Top Ten Jedi/Sith Rankings

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by MasterXanatos, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calloway_of_light Jedi Knight

star 3
    No. Yoda couldn't beat Palpatine no matter the circumstance. It wasn't his destiny to do so. It was Anakin's destiny and only he could accomplish the task.
  2. darthjim1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    but yoda did't loose still, he fell.
  3. Malikail Jedi Master

star 4

yoda destroyed dooku. the only reason dooku lived is because yoda didn't want obi-wan and anakin to die.

yoda also showed more ability than sidious in my opinion when he took the lightning and shot it back at him.

I have to ask, Kittles93, what movies did you watch?

it sure wasn't ep2 and 3, at least not the versions i saw.

must be those yoda colored glasses.....
  4. Darth_Froschler Jedi Master

star 2
    here is what i meant by a "lot of critical thinking" from a previous post i made in a topic i made about if palpy faked it or not. Its kinda long, but it makes sense if you read it all. (which i suggest you do.)
    here is what i said:

I'm starting to think that yeah, he was going hard in the saber fight. But when Anakin ran in, he was faking it then. I can agree that he knew Anakin was curupt and he would come for palpatine's aid.

And another thing that i have read: we all know that anakin is much more powerful then obi-wan right (exept for all the obi fanboys out there)? Obi-wan was smarter and got the higher ground for the key advantage. Anakin was over confident yet again (suprising huh?), and attacked and Kenobi cut him to shreads. Same thing with Yoda/palpy fight. When Sidious was on the higher level in the senate chamber throwing pods at him, Yoda was getting his ass handed to him (because i think Yoda was actually beating sidious in the saber fight). Anakin was a dumb A$$ by attacking obi when he shouldn't. Yoda knew better. When he fell down all the way to the floor of the chamber, he knew he couldn't beat him from where he was at that point. Plus an army of clones were coming right for him. He did the smart thing and left.

The only reason Palpy won is because he used his surrounding's to his advantage. Also because Yoda was on a mission to destroy the sith, and he failed. He knew that only the chosen one could defeat the last of the sith.

So perhaps sidious isn't really that strong at all. Mace beat him, Yoda could have beat him, and we know that anakin is just as strong or stronger then yoda so he could possibly beat him as well.

But that is what makes Palpy so hard to beat i think. He always knows the right time to strike, sly, cunning, tricky, and very elusive. Now that i think of it, Palpy isn't the most powerful. He is a sith master.Master fo seduction and secrecy. He is very patient on knowing what to do when kinda thing. This whole war as a distraction to instead wipe out the jedi without the jedi even seeing it until the end (Mace:I sense a plot to destroy the jedi.), is in fact...absolutly brilliant.

Bottom line is, If Anakin wasn't there to back up Sids, i think mace would've killed him. Same with Yoda. If there were no high levels of ground to cover, Yoda would have probably beat him. And if anakin would have not sustained the injuries he has now, he would have killed the emperor and took his empire for himself.

But the emperor had forseen all these events to happen. That is why his plan worked so well. He knew that anyone that was going to challenge him, never really had much of a shot.

I hope you guys read all this. I really didn't think this would end up to be this long! I think this is really important stuff to know.
  5. Calloway_of_light Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yoda lost because he didn't accomplish what he set out to do and was forced to flee for his safety. The galaxy was still in the hands of Palpatine and there was nothing Yoda could do at that point to change it.
  6. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I don't think it was so much that Palps got lucky and didn't fall like Yoda. I think Yoda just got hurt more from the explosion of reflected lightning and couldn't get a good hold, or use the Force to break his fall. Palps could take it just a bit better.

EDIT: This is alos why I said there are no absolutes. Placing Palps above Yoda on a list doesn't mean Palps could beat him every time. They are in each other's league. But this one time when it counted, Yoda failed.
  7. Calloway_of_light Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yoda lost because he was destined to lose, not because he was weaker than Palpatine. Yoda was on par with Palpatine but this wasn't enough to accomplish the task. He couldn't overcome Palpatine *and* destiny.
  8. darthjim1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    thats not what happened yoda got the rough end of the deal with hes grip.
  9. Malikail Jedi Master

star 4

Yoda lost because he didn't accomplish what he set out to do and was forced to flee for his safety. The galaxy was still in the hands of Palpatine and there was nothing Yoda could do at that point to change it.

point in fact, as far as yoda accomplishing his goals goes, he's a big old 0-2 in the PT.

