main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Top Ten lies told in the OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthGentilian, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Dont forget about "How is that possible?"

2. hanshotfirst87

hanshotfirst87 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2011
    "Lightspeed ain't like dusting crops" it might be so I will count this as a lie. lol

3. spiceminesofkessel

spiceminesofkessel Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2011
    In RotJ, Luke had C-3PO lie to the Ewoks by telling them that he (C-3PO) will become angry and use his powers.

4. MiricaEclipse

MiricaEclipse Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2011
    "It is too late for me" -Vader ROtJ

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's not technically a lie if the person saying it believes it to be true... and Vader seemed to think it really was too late for him at the time he said this. Same scenario as some of the earlier examples; there's a difference between a lie and being wrong about something.

6. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    "That malfunctioning little twerp. It's all his fault. He tricked me into going this way". -C-3PO

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    All this excitement has overrun the circuitry in my counterpart here. If you don't mind, I'd like to take him down to maintenance.

Also, Ben's lies in his house on Tatooine bug me as originally they tell a different story that I would liked to have seen rather than what feels like a retcon.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    That's not a lie, that's paranoia ;)

Lady_Misty likes this.
  9. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Not understanding the lie here. That's Lando asking a question and Vader answering.

Canon.
    It's a common smugglers spice run to evade Imperial ships .... Kessel Run

First sentence. Lie.
    Member of the Imperial senate. True.
    Why she is on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan though, your guess is as good as mine....so lie, really. She could have just said she was returning home. Then again, Alderaan is far away from Tatooine.

Tarkin just asked her where the rebel base was. And there was a rebel base on Dantooine. Though it had been abandoned for sometime. Not really too much of a lie.

Semantics. Told the truth from a 'certain point of view.'

10. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    ROFLMAO [face_laugh]

Hmmm....not so much a 'lie' there. It could be said more accurately that he was dissembling * with that line of dialogue from ROTJ.

*or engaging in 'Kabuki-dance' (take your pick)

Yes, if one considers answering a question that Luke did NOT ask in the first film* to be an example of being 'truthful'.

Luke asked "HOW did my father die?"...he did not ask WHAT "metaphorically" happened to my father? or what happened "according to Ben's P.O.V.".

11. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    The Biggest Luke Skywalker Lie:

"You serve your master well, and you will be rewarded .."

Skywalker knew he had no reward for that guy, what a deceitful thing to say ..

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Killing Jabba meant freeing Bib from his life of slavery. Sounds like a reward to me ;)

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    True. Technically speaking, Bib is probably the Last Man Standing from the OT after getting converted into a brain in a walking jar. :p

14. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Except Palpatine was never lying. He may have deceived everyone into believing that he's a good guy but every word that came out of his mouth was all true such as:

-the whole "Jedi plotting to take over the Republic" part since we see Mace Windu make that very suggestion to Yoda and the other Jedi.
    - telling Anakin that the Jedi don't trust him and we see Mace admit that to Obi-wan and Yoda. Yoda might feel the same way judging on how he's giving up on the prophecy and while Obi-wan still has faith in him, that changed when he saw hologram footage of Anakin killing jedi.
    -He says that there is power that can help one cheat death and we see Yoda inform Obi-wan that he has learned a technique from the ghost of Qui-Gon Jinn on how to achieve immortality from the neatherworld of the force.

Yoda says that the Sith are into lies, deceit, and creating mistrust but everything we heard from the Sith is all true. The Jedi, on the other hand, are the ones who do the lying, deceiving, and mistrusting especially when came to the whole "Vader killing Luke's father" nonsense.

15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    According to Jorge, the biggest lie is that Han ever shot first

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    -the whole "Jedi plotting to take over the Republic" part since we see Mace Windu make that very suggestion to Yoda and the other Jedi.

Uh, and as they say it would be temporaty until a new Chancellor is elected. Many a military general has taken a country only to turn it over to an elected official after a dictator is removed.

telling Anakin that the Jedi don't trust him and we see Mace admit that to Obi-wan and Yoda. Yoda might feel the same way judging on how he's giving up on the prophecy and while Obi-wan still has faith in him, that changed when he saw hologram footage of Anakin killing jedi.

There is no lie here. They don't trust him. They never lie about it.

He says that there is power that can help one cheat death

There is but Palps does not actually know how to do it like his own master.

Yoda inform Obi-wan that he has learned a technique from the ghost of Qui-Gon Jinn on how to achieve immortality from the neatherworld of the force.

Um, yeah, again no trickery or lie here.

17. thebox997

thebox997 Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2013
    brilliant

18. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    Nope. Ben told the truth. Vader literally DID kill Luke's dad.
    Well, until ESB came along and we entered an alternate reality [face_laugh]

19. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When Luke asks Yoda if the Dark Side is stronger Yoda answers "no".

According to George that was a lie. The Dark Side is stronger because those that use it rely on Hate, Anger and Fear to use their Powers; strong, powerful emotions. One of the reasons behind the Death Star was to spread fear and terror throughout the Galaxy. The Destruction of Alderaan sent at LEAST five million sentient beings into the Netherworld and sent shock-waves through the Force.

It is also my limited understanding that Love will make a Light Sider stronger then a Dark Sider.

The ironic part is that both the Jedi and the Sith saw love as an inhibitor. The Sith saw it as a weakness and something to be exploited. The Jedi viewed it as a sign that you were attached and that could lead to the Dark SIde.

20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    "I'd just as soon kiss a Wookie."

markdeez33 and Lady_Misty like this.
  21. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    ''General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars....'' Did he???? Must have missed all those scenes.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Just because it doesn't happen onscreen doesn't mean it never happened- there's a three year gap between AoTC and RoTS- plenty of time for something to have happened.

23. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    How is that a lie? Vader is telling Lando that Leia must not leave this city, IIRC, he didn't necessarily agree with it,. what you have written there is not a lie,

debateable, because technically Vader did do all that.

most of the lies told are really half-truths.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Nope, *we* can't all agree because I'm not a part of your "we."

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    When has GL ever said that the dark side is stronger? We see dark siders being defeated again and again by light siders in SW.

Andy Wylde likes this.