main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Top Ten Personal Favorite films

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Axia_Euxine, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axia_Euxine

Axia_Euxine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2003
    Time for a new pointless thread. List your all time top ten favorite movies, I know this may be difficult to do and you may revise as often as you go "Oh I completely forgot about blank". Im sure mine will be changed six or seven times. Now these movies dont even have to be good but just your favorites.

My personal favorites are...(yes you already know most of them)

1. The Empire Strike Back (The uncontested champion for 23 years and holding strong!)
    2. Attack of the Clones
    3. Star Wars
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. Return of The Jedi
    6. Titanic
    7. The Matrix (Not sure about this one, its been tainted thanks to the sequels)
    8. Terminator 2
    9. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    10. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

I know Im forgeting something...

2. JADED_JEDI

JADED_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    ...just 10...hmmm...

1. Star wars (pick one)
    2. Space Balls
    3. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    4. Meet the Parents
    5. Kelly's Heros
    6. Emma
    7. The Matrix (the first one only)
    8. X-men 2
    9. The Spanish Prisoner
    10.Mall Rats
    and
    11.The Pricess Bride
    and
    12.Equilibrium

...in no particular order...

3. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Not in order:

1. Star Wars
    2. Empire
    3. Jedi
    4. Phantom Menace
    5. Clones
    6. Matrix- the first one only
    7. Superman
    8. Raiders
    9. First Blood
    10. Last Crusade

Not fair, man. You need to make this list the top 20 movies! It's too hard to pick!

4. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    1 Return of the King
    2 Two Towers
    3 Fellowship of the Ring
    4 Attack of the Clones
    5 Empire Strikes Back
    6 A New Hope
    7 Phantom Menace
    8 Return of the Jedi
    9 X-Men 2
    10 Good Will Hunting

This could easily be a top 50 thing

5. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    You put that silly ring movie over Star Wars! Blasphemy!

:: Ignites lightsaber and begins to drop entire legions of Elves, clerics, warriors, dwarfs, hobbits, orcs, dragons, wingraiths, some nasty little guy that talks to himself alot, bigger orcs, walking trees... walking tress? shrugs, chops it down with his lightsaber and comes across some guy named Sauromon <sp?>

Hey, you look like that one guy! I raise saber, he raises some staff thing. Next. Big dark looking, heavy black armor guy with a ring. Chops off hand with ring, he explodes and a big explosion rips across the valley (with one of those cool special edition single-plane-ring-explosion things) wiping out two armies.

Gets up, dusts himself off and deingnites his lightsaber.

just kidding.

6. GersonSith

Apr 30, 2002
    All I have to say to that is, Titanic?

7. Acthar_Sm-Ith

Acthar_Sm-Ith Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    Jaded: you liked Equilibrium? Blech. The more I thought about the movie after it was over, the stupid the entire concept of the movie got! It was like they took 1984 without the political commentary, the first Matrix without the philisophical undertones, and Brave New World without any mention of castes and classes, threw them in a blender and poured out a steaming hot bowl of crappy 2 hours of movie. Besdies, the main character was a BLATANT rip off of Neo. He dressed, looked, and acted like Neo. Boo.

Anyway, my list:
    1 UHF
    2 Empire Strikes Back
    3 A New Hope
    4 Day of the Dead
    5 Attack of the Clones
    6 Akira
    7 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    8 LotR:The Two Towers
    9 LotR:Fellowship of the Ring
    10 Return of the Jedi

8. DarthDarkstar

DarthDarkstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    These arent in any order

1. Goonies (ok that one is number one)
    2. Zoolander
    3. Last Crusade
    4. Empire Strikes back
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. Matrix
    7. Die Hard
    8. Temple of Doom
    9. Back to the future II
    10. Remember the Titans

There are so many more I can think of

9. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Yes Titanic, that was a great movie. (I have a romantic side I keep far below the surface) But it's not at the top of the list and the only reason its not lower is becuase there aren't a hundred million numbers between 5 and 6 becuase anything below Star Wars is so far below Star Wars as to be impossible to see. But you cant make a top ten list that goes like this...

1.Empire
    2.AOTC
    3.SW
    4.TPM
    5.ROTJ
    1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.Titanic
    1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001.The Matrix
    1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,002.T2
    1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,003.Raiders
    1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,004.Trek VI

becuase then everyone wonders what movies are between 5 and 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001

10. JADED_JEDI

JADED_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Oh yeah,

and
    13. Zoolander

11. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Revised list

1. The Empire Strike Back (The uncontested champion for 23 years and holding strong!)
    2. Attack of the Clones
    3. Star Wars
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. Return of The Jedi
    6. Titanic
    7. X2
    8. The Matrix (Not sure about this one, its been tainted thanks to the sequels)
    9. Terminator 2
    10. Raiders of the Lost Ark

12. GersonSith

Apr 30, 2002
    For some reason, I think you actually like Star Wars too much Axia. Wait, nevermind, that's not possible. My inner-George just said that nobody likes it enough.

13. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    lol. My feelings exactly, with that in mind I have revised my list again...

1.The Empire Strikes Back (special Edition)
    2.The Empire Strikes back (theatrical release)
    3.Attack of the Clones (DVD Release)
    4.Attack Of the Clones (Theatrical Release)
    5.Star Wars (special edition*)
    6.Star Wars (Theatrical release)
    7.The Phantom Menace (DVD release)
    8.The Phantom Menace (Theatrical Release)
    9.Return of the Jedi (Special Edition)
    10.Return of the Jedi (Theatrical Release)

There we go! I knew it was wrong before. All fixed. Now thats a top ten list!