his goal was to stop dooku from escaping in AotC, since he only managed a draw against dooku and let him escape he failed. not a loss, but a definate failure.

you accurately covered his fight in ep3, i agree.

yoda is the wisest, and oldest force user alive, probably knows more than most of the rest of the jedi masters put together.

this does not however make him great in a fight, and that seems to be the basis for most of the rest of the rankings here.

it seems to me alot of people are putting yoda at the top for his knowlage and wisdom, and then ranking everyone else on combat skills, a bit inconsistant i think.
  10. Darth_Froschler Jedi Master

star 2
    Yoda fell all the way down to the senate floor, and palpatine fell only off the ledge, and climbed back on. Palpy had the advantage because he had the higher ground, and yoda was smart unlike anakin, and left with clones following close behind. That is the ONLY reason why palpy won because of the place they were fighting in. Same goes for obi and anakin.
  11. Calloway_of_light Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yoda could never have beaten Palpatine just as Palpatine could never have beaten Anakin. Destiny is absolute.
  12. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Destiny doesn't hold water. If destitny controlls everything then there is no point in trying anything.
  13. Calloway_of_light Jedi Knight

star 3
    In life I agree. In many stories though destiny is rather inescapable. In the novelization Yoda seems to realize this.
  14. Darth_Froschler Jedi Master

star 2
    VadersLaMent:

that was anakin's point of view of destiny. He was too over confident in his destiny.For that, he completed his destiny the hard way by being in the suit forever. You always fulfill your destiny no matter what. But if you trust in it too much, like anakin being so over confident, your destiny will come with consequences.
  15. thx1067 Force Ghost

star 1
    Sith:
    I concur with the list above with a few exceptions:

1. Darth_Sidious
    - besides being strongest with the Dark Side, he is a true politician, the devil in disguise; Deceiver, and MOST importantly the best at adapting and turning his losses into victories when things don't go his way (the loss of Maul in TPM; ROTS: he lost to Mace straight up but was able to turn this situation to his advantage when Anakin showed up).

2. Darth_Tyrannus
    Learning the deceiver role with the ultimate saber skills. Deadly combo.

3. Darth_Vader
    People here are forgetting his ability to deflect laser bolts from a blaster. The killing (strangulation) of people while carrying on a conversation without getting his blood pressure up, and finally his ability to do all of this without any of his own hands or feet!

4. Darth_Vader (Anakin)
    Filled with blinded ambition and self-delusion; misguided and filled with arrogance. He was nothing more than another Darth Maul (see below)

4. Darth_Maul
    Little more than a pit-bull. Thoughtless killing machine.

Jedi:

1. Yoda
    Anyone who walks with a crippled limp and a cane but can still do what he does deserves top honors!

2. Obiwan Kenobi
    Ultimate survivor. How many other Jedis actually survived THREE different SITHS and destroyed Jedi killer Grievous? Icing on the cake is his ability to spend years in isolation learning how to disappear and make guest appearances in OT.

3. Mace Windu
    Arrogant but he could back it up.

3. Luke Skywalker
    -with absolutely NO training (because a couple of days with Yoda does not really count considering the competition here!) he could still kick ass! His impatience gave way to widsom. He learned powers that noone taught him (communicating with Leia) and survived situations against all odds others would have died - similar to OWK survival skills.

4. Anakin Skywalker (just because he ultimately defeated Dooku)

5. Qui-Gon Jinn
    Arrogant; unethical and couldn't back it up when it counted! The only reason he's on this list is because of his ability to speak beyond the grave.

16. Darth_Bord Jedi Padawan

Here's my scoring system...
    0=Poor, 5=Excellent
    1st Score = Sabre Skills
    2nd Score = Force Skills (during fight)
    1st + 2nd = Total Score

1. Yoda (5 + 5) = 10
    2. Count Dooku (AOTC, ROTS) (4 + 4) = 8 (wins tie-breaker cuz he beat Anakin and Obi-Wan (2x))
    3. Darth Maul (5 + 3) = 8
    4. Obi-Wan (TPM-ROTS) (4 + 3) = 7 (wins tie-breaker cuz he beat Anakin)
    5. Anakin (4 + 3) = 7
    6. Palpatine (1 + 5) = 6 (wins tie-breaker cuz he tied Yoda.)
    7. Darth Vader (ANH - ROTJ) (3 + 3) = 6
    8. Mace Windu (3 + 2) = 5 (wins tie-breaker cuz he nearly beat Palpatine)
    9. General Grievous (5 + 0) = 5
    10. Luke (4 + 0) = 4 (wins tie-breaker cuz he beat Vader)
    11. Qui-Gon (4 + 0) = 4
    12. Obi-Wan (ANH) (1 + 0) = 1

