admits Anakins skill are better then his.
    3)Yoda-fights off Sidious and Dooku. Ability to fend off force lightning with bare hands is a BIG plus.
    4)Obi-Wan-Defeats a Sith while still a Padawan. Defeats Anakin in his prime. Though it is because of Anakins pride more than anything. Holds off Dooku fro awhile but then goes down..and again in ROTS.
    5)Dooku-Fends off Yoda for awhile but then runs, holds back two jedi at once.
    6)Darth Maul-Pretty much defeats two jedi but pays by not finishing off Obi-Wan when he should have
    7)Qui-Gon-Ability to live eternal life is a pretty big deal.
    8)Mace-Held is own against Sidious and may have defeated him if it were not for Anakin but we never got a chance to see him do much
    9)Luke-May catch slack for having him so low. Never had the chance to learn everthing that the other jedi's were afforded in the Days of the Republic but ran and denied more training when advised to stay and complete it so it was part his fault. And seeing ROTS now makes Luke look worse in my eyes..To think He got beat down pretty bad by Anakin/Vader in ESB in THAT condition? Once he did defeat him it took Anakin/Vader to save him. So I dont know he killed a the Rancor.

3. wassup

wassup Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    super shadow fan

4. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    1.Mace Windu. In atoc anakin said something like i could be as wise as yoda and powerful as windu meaning windu is more powerful than yoda with a lightsaber.
    2. Yoda
    3.Sidious
    4.Anakin/Vader before being burned up. even though he lost to obi wan he beat dooku when kenobi lost twice so hes higher than both of them.
    5.Dooku
    6.OBi Wan,hate puttin him at 6 cause hes my fav.
    7.Darth Maul
    8. qui gon
    9. Luke

5. Ren-Yan_Caarz

Ren-Yan_Caarz Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2004
    You must state your rank as "potential" or "actual" power.

Let's talk about potential power:

1)Anakin (GL himself implied his POTENTIAL power)
    2)Yoda
    3)Sidious
    4)Windu
    5)Leia (yes, LEIA!!! No baby Luke in top-5 lol)
    6)Obi-Wan
    7)Luke
    8)Dooku
    9)Maul
    10)Qui-Gon

6. Antilles58

Antilles58 TFNInteractive Games Programmer star 3 VIP

Jun 5, 2000
    I don't think Sidious was faking losing to Mace. He definitely lost his lightsaber on accident and was probably genuinely freaked out. However, he did fake becoming weakened after he was using the lightning. You can tell that much from how he stops and then starts up again like crazy after mace loses his saber. As a result, Princess Leia is ranked number 1.

7. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    1. Jocasta Nu
    2. Agen Kolar
    3. Seasee Tinn
    4. Kit Fisto
    5. Ki-Adi Mundi
    6. Plo-Koon
    7. Luminara Unduli
    8. Shaak Ti
    9. Eeth Koth
    10.Adi Gallia

Everyone knows these are the REAL top 10!!!

8. rlddrummer

rlddrummer Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2005
    1. Mace Windu
    2. Darth Sidious
    3. Yoda
    4. Obi Wan Kenobi
    5. Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker
    6. Luke Skywalker
    7. Darth Maul
    8. Qui-Gon Jinn
    9. Ki Adi Mundi
    10.Darth Tyrannus

9. laforce911

laforce911 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    obi-wan has gotta be the best, he has achieved the most, he has fought more sith than anyone, he got it for me..

10. mo9630

mo9630 Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2004
    1. Darth Vader/Anakin- had best lightsaber skills throughout movie
    2. mace- had sids beat long before he faked to anakin
    3. emperor- did not quite meet expectations
    4. Obiwan- defeated vader
    5. yoda- best force user
    6. dooku- owned by anakin
    7. maul
    8.luke
    9. suited vader
    10. quigon

11. Jedi_Lite

Jedi_Lite Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    There are so many variables that you basically have to rank them in several different areas:

-Lightsaber skills
    -Force skills
    -Potential
    -Completeness

While some are close to maxing out their abilities (Sidious/Yoda), there are some, who, at this point in the story are more noted for their potential (Anakin/Luke). There are some who are great with the lightsaber (Mace/Anakin/etc.) but are more vulnerable because they lack greater Force abilities (Sith lightning). And then there is the Completeness factor, which has to take into account things like wisdom, which some characters (Anakin/Maul) lacked and where others are supreme (Yoda/Sidious).

So if you can make several categories and rank each Jedi/Sith by category, you might be able to combine those results to find a better understanding of who belongs where in the rankings.

