main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Topic: Is bumping ones head... I.E. Jango and the stormies really genetic??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by GrandAdmiralSchmiggy, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralSchmiggy

GrandAdmiralSchmiggy Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2002
    "Throughout as we go through the movie there's all little funny moments like Jango bumping his head because in Star Wars one of the stormtroopers bumps his head on the door as they leave the control room on the Death Star and I thought wouldn't it be funny if that's a trait that Jango has. When he puts his helmet on and everything he can't really see that well and so he's constantly bumping his head and that trait gets cloned into all the stormtroopers and that's why they keep bumping their heads."
    --George Lucas

Okay, D Lowe posting this again got me to thinking. I dont see how "bumping ones head" is genetic. Anything I have ever read on genetics, or experienced in my life, I dont think this applies. This is from numerous biology classes, and anthropology classes. I wouldnt say that "clumsy" people, give birth to more clumsy people, it doesnt make sense.

I feel more so that, clumsiness is more affected by social and outside factors then it is genetic. Our surroundings, etc.

So, I just think that George saying that, is kind of silly. Clones having dark hair like jango, ya, sure. But someting that is affected more by our habitat, no I dont.

My mom has a tendency to spill food on her shirt while eating... but I dont....

Opinions?

2. VuaRapuungRules

VuaRapuungRules Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    It's total bull imo. Not even GL himself should have the nerve to claim that's possible. Just let him stick to sound in space eh?

Only thing that pops to my mind as an option is the fact that Jango, and thus perhaps his clones, have poor depth perception. But I think that's crap too, for he wouldn't have been a great shot then. And no way would his genes have been cloned in stormtroopers if that were the case.

Maybe it's just the big clumsy sight-narrowing helmets, seems a lot more realistic.

3. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Uh... I think the whole thing with Jango hitting his head was really just a joke for the fans. Don't take it too seriously.

4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's just meant to be a joke.
    No need to get all Star Trek about genetics and so on.

5. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I agree with DamonD and Tropical_Plumber. It's just a joke.

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I don't know much about genetics or biology, so bear with me here. I think genetics could be a factor in clumsiness, that is that your genes might increase your chances of being clumsy by a few percent or something like that. Environment, training, etc would be the deciding factors, so to speak. Like for example my dad is rather bull-in-a-china-shop-y and I'm slightly clumsy as well, but not that bad. *shrug*

Just a thought ... but most likely it was meant as a joke.

7. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Genetics can play a part in clumsiness, just like it can in intelligence, by affecting the brain. Clumsiness can be related to depth-perception and blind spots. It seems that the Fetts are susceptible to dead-on attacks.

Pick up "A Cartoon Guide to Genetics" for a great explanation of the topic. Science-fiction can be more fun when you have a grasp of science.

8. Admiral_JasterMereel

Admiral_JasterMereel Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Purely a joke for the true fans of Star Wars.

I was one of the only ones who noticed it the first time I saw it in the theatre. This proves that the true SW fans are needed to carry on the legacy, blah, blah, blah...

You Rebel Scum!
    ~Bôba Fe++

9. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

It is nothing more than a sly reference to the Stormy hitting his head in ANH.

Nothing more than a simple joke for the fans. ;)

10. Lady__Skywalker

Lady__Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2002
    Of course it's genetic! Anyone who thinks differently has bumped their head quite a few times.

8-}

11. GrandAdmiralSchmiggy

GrandAdmiralSchmiggy Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2002
    I originally thought it was a joke also. But listen to the Commentary on AOTC. George attempts to be a scientific about it. I just didnt buy it. If he had said, ya, we just tossed this in there to make people chuckle about it... but I think he really believes this is "science".

Listen to it again, tell me what you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.