Also, I'd like to rank the best light-sabre duels:

1. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul (TPM)
    2. Yoda vs. Palpatine (ROTS)
    3. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader (ROTS)
    4. Luke vs. Darth Vader (ESB)
    5. Qui-Gon & Obi Wan vs. Darth Maul (TPM)
    6. Yoda vs. Count Dooku (AOTC)
    7. Anakin vs. Count Dooku (ROTS)
    8. Anakin & Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku (ROTS)
    9. Luke vs. Darth Vader (ROTJ)
    10. Obi-Wan vs. General Grievous
    11. Anakin vs. Count Dooku (AOTC)
    12. Palpatine vs. Mace Windu (ROTS)
    13. Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku (AOTC)
    14. Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul (TPM - Naboo)
    15. Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul (TPM - Tatooine)
    16. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader (ANH)
  17. victofett Jedi Padawan

I posted a list earlier, but i decided to change. It's really tough because so many factors come into play, and characters change so quickly and dramatically.

1. Yoda (he always knows exactly wut to do. He's got the experience.)

2.Palpatine/Sidious (Trainer of Maul, Tyranus, and Vader, all excellent fighters, all very force powerful, even if they all had their certain flaws. Palps is a force to be reckoned with.)

3.-[this is a tough one]- Mace Windu(athletic, very wise, and a very good soldier)

4.Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker (he had rough and tumble, mixed training. He lacked training in both Jedi and Sith arts. His purpose in the movie was to fulfill the prophecy. The chosen one doesn't have to be an amazing fighter,his role is simply to bring balance.)

5.Obi Wan (had difficulty reaching his prime with his masters sudden death, and him having to become a teacher right afterwards. Teaching and learning at the same time is difficult and time consuming. [This might be one of the reasons why Anakin grew so impatient.] Hmm... maybe. However Obi-wan did prove himself and became great.

6. Dooku- (very focused, force powerful Sith. A finesse fighter. However in my mind his saber skills weren't at full potential. They were great, but i think he could have been MUCH better. Age might have played a role in that.

7. Qui-gon- (so intelligent and theoretical. A great mind, and pretty decent saber fighter. once again, Age probably had something to do with that.

8.Luke Skywalker- Very powerful, even with his limited training. Im sure that Luke later becomes the most powerful jedi EVER. In the movies though, he wasn' there yet."impressive, most impressive...but you aren't a jedi yet..."

9.Darth Maul- Good. Amazing acrobatic saber fighter, but still immature. If Obi hadn't sliced him up, man... He would be truly amazing. He let his animal instincts take over him.

***I think that from seven up, these guys are fairly close together. This is a very tough list to make*** I'm still not completely decided.

18. Calloway_of_light Jedi Knight

star 3
    I really don't know how anyone can rate Obi-wan over Dooku. All Dooku did was kick his ass repeatedly.
  19. atbridge Jedi Padawan

1. Mace (Guys the emperor knew he would die if anakin didnt show up watch it again its simple risk management take great risks for great rewards. Sidis had no chance against mace on his own, none!) Mace did not struggle at all, not even a little bit with the sith. He is by far the best with the force from what Ive read, and go back rewatch episode II when they were talking about who anakin could be as good as with the force and saber Mace and yoda are mentioned yoda with the saber etc. Nobody is even in his league including yoda. He handled everybody he fought with ease including the emperor and look at how scared dooku was of mace. It wouldnt have even been a fight.

2. Yoda 4 words (Dont f*** with yoda) He handled Dooku as if it were childs play and even the master got thrown against the wall and it looked like yoda was handling his business untill he took that nasty fall. Put Sidis in the ring with yoda and if you had to bet your life youd realize you would go with yoda hands down. He is flat out one bad mama jama.

3. Sidis. Sidis could handle anakin. I dont know how you could put anakin in the same league as Yoda, Mace or Sidis. Sidis is the only bad guy who would even think about fighting one on one against either yoda or mace. Dooku ran guys, he distracted yoda and ran.

4. Luke Skywalker Luke was pretty good against Vader even before his training was complete. He toyed with vader without breaking much of a sweat in thier 2nd meeting. I think he could have taken the emperor on too if he had more than a few weeks of training. People forget that luke had the least amount of training of any of the jedi or sith. Luke and Anakin returned the balance of the force together.