Of course, the OP of this thread is stating that the rankings are based on lightsaber skills, which not everyone in the thread is adhering to.

12. RogueGambit26

RogueGambit26 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2005
    Hi all - have really enjoyed reading this board though I don't often have anything to say. But here's my Jedi/Sith Top Ten. I know it's long - I guess when I think of something to say it just all comes out.

While I tried not to take force ability into account I couldn't do that completely since that is what makes these guys Jedi & Sith. I did try to rank them based on saber skills, general fighting ability, intelligence, and common sense:

Palpatine - Masterminds the entire fall of the Republic, rise of the Sith, and a complete maipulation of the entire Jedi Council, as well as Anakin. Defeats three Jedi Masters within seconds and holds his own against Mace until Anakin shows up (undecided on whether he is faking or not). Defeats Yoda.

Luke - Hard to judge him too harshly since he never had the training that had been afforded to everyone else on this list (A week on Dagobah does not a Jedi make - even with Yoda). That being said, he faced a very powerful Vader (say what you will about half man/half machine but Vader showed no real signs of slowing down by this point in his life) to a draw on Cloud City. Then, after learning the awful truth that Vader is his dad AND that he really is the last hope (I know, I know...Leia...really, what was she gonna do about it at this point?) of the Jedi AND being told that he must, basically, kill his father to become a full fledged Jedi AND oh, by the way, watch out for the Emperor while you're at it - he's REALY, REALLY bad, he still manages to put this all aside and make a true effort to reach his father. Failing that, he still refuses to kill him and is the ultimate tool Anakin needed to redeem his own life and fulfill the prophecy of destroying the Sith and bringing balance to the Force. Luke is the complete package. Stability, Smarts, Skill, and raw Force potential.

Obi-Wan - Not a great record against Dooku (although he can handle Sith lightning brilliantly) but really he does pretty well against everyone else he faces - defeats Maul, a draw against Jango Fett, defeats Grievous, escapes his clones during Order 66, defeats Darth Vader (arguably twice) and he even kills the acklay in the middle of a huge battle. I've ranked him between Luke and Anakin because his strict adherence to the ways of the Jedi was a little too ridged (to a fault - Luke was more flexible) but he controlled his emotions like a champ (unlike Anakin - to say the least).

Anakin/Vader - While he had the most potential of any Jedi or Sith, he was not emmotionally stable (duh) enough to handle his own life much less the tremendous strain placed on him by prophetic dreams, the Jedi Council (they expected him to be a Poster Boy Warrior yet denied him the rank of Master - and rubbed it in his face, if you ask me), and the manipulation by Palpatine. Still, he manages to tap that potential and become a brilliant pilot, swordsman, and Jedi. Handled with care he might have fulfilled that propechy much earlier. Anyway, he holds his own in the droid factory until he loses his lightsaber but then does really well in the execution arena both against the reek, the nexu, the battle droids, etc. While he is defeated by Dooku in AOTC, he completely owns him in ROTS. He surprises the hell out of Mace Windu and kills lots of Jedi (and not just younglings and padawans) in the Temple. He kills all of the Separatist leaders and then fights evenly with Obi-Wan until his anger gets the better of him and he makes a dumb move that costs him a few limbs. Still, he overcomes this and as the rebuilt Vader, he faces off against Obi-Wan again and then his own son twice before he finally decides he has had quite enough of being Jedi or Sith and dumps the Emperor in the reactor shaft - fulfilling the prophecy of destroying the Sith.

Yoda - defeats Dooku but fails to defeat Sidious. Fails to handle Anakin's training properly, fails to address the arrogance of the Jedi of the Old Republic, and he loses points for pretending that he wouldn't train Luke in ESB becasue he was too old (come on) but gains points for finally real

13. Scottr79

Scottr79 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2004
    wassup - Please tell me you're joking, or are you Super Shadow??????????.

1)Mace
    2)Yoda
    3)Sidious
    4)Kenobi
    5)Anakin (May be better are raw ability but you have to be smart as well) (Dumb boxers that are strong don't usually beat smart boxers that are less strong)

14. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    1. Emperor Palpatine aka Darth Sidious

Held his own against Yoda. Killed 3 Jedi Masters within seconds. Held his own against Mace until the end of their fight. I guess the question is, did Mace really beat Palpatine, or was it planned? Since the plot depended upon Anakin making a choice and Palpatine was quite clearly setting him up for the choice before the fight, I'd say he's the deadliest in a fight.

