main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Top Ten TV series

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jet-Eye, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    I hardly watch TV because of one obvious reason: the shows we are subjected to are all, mostly terrible. There is the odd show that pops up that is brilliant, but it is forced to the late hours of the night, because most people are IDIOTS and have no idea about quality, preferring Everybody Loves Raymond over Arrested Development. Not that it's a bad show, but Arrested Development is oh so much better.

The DVD era is sensational, bloody hell, LordVaderFF Dags and Adalia_Durron, I don't know how you guys coped all those years without em..

Here's my top ten:

1.The Games (with John Clarke, Brian Dawe and Gina Riely. Simply the best Australian TV series ever produced, period. I must have watched it a hundred times over. I never get tired of Clarke's dry observations!)
    2.South Park
    3.Curb Your Enthusiasm
    4.Seinfeld
    5.The Sopranos
    6.Lost
    7.Arrested Development
    8.Battlestar Galactica
    9.Angel
    10.Neon-Gensis: Evangelion

And I hope to see "The West Wing" and "Yes, Minister" over the next few weeks when I am free from this thesis.

Here's hoping that the upcoming Star Wars series can deliver on a Battlestar Galatica level..

2. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    1. Boston Legal
    2. The West Wing
    3. Arrested Development
    4. Lost
    5. Absolute Power
    6. Buffy: The Vampire Slayer
    7. Firefly
    8. Californication
    9. The X Files
    10. Neon Genesis: Evangelion

Honourable mentions must go to: The Footy Show(AFL), Hey Hey It's Saturday, Club Buggery, The Monday Dump, Fast Forward and Full Frontal, Iron Chef(Japan), all of which are firm/appropriate shows, but not really "TV series" as SUCH Brian! Corrr...some of.

3. Jet-Eye

Jan 10, 2001
    So smashing some beers next week and watching Footy Show highlights dvd..

4. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    VHS for us was more than enough. Before VHS though ... hmmm.

I have yet to watch The Games much to my regret (which is really stupid as I'm a big follower of the Olympic Games) so I can't comment on your comment except to say the either running a close 2nd or on a par with The Games must be Frontline.

After watching Frontline you'll never watch a Current Affairs show the same way again.

5. Jet-Eye

Jan 10, 2001
    Ah yes, Frontline!!! I've seen episodes and loved every moment. That whole Late Show team are just hilarious, plain and simple.. Thanks Dags, gonna have to get my hands on Frontline in addition to West Wing & Yes Minister. Cheers!

VHS?? hahaha good old days

6. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    AH, Frontline. Might have gotten a gurnesey in the top 10 if I'd thought of it actually. ;)

Might need to revise my top 10 once everyone's put in their 0.2, might refresh the memory for some gems.

7. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Sorry to hijack the thread but what I find funny is that sometimes old technology can be looked upon faithfully and with a quaint sense of respectful history. Vintage cars, phonograph record players and even dial up telephones are a bit like this.

But VHS is one technology that I don't think anyone will ever really miss. Ironically I know people who still have hundreds of video tapes and there were those who owned the whole series of Star Trek Next Gen episodes which took up an entire bookcase of storage as opposed to just half a shelf as DVD does now.

VHS served its purpose well but it needed to go. The cruel thing is that watching a VHS tape on a modern plasma or LCD TV is painful. The picture quality is so bad that you feel like you're in the stone age - even with high quality pre recorded tapes. VHS didn't just die, it was killed.

As a result of this, most tapes these days are simply thrown out rather than being held onto for potential value reasons, sold off or passed on to others to enjoy.

Funnily enough having said all this, I still own a number of VHS tapes (including a three pack vid set that's still sealed) and I still use my VCR to record a regular programme I like.

I now release this thread back into the open air :)

8. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Heroes!! :D

That is all.

9. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Let's refer to this thread again in 7 years time and see if Heroes is the only answer you give :)

What is needed are shows that stand the test of time. In the 90s people went totally ape over X Files and Xena. Ask anyone about Xena now no one cares oneiota about it. If it wasn't for the new X Files film, that too would be forgotten.

Finding shows that have longevity 10, 20, even 30 years after they were created. Now THAT'S a challenge.

It's for this reason my vote goes to M*A*S*H as being the best TV ever made anywhere at anytime.

10. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Some of these are going to be old-school, i'll bet some people have never even heard of these
    in no order since I couldnt decide which of these are my favorite over another
    1. Quantum Leap
    2. Tales of the Gold Monkey
    3. Voyagers
    4. Silver Spoons
    5. A-Team
    6. Lost
    7. Chuck
    8. Magnum PI
    9. Remote Control (MTV game show)
    10.Brisco County Jr.

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Well, okay, no. If I were to try and list a top ten it would go something like:

1. Heroes
    2. Buffy (and Angel, at least the first couple of seasons)
    3. Lost (first season; it just got too mindboggling after)
    4. the original CSI
    5. House
    6. Charmed
    7. Grey's Anatomy
    8. Friends
    9. Survivor (yeah yeah)

... hm one short. If you count miniseries, there's also Taken, Dune and Children of Dune, and Carnivale, but I don't think I followed any others. (I like the X-Files in theory, but I don't think I've ever watched an episode all the way through- I used to get all freaked out by it when I was little.)