5. Anakin He killed Dooku fairly easily although dooku seemed to be distracted by the emperor and possibly the emperor intervened it seemed that dooku threw the fight for hem and was suprised when he had his head chopped off so its questionable.

6. Dooku His business is killing and business was good. Until he got his head scissored off by anakin in a suspisous loss.

7. Qui-Gon Jinn He was better than darth mall. He lived life on the edge between the force and the physical. He knew it was his time and he left.

8. Obi Wan Probably the most important catalyst character in the entire star wars series. He appears in all 6 thanks to Qui-Gon Jinn's newly learned skill of coming back. He killed darth mall and ripped into a very talented but developing anakin leaving the boy whipped and whipped bad.

9. Darth Mall. He was a weak apprentice. Possibly very talented but he didnt use his skills very well from lack of inteligence. Talent without intelegence is virtually useless. He lucked out against Qui-Gon Jinn.

10. The general was trained by the Dooku so that makes him part of the sith order even if not officially. Before there was a sith order with one master for every apprentice but according to the books there were multiple masters and apprentices a 1000 years prior. You have to count the general.

20. atbridge Jedi Padawan

I just looked it up agian. Mace is suppose to be the strongest with the force although lucas didnt take advantage of that in the movie. But, thats why the emperor couldnt just force smack his butt out of the window. And yes my friends yoda is the best with the saber. If you have doubts about that listen to the dialogue from episode II. Read the books as well.
  21. VisitorQ Jedi Padawan

Darth_Froschler Said:

not to be mean or anything, but your list is HILARIOUS! That is the most unaccurate (spelling perhaps?) list i think i have ever seen. Dont take this the wrong way though.

The thing that stands out the most to me is, how could obi-wan be an equal to Dooku, when obi-wan got completly OWNED by him? How can Anakin be at the same level as dooku when Anakin took him out one on one in less then a minute? Indeed, that is another OWNAGE.

And, yet, Anakin beat Dooku very quickly afterwards, and Obi-Wan matched him pound for pound in their last duel.

Please don't be one of those people who inaccurately claims Anakin had the advantage over Obi until Kenobi used tactics and gained the higher ground.

Anakin couldn't even overpower Obi in a straight force strength struggle (something I at least expected Anakin to show superiority in), let alone being matched pretty much move for move by him in the actual saber battle. The whole battle was one of the most dead even duels in the entire 6 episodes, and was deliberately choreographed that way.

Dooku took both Anakin and Obi out at the same time in Ep 3, but then focused on Obi while Anakin had time to recover. Anakin could've easily been the one to have rubble collapsed on him instead, and Obi could've stepped up to the plate in his stead.

Given all that, I think Dooku, Anakin, and Obi were in roughly the same tier, when all's said and done. Now that I think about it, I might rank Dooku above both of them despite losing to Anakin, but I stand by the other rankings on my list.

Anakin could've been higher on the list, if Obi hadn't mutilated and left him to burn in such a way. As it is, Anakin never climbed the ladder as far as he could have.

22. Darthhelmut Jedi Master

star 2
    Yoda lost because he lost the high ground.....thats it.

1.Mace
    2.Ani
    3.Yoda
    4.Sids
    5.Ob1
    6.Luke
    7.Maul
    8.Doodo
    Is there anyone else that really matters....
  23. Malikail Jedi Master

star 4
    He(Yoda) handled Dooku as if it were childs play

when did this happen?

it must be a book or maybe the clone wars cartoons, it sure as heck wasn't the fight in AotC.

let me say it one more time in caps for the realy realy slow among us:

YODA VS. DOOKU IN EP2 WAS A DRAW, NEITHER LANDED A BLOW ON THE OTHER IN ANY FORM.
  24. MacetheCouncillor Force Ghost

star 3
    Here's my scoring system...
    0=Poor, 5=Excellent
    1st Score = Sabre Skills
    2nd Score = Force Skills (during fight)
    1st + 2nd = Total Score