2. Yoda

Very fast and very skilled. Easily handled Dooku. Held his own against Sidious. He'd be number one in my eyes had he not ran from the Sidious duel. But then again he had lost his saber and had fallen 100 feet. So he was probably hurting pretty bad.

3. Luke Skywalker

Though there wasn't much competition for him to face, I'd still like to think he was better than his father. Even though they both have wins over each other. He just wasn't trained fully when they faced the first time so of course he'd lose. The second time, he did pretty damn good.

4. Anakin Skywalker aka Darth Vader

When focused he can be the best. But when he's not, he tends to fall apart. But even on a bad day he still handles himself pretty well.

5. Mace Windu

Held his own against Jango Fett. But I guess that's not saying much. :p Held his own against Sidious. But then again he brought 3 other Jedi with him to kill the Sith Lord and it seems as though Palpatine was trapping him. Trying to get Anakin to make a choice by appearing weak and defeated. So it's hard to say. I believe he's powerful though.

6. Count Dooku aka Darth Tyranus

Powerful and elegant. Very deadly and always focused.

7. Obi-Wan Kenobi

One of the best. His record against Sith Lords is only so-so though. Loses his saber alot.

8. Darth Maul

Certainly a better killing machine than Grievous. Can handle a double bladed saber pretty well. Very fast and intimidating.

9. Qui-Gon Jinn

He can hold his own. But he's simply not as fast as the others.

10. General Grievous

He can twirl his arms and use four at a time. Pretty impressive. Unfortunately for him he has no force powers and thus isn't nearly as good as the other main characters. Still pretty dangerous though.

15. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    IN NO WAY is Obi-wan MORE powerful than Anakin, it's Confirmed Anakin is the MOST powerful Jedi, between them two, but is Anakin more powerful than Yoda?

16. Mindtricks

Mindtricks Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Some would say, like me, that palpatine lost on purpose to Windu to allow Anikan to come to the dark side

17. Master_Welac

Master_Welac Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Okay, my ranking here is the "In their prime" system.. for example, Luke in ROTJ, Sidious in ROTS, Yoda in TPM/AOTC, Anakin in ROTS, Vader in ANH/ESB, Obi-Wan in ROTS, Qui-Gonn in TPM, Maul in TPM, Windu in ROTS, Count Dooku in AOTC, Grievious in ROTS... Also it is by Force Mastery AND Lightsaber Skills.

1. Yoda
    2. Darth Vader
    3. Mace Windu
    4. Darth Sidious
    5. Obi-Wan
    6. Luke
    7. Anakin
    8. Count Dooku
    9. Darth Maul
    10. Qui-Gonn & General Grievious (tie, can't decide)

Sidious has the coolest lightsaber fighting style and great force powers, Yoda is the fastest and most skilled but holds back when others are in danger, Windu is the most bad@$$, is the second best skilled to Yoda in saber and still powerful with the force (he defeated Sidious in Force Mastery combat with lightning), Obi-Wan has the best defensive skills, Luke is the luckiest, Anakin is too moody but still very powerful, his alter ego Darth Vader is pure power - strong with lightsabers but nearly unstoppable in force mastery.. he is plotting to take over from the emperor in 5 & 6, Dooku is clever and has a unique fighting style, Darth Maul is also unique with lightsabers and very acrobatic, but lacks force powers, Qui-Gonn and Grievious are like Yin and Yang - humanity and feeling in a fight vs. precision and cyborg strength... I think it's a tossup.

18. victofett

victofett Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    Someone earlier mentioned that Mace Windu beating Jango Fett isn't saying much. That's not true, considering the fact that Jango fought a very good fight against Obi-Wan on Kamino. I know that Jango uses gadgets and weapons, but he isn't force sensitive. You've got to work with what you've got. Jango is a very good strategist, AND ( i know your ranks are based on the movies but wutever) in the EU Jango kills a powerful, 2 lightsaber wielding corrupt Jedi trained by Dooku. ( Thats why he was selected by Dooku to be the template for the Clone Army.)
    That's pretty damn good for a non-jedi

19. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    The thing about of Obi-wan and Dooku is that Obi-wan is not at his most powerful in that duel. In the book he reaches a new sense of the force when he first meets Greivous.

Plus look at it this way Anakin at the end of ROTS (befor ebeing cut in half)>>>>>>>>>>Anakin at beginning of ROTS

Obi-wan bested him and even put up a better showing then Dooku.

