main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Top Ten lies told in the OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthGentilian, Jul 25, 2011.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Obi-Wan served the Senate, Bail Organa was a member of the Senate.

Andy Wylde and markdeez33 like this.
  2. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    "Just one more season and you can go to the academy next year"

Oh Uncle Owen your nose will grow lol

Paparazzo likes this.
  3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

He said in an interview that was quoted in an issue of the Star Wars Insider.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

4. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    You haven't provided the quote or the issue. All I have to go on is what is presented in actual SW content. And the dark side really isn't shown to be stronger. The higher powers of the Sith seem to come from a.) the culling of their ranks for only the strongest to survive and b.) the dark side is easier to master for combat purposes. However the use of the dark side itself is not seen to be more powerful that the use of the light side. e.i.) Yoda was able to deflect the most powerful dark side power in the movies, from both Sidious and Dooku.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    "Yoda, you seek Yoda! Take you to him I will. But first we must eat. Good food. Come!"

As we could plainly see, the food wasn't good.

6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    This is an interesting point, and has been brought up elsewhere. That is that in the films and TCW, the Sith never actually lie, especially not to the Jedi. What they say is always some version of the truth, as told from what Obi-Wan would describe as "a certain point of view".

Remember, the troopers that Obi-Wan was used to were the Clone Wars-era GAR. They were very precise. So what he said wasn't a lie, exactly, just outdated information. It would be as if someone who had been hiding in a cave since the Napoleonic Wars said: "France has the greatest army in the world!" Well, not now - but it was true the last time he checked.

You can't go by that. Lucas has never been ideologically or philosophically consistent in regards to his statements about his work.

7. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

You want me to go through about ten years worth of SWIs? Okay, I will start sometime soon.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Unless you can reference where your information is coming from anyone can make any claim that any quote occured. "GL has said before that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were gay."

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    They could've explained that to Anakin instead of leaving him in the dark (no pun intended). That's why they easily lost him to PalpSidious and why he helped him murder all the Jedi.

Another reason of why, as Yoda would put it, "they failed" Anakin.

10. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Well, the best one is the Kessel Run, because parsecs are a distance. In the EU they made it involve black holes so that isn’t exactly a lie it’s truefax.

“Was I any different when you taught me?” –Obi-wan forgets about Qui-gon Jinn

markdeez33 likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    GL says that the Dark Side is stronger in the AOTC DVD/Blu-Ray commentary

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Not really shown in the films.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Charlie512

Charlie512 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 17, 2011
    That right there is wrong. Palpatine lied plenty of times.

From "I love Democracy" to "I have to power to save the one you love".

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    "I love Democracy" isn't necessarily a lie -- he certainly could love the system that allowed him to rise to power. He just loves a dictatorship (with himself at the top of course) more.

Additionally, the line of "I have the power to save the one you love" is never proven to be false -- had Palpatine been present while Padmé was giving birth, he may have been able to save her. We'll never know for sure. And even if he didn't, if Palpatine believed himself to have that power, then it wouldn't be a lie either.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. Charlie512

Dec 17, 2011
    Palpatine admitted himself that he didn't have the power. He said "if we work together, we can discover the secret..."

Saying "I have the power to save the one you love" and "If we work together, we can discover the secret" are contradictory statements. He lied.
    Morever, he doesn't believe he has the power because he says "the power to achieve death, is a power only one has achieved" (he's referencing Plaugueis) as earlier he said that Plagueis had discovered a way to cheat death.

He's not dilusional he's not going to believe something he knows (and stated) he doesn't know how to do.

He lied.

16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I always thought that Palpatine was referring to the power of the Dark Side to save Padmé -- a power that he regularly employed, rather than the technique itself. The thing about Palpatine's "lies" is that his statements are always false "in spirit," if you will, but if you look at the exact wording, I don't think he's necessarily lying. He tells the truth like a lawyer, in other words.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the EU this is because Jedi seem to have some degree of Truthsayer ability. It's not really supported in the films alone, but may be implied by ROTS deleted scene dialogue.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Charlie512

Dec 17, 2011
    Based on your criterial pretty much any force user can say they have an ability by the extension of using the force.

Luke after RotJ could say "Hey, I can block force lightning" because he's a Jedi and he uses the force and as we know the force has the power to stop force lightning.

Under your criteria Luke wouldn't be lying yet it's obvious that his is blatantly false.

Your criterial is pretty poor to judge lies. I still hold that Palpatine is a lying bastard.

Another lie is when he says "When the Jedi learn what has transpired here, they will kill us, along with all of the Senators". I can buy the first part. It's reasonable to believe that the Jedi will attempt to kill the Sith as they later did try. However, there is absolutely no reason to believe that they would kill all of the Senators. Palpatine knows full well that the Jedi wouldn't do that; he is lying to Anakin's face.

If we take Palpatine's exact words he is lying. It's only by your weird "in spirit" criteria that it can be seen as not a lie. But as I argued I think it's a very poor criteria.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine is selling himself as Anakin's potential dark side mentor. But his story remains consistent in the sense that he says all along it is Anakin who will attain the power, rather than simply Palpatine acting on Anakin's behalf. In this scenario it is accurate to say that Palpatine believes he has the power to ensure Padme's survival, if he has the capacity to train Anakin in the dark side and to work together with Anakin in pursuit of that goal.

20. Charlie512

Dec 17, 2011
    I can accept that. His overall argument is consistent however that doesn't mean he didn't use lies to give it.

Another lie I though of is when he's faking weakness against Mace.

"I'm too weak..." Palpatine was clearly faking and he in fact was not weak at all.

21. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Liberty and democracy are not even close to the same thing. Again, ask an American Indian, a black person over 60, or a Japanese-American over 70. Padme had it wrong when she said that democracy died to thunderous applause. No,it was liberty that died to thunderous applause, and democracy that went along with the whole thing (eventually taking itself down with it). The fact that it was the thunderous applause of the elected representatives of a democracy shows that.

This is the question at the heart of the greatest science fiction show ever, Legend of Galactic Heroes. Essentially: Which would you rather live under - a corrupt, incompetent, dysfunctional, militaristic, semi-oppressive democracy, or a genuinely good and decent king?

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    "Soon you will come to appreciate me..."

23. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000

When PalpSidious says "along with all the senators", he's most likely talking about himself. Hence, the "I am the Senate" nonsense he threw at Mace so basically, PalpSidious told a half-truth. As for his claim that he can help Anakin save Padme, he's confusing the Jedi's ability to return as shadowy blue ghosts for some invincibility type of power which is another half-truth.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It has nothing to do with Force ghosting. Anakin wants Padme in the flesh, not as a ghost.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    The bad guys never seem to be able to shoot well in movies, but the stormtroopers take it to another level.