1. Yoda (5 + 5) = 10
    2. Count Dooku (AOTC, ROTS) (4 + 4) = 8 (wins tie-breaker cuz he beat Anakin and Obi-Wan (2x))
    3. Darth Maul (5 + 3) = 8
    4. Obi-Wan (TPM-ROTS) (4 + 3) = 7 (wins tie-breaker cuz he beat Anakin)
    5. Anakin (4 + 3) = 7
    6. Palpatine (1 + 5) = 6 (wins tie-breaker cuz he tied Yoda.)
    7. Darth Vader (ANH - ROTJ) (3 + 3) = 6
    8. Mace Windu (3 + 2) = 5 (wins tie-breaker cuz he nearly beat Palpatine)
    9. General Grievous (5 + 0) = 5
    10. Luke (4 + 0) = 4 (wins tie-breaker cuz he beat Vader)
    11. Qui-Gon (4 + 0) = 4
    12. Obi-Wan (ANH) (1 + 0) = 1

This is ridiculous. I mean no offense, but it is. Particularly Palpatine and Mace Windu. Palpatine should have 4 + 5 because he beat three Jedi Masters down with his lightsaber really fast, and Mace should probably have 5 + 4 or at least 5 + 3. Anything else is a joke.
  25. DiditAllForTheWookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    People are so clueless...

You cannot compare the lightsaber ability of OT characters to PT characters. The stuntwork, choreography and special effects of the PT lightsaber battles are decades ahead of the OT. Hell, many of the jedi in the PT were as old, or older than Obi-Wan was supposed to be in ANH. Yet, Obi-wan and Vader had a very uninspiring duel. There is no indication ANYWHERE that that was intentional. The truth of the matter is that Lucas once believed that Lightsabers would be so heavy that they would need to be wielded with two hands at all times. This is something that was not even considered in the PT. While obviously Vader would be less agile and mobile than anakin, he was also more methodical and possesed more brute strength as vader. The fact that anyone could put Maul or Dooku above Vader is just silly. They had some impresive cgi and martial arts stunts (in Maul's case), but neither could touch the Vader of ESB. Vader still had an exponential advantage in force power. Maul would probably be force choked to death being a fairly one dimensional sith. The difference is in the MOVIEMAKING, not in their abilities.

Luke was probably ill-equipped to handle a sith like Maul or Dooku. He really couldn't handle Vader in ESB. Remember, Vader was trying to take him alive. He toyed with him. Luke beat Vader in RoTJ on the sole strength of a dark side rage. Vader handicapped himself with a torn emotional state. That said, Luke's accomplishments while considering his "feeble skills" put him ahead of most of the people on that list.

1. Sidious - On account of his meticulous planning and manipulation while hiding his true identity right under the nose of the Jedi Council. Powerful in combat, but might have lucked out a little bit against Yoda.

2. Yoda - Yoda is the total package. His defeat at the hands of Sidious was an "upset" to be sure. Hard to place him at #2.

3. Mace Windu - I am not even sure he belongs here. People continue to claim that he "defeated Sidious," but they underestimate Sidious' ability to see the future. Given the way things played out, Sidious obviously allowed Mace to get the advantage so that Anakin's fall to the Darkside would be complete. Still, he did show a lot of power in that battle.

4. Luke Skywalker - On the strength of his accomplishments with almost no formal training, Luke belongs here. Potential does matter, but what matters more is results. Yes, he did catch some lucky breaks, but he basically saved the universe managing to survive some pretty brutal beatdowns.

5. Anakin/Vader - I will clump them together. The Chosen One. Vader could have force choked half of the people in some of these people's lists to death and there would have been no defense against it. He could have force choked Luke to death if he were not conflicted about killing him. Anakin was a tremendous natural talent, much like Luke. Unfortunately, he lacked even a modicum of common sense. Anakin doesn't even belong in the top 10, if not for his power in the force and his turn to the darkside.

6. Count Dooku - While powerful, Dooku truly showed his colors in the fights against Yoda and Anakin(ROTS). Still, he would have easily bested Obi-Wan in single combat.

7. Obi-Wan Kenobi - Obi-Wan was not a standout jedi on the merits of his skill with a lightsaber, or his knowledge of the force. He was really just great at exercising common sense in battles. Did he outfight Anakin? Not really. He just used common sense. Did he outfight Maul? Not really. He just took advantage of Maul's stupidity.

That is as far as I will go. I don't think you can include Maul or Qui-Gon ahead of a dozen or so minor characters from the PT. Maul knew karate, but when push came to shove, he was a moron. How powerful can he be in the force if he can't recognize someone reaching for a lightsaber from across the room as they look at it and gesture for it? What a dummy. Qui-Gon sucked. So, he became a force ghost, big whoop. If he were halfway decent in a fight he wouldn't even be a force ghost.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.