Anyway

Anakin
    Darth Sidious
    Yoda
    Obi-wan (Yoda and Obi-wan are pretty close but Yoda has so much experience in controlling the force)
    Mace
    Dooku

20. victofett

victofett Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    Anakin/Vader
    Sidious
    Yoda
    Windu
    Obi-Wan
    Luke
    Dooku
    Maul/Qui-Gon (pretty even)

I think that it took Obi-Wan a longer period of time to reach his prime, because his master was killed when he was still a padawan, and then he immediately took on a padawan of his own. Teaching a total rookie, while still being a student yourself is pretty tough. Don't get me wrong, Obi is still a really powerful jedi.
    Dooku I think has incredible knowledge of the force, however I feel (and this is only my opinion) that his lightsaber skills were not at their best. ( This might be because of his age.)

21. Master_Welac

Master_Welac Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Going by record:
    wins/losses/ties (against who)
    A. Anakin/Vader
    4(B,D,F,G)-3(B,D,G)-0
    B. Obi-Wan
    3(A,H,I)-3(A,D,D)-0
    C. Yoda
    1(D)-0-1(F)
    D. Dooku
    2(A,B)-2(A,C)-0
    E. Mace
    1(F)-0-0
    F. Palpatine/Sidious
    2(G,K)-2(A,E)-1(C)
    G. Luke
    1(A)-2(A,F)-0
    H. Grievious
    1(K)-1(B)-0
    I. Maul
    1(J)-1(B)-1(J)
    J. Qui-Gonn
    0-1(I)-1(I)
    K. Kit Fisto & Other Jedi
    0-2(F,H)-0

From my judgement on this way I'd say

1. E
    2. C
    3. F
    4. A
    5. D
    6. B
    7. G
    8. I
    9. J
    10. H
    11. K

22. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    I don't know if anybody mentioned this (I didn't stop to read every post), but Grievous isn't a Sith.

He can't be on the original poster's list.

23. padawan-yoda

padawan-yoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    1. yoda
    2. sidious
    3. windu
    4. vader/anakin
    5. obi
    6. luke
    7. dooku
    8. maul
    9. qui gon
    10. greivous

I would have liked to put vader up higher but he lost to dooku, obi and luke
    and I put sidious under yoda because it did look like he lost to mace and I would need to see the film again to see if I can notice any hints that show palpy allowed mace to win

24. MacetheCouncillor

MacetheCouncillor Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    The problem with people comparing Jedi and Sith is that they are oversimplifying. Combat skill is confused with Force powers and raw potential for the Force. The rankings should really be made in each of the three categories separately.

Since the thread starter seemed to be looking for combat skill, I'll base my list on that.

1. Mace Windu - hands down. Beat the Emperor. Enough said.
    2. The Emperor - took down three Jedi masters within seconds and had a slight upper hand against Yoda.
    3. Yoda - clearly the most well-rounded of all lightside Jedi, and falls second to Mace only in the combat category.
    4. Obi-Wan - one of the two light side Jedi survivors of any note. Beat Anakin in a duel, and even though Anakin has a great deal more potential, Obi-Wan has more actual combat skill due to experience and being more cool headed.
    5. Anakin/Vader - the Chosen One. Has best potential of all, but doesn't develop it to the fullest before losing a great deal of it.
    6. Dooku/Tyranus.
    7. Qui-Gon Jinn.
    8. Luke Skywalker - has potential, but is very ill trained compared to the old Jedi.
    9. Most Jedi council members and Kit Fisto.
    10. Other Jedi.

Note that this is based on episode III for those who are active there. The others are based on whatever episodes they show up in.

Of course, this depends on whether you think Windu really beat the Emperor. I think he did, because it doesn't seem to me as if the Emperor would scar himself deliberately. If not and the Emperor was really feigning, however, I guess Windu would be pushed down a couple of steps.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    10 Force users are placed in a large room with no way out until only one is left alive. In order from best to worst for most likely to win:

1. Palpatine
    2. Yoda
    3. Vader
    4. Obi wan
    5. Luke
    6. Mace
    7. Anakin
    8. Dooku
    9. Maul
    10. Qui Gon

Reasons:
    Palpatine beats everyone, close call by Yoda, close call from Mace but he was faking how much trouble he was in when Anakin walked in(GL says so in Making Of Book).
    Despite Vader being labeled a cripple he is powerful, intelligent, and shrewd when needed. TESB version.
    Obi Wan places so high because he beats Maul and Anakin.
    Anakin places low because he is too arrogant to think about what he is doing. Vader is far superior in this respect.
    ROTJ Luke places well because he is quite confident and the son of Vader. You could easily switch mace and Luke placing.

THERE ARE NO ABSOLUTES.

Taking a look at my list I think anyone within 2 or 3 places of someone above them has a good chance of beating them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.