* minus that Jabba scene and that Greedo nonsense

14. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    This list is kinda in order, but something might be moved around.

1. The Jerk
    2. UHF
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Attack of the Clones
    5. A New Hope
    6. Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
    7. Army of Darkness
    8. The Producers
    9. Blazing Saddles
    10. The Matrix (not the crummy sequals)

If you really wanna see all of my favorite movies... check out Moron's Movies of the Week.

15. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    No, no moving on my list becuase they are my favorite movies. If anything needs moved its your list, a complete overhaul Im thinking. :)

BTW I have a question for all of you, or a lot of you...

A lot of you have put comedies on your all time favorite movie lists. I dont understand this. Comedies, no matter how good become less funny and less entertaining with subsequent viewings. How can they be amoung your favorite when they arent funny any more?
    Im curious.

16. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Watch The Jerk 10 times, and it is still as funny.

17. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    By that same mindset, you should not be able to understand how someone could list a horror movie or suspense drama as a favourite movie. Each subsequent viewing of the film would greatly depreciate the shock or suspense value respectively. Thus the only movies which would be deemed worthy to be listed would be straight action movies, as all other movies have an intangible quality that makes the movie enjoyable which become less fulfilling as time moves on. People enjoy movies that they can relate to and find a value that does not ebb as years fly by. Star Wars is a favourite movie for most here as it has with it fond memories of youth and the added bonus of the comradery that the movies have spawned. In the same stead, a movie like UHF has a profound link to the very essence of my being, as it truly speaks to me the ideal of humor and life in general (and the link between the two).

I am being unbelievably wordy today. I am so bored at work.

18. GersonSith

Apr 30, 2002
    Comedies are the same as any other genre in that the goal is to tell a story. What makes movies good in my opinion, is the story. Everything else is secondary to the story. Movies are never the same the second time you watch no matter which genre they belong to. You can only be tricked by movies like Sixth Sense once. In the same way, you can only be jolted once by the fact that the whole world is really a computer program in Matrix. And there can only be one time that you're surprised that Vader is Luke's father.

Having said that, there are some comedies that really do wear out their welcome. I feel that way about Dumb and Dumber. I hate that movie now, but I laughed really hard the first few times I saw it. But then, there's not much of a story behind that movie.

So, comedies can be enjoyed multiple times as long as the story is still good as far as I'm concerned.

19. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    They may not be funny to new people, but I think they retain some of their funniness to the original viewer.

So I Married An Axe Murderer, for instance, still makes me chuckle.

As does Nothin' To Lose, which I find VERY funny.

Maybe the initial funniness turns into a sort of nostalgic funniness, which still elicits laughter.

NOTE: Add to my list Monty Python: Holy Grail!

20. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Yeah Im bored too, you see how many threads Ive done today. About what you were saying though, I totally agree thats my point. Funny doesnt stay funny, horror doesnt stay horror, drama doesnt stay drama, ( though I think there are exceptions to the drama ) and most of my favorite movies have lots of action. I love action but I also like a point to the action and most of my favorites are (IMHO) very well done movies. But funny just doesnt stay funny.

I love Ghostbusters, LOVE that movie, I watched and watched and watched it and the last time I put it on I couldnt get through it becuase it was all memorized and I was bored stiff. So I dont understand how comedies make anyone's list. Ghostbusters just isnt funny anymore.

Star Wars is timeless. (IMHO)

21. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    wow... 5 bored guys with nothing better to do than this... could there be anything greater in all the world? Well, except Natlie Portman, but that's a given.

22. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    Yes, and in the same sense, action does not stay exciting. How many times can one watch the original Star Wars before knowing eevry line and what is going to happen? If you strapped a child who has never seen nor heard of Star Wars before into a chair and made him or her watch episode 4 over and over, would it incite the same euphoric nastolgia that we have come to associate with it? Definitely not. Would the child think it was an amazing movie? Maybe yes, maybe no. The criteria that you base your "classic" movie choices on is entirely biased by the memories surrounding the movie and not necassarily the movie itself. So one can not discount others' choices for a "classic" movie if they are, in fact, based on the same criteria you have set yourself.

23. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    No, if it was only nostalgia then theres no explantion for new fans of the original trilogy. And I get the same tingle I always get when I hear a lightsaber ignite. I will grant you I dont have the same reaction as the first time I saw Mace jump into that arena or when he takes down Jango, but the tingle is still there.

when Vader says to luke "You are beaten, it is pointless to resist! Dont let yourself be destroyed as Obi-Wan did!" I still tense knowing lukes gonna bat away that blade. In fact with all the history we know now thanks to the prequels these movies have become even richer to me. And I stopped counting somewhere around 100 viewings of the orginal trilogy and that was years ago.

If I had to watch Ghostbusters (genius though it is) 100 times I would beg to be killed

24. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    Yet Ghostbusters does have action, it does have suspense, it does have other quality which are present in Star Wars. What, then, does Star Wars have that makes it worth viewing onehundred plus times? It can not be just the action, as that gets tired; it can not be just the story, because you know it inside and out (including material which was not even considered at the time of the movies inception as in the Extended Universe); the acting is not top notch. thus, there must be some other quality of the movie which draws you to view it further. In that same right, comedies have the same lasting effect on others.

25. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Some, if I may be so bold, ineffable quality that makes movies classics, while others are tossed away like a bag of moldy tangerines ;) . It is this incogitable characteristic that makes Star Wars float to the top, while other great Sci-Fi movies, for instance Martians Go Home, sink to the bottom of cinematic consciousness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.