Half the appeal of all those older shows is nostalgia anyway. I loved Buffy and Charmed when they came out, but I can't watch them any more because I just roll my eyes at the cinematography (especially the first season of Buffy). Likewise for Friends, and Survivor is only cool the first time around for the complex politicking and backstabbing.

12. Jet-Eye

Jan 10, 2001
    Have to disagree Dags, I think X-Files has a far longer lifespan than Xena - I don't think anyone ever took Xena the warrior princess anything near as seriously as they did X-Files. But yeah, you won't be seeing repeats of X-files a la MASH or Seinfeld or Friends...

Xan, Angel > Buffy. More stuff going on, don't you think? You reading the comics after the series? Joss is writing 'em, firm stuff..

13. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

1. Buck Rogers
    2. Battlestar Galactica (the one with Lorne Green)
    3. Flash
    4. Space 1999
    5. Lost in Space
    6. Mr Ed
    7. Land of the Lost
    8. Get Smart
    9. The Adventures of Dobby Gillis
    10.Happy Days

Showing my age now.

14. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    In no certain order:

1. Kolchak: The Nightstalker
    2. The Goodies
    3. Survivor
    4. Robotech
    5. Supernatural
    6. Steptoe & Son
    7. Band of Brothers
    8. The Greatest American Hero
    9. The Professionals
    10. Seinfeld

15. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Oh I agree that X Files outwins Xena hands down, no arguements there. What I find funny is that both shows in the 90s had such a big following but these days are practically forgotten, Xena especially.

Speaking of Buffy/Angel, I'd hate to see them vanish into the well of obscurity too. Let's hope they don't.

16. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Anyone who thinks the fan following of Xena is dead needs to make friends with more lesbians under the age of 25 :p

17. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    That's right: didn't Xena have a cute lesbian sidekick? I remember their being a hot sidekick.

Although, on current standards I'd have to retract that 'cute', given that she was a ranga. They're not allowed to be cute anymore. (Thank you Jonah).

18. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Ya know, I would've thought that to be an absolute minority group, but somehow I get the feeling it isn't.

I went ten bowling at Knox a few months ago and in the lane right next to me were two girls who fit right into that category.

An interesting world we live in.

19. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This was my list for the JC Top 100

1. South Park
    2. Monty Python's Flying Circus
    3. The Chaser's War on Everything
    4. Top Gear
    5. Simpsons
    6. Seinfeld
    7. Futurama
    8. Scrubs
    9. The Office (US)
    10. Lost

Since then, I've fell in love with both Arrested Development and How I Met Your Mother. Scrubs and The Simpsons both drop out of the list. My current list is as follows

1. South Park
    2. Monty Python's Flying Circus
    3. Top Gear
    4. How I Met Your Mother
    5. Seinfeld
    6. The Chaser's War on Everything
    7. Futurama
    8. The Office (US)
    9. Arrested Development
    10. Lost

Someone mentioned Frontline. I discovered that show in high school, and watched the rest of the series about a year ago. Fantastic stuff, really brilliantt and it, along with the Chaser, have meant that I can never watch ACA or TT without cracking up at the utter stupidity of both shows.

The new show from the guys that made Frontline, The Hollowmen, is also quite good. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

20. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    1. Smallville
    2. Roswell
    3. Bones
    4. Supernatural
    5. House
    6. How I Met Your Mother
    7. Two and a Half Men
    8. Scrubs
    9. Heroes
    10. Battlestar Galactica

Anime top 10. :D (in no particular order)
    1. Gundam Wing
    2. Gundam Seed
    3. Bleach
    4. Naruto
    5. Transformers
    7. Starblazers
    8. Justice League Unlimited
    9. Orphen
    10. Full Metal Alchemist

21. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    No room for Evangelion in your second list, Jades Fire? :D

22. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Hm. I see a very good show missing on all those lists. Two very good shows missing in fact.

My list:

1) Torchwood
    2) Doctor Who (both classic and new eps)
    3) Supernatural
    4) CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
    5) Top Gear
    6) M*A*S*H
    7) Life On Mars (the original UK version)
    8) The Chaser's War on Everything
    9) Fringe
    10) Burn Notice

23. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    1. Friends
    2. Sex and the City
    3. Law and Order SVU
    4. Two and a Half Men
    5. House
    6. The O.C - I'll get burned for that one

Can't think of anymore favourites.

24. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003

We went outside, played cricket in the street, or tennis. Rode our bikes and marveled at the wonders of Pong at our Rich Friends homes :p

1. M*A*S*H
    2. CSI
    3. Law and Order
    4. Star Trek TNG
    5. Star Trek Voyager
    6. Star Trek DS9
    7. The Nanny
    8. Starsky and Hutch
    9. Original Battlestar
    10. Simpsons

25. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5