Torchlight Parade!

Discussion in 'Spokane, WA' started by JarusSarn, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarusSarn Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, tentative plans for the Torchlight this year, SpoCon has secured a walking spot in the parade. We, of course, have been invited to join them. I would suggest lots of lightsabers, it'll be a cool sight, to have 15 or so lightsabers downtown at night all at once. So if you think you can join us for this, post here, and let me know if you've got a costume and lightsaber that you can bring. I'd like to nip this event in the bud. Thanks!!

RSA EDIT: Stickied! :)
  2. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    I am interested. What is the date?
  3. Raph1613 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, with the loss of the Spokantina Calender, I have no idea when the Torchlight Parade is.

I've got two functional sabres that I can bring, and my "generic Sith" outfit. Will the weather be warm or cold?
  4. JarusSarn Jedi Master

star 4
    Off the top of my head, I'm not sure. I'll have to look into it.
  5. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    Count me in! I think I might have a lightsaber or two around here SOMEWHERE............
  6. Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR

star 6
    Lethan Twi'lek with Darth Maul blades checking in. :)

Bevan is also in with his Jedi complete with glowing weapon. :)

I am excited for the parade - gonna look into finding a more comfortable pair of boots for the costume though. I'm not sure I can survive a parade in 5 inch heels unless I start practicing now :p.
  7. Corvalis Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's May 16th. If I can get my robes finished in time, I'll be there with my glowie stick as well. That's a big IF though...
  8. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    If I can get my butt in gear, I plan to have extra costumes for people to use. That is a big if, but I hope to have some Queen Amidala stuff for some girls to wear. We want as many people in the walking group so we can have a big impact. If I do get some extras, I will want to fill every costume. When we get the website back and fixed, maybe we can have a role call function where you can "sign-up" for an event and include the costume you plan to wear.
  9. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    That is an awesome idea.
  10. Darthchromer Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am not sure if you all are aware, but the Lilac parade turned Spocons and the 501st applications down to march in the parade.
    They do not want costumed groups in their parade for some reason.
  11. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    [image=http://www.anaitgames.com/wp-content/darth_vader_nooo1.jpeg]
  12. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
  13. Raph1613 Force Ghost

star 4
    ?????!

I thought we already had a spot secured/reserved?

So this event is dead in the water?

Let me know fast. I have to request the time off in advance or just go in to work.
  14. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    I say we go regardless, even if we're on the sidelines again.
  15. Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR

star 6
    I sent John a message to find out what's going on and he says he's not sure. He plans on asking at the SpoCon meeting this Sunday.
  16. Darthchromer Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was told by the parade rep that the lilac parade does not want to go the way of costumed groups. If they let the 501st in then they will have to let everyone with a costume in and thats not the way they want the parade to go. I don't know what the original meaning of the parade is supposed to be, but they obviously don't want sci-fi to be any part of it. Their slogan for this years parade is "Everyone loves a parade"...unless your into scifi, then you must hate them. No Worries, there are plenty of other parades that love to have the costumes in them.
  17. JarusSarn Jedi Master

star 4
    There was nothing mentioned at last night's meeting about this, which likely means that Chromer's right and it's dead in the water. Pity, could have been fun, but yeah, like Smudge says, if anyone still wants to go down and bum around in costumes, set something up :D maybe we can get sean and steph into an "event" before they go home for the summer :D
  18. Darthchromer Jedi Knight

star 1
    I heard from Rob with Spocon that they were denied. But always doubble check with who ever told you, it might have been the Junior Lilac Parade or something different they were talking about.
  19. JarusSarn Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Glenn, are you guys planning on coming down for Bloomsday with SpoCon and The Spokantina? I'm sure Rob's mentioned it, but I thought I'd double check :D
  20. Darthchromer Jedi Knight

star 1
    I will be there and I think Roger will again also.
  21. JarusSarn Jedi Master

star 4
    Awesome! You guys rock ;)
  22. Thumpernicus Jedi Padawan

I guess if you guys were dressed more like Chuck E. Cheese, or the mascot of a local School you would be ok for the parade.
    Oh, and they are band UNIFORMS, not Band Costumes... even if they were playing the Imperial March.

Lilac Parade committee needs to be talked to about this...
  23. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, just as an update, I talked to Dawn at Bloomsday, and she was the one who was working on getting an entry into the Torchlight parade. What I got from her is that they didn't want us as a walking group unless we were marching. However they were willing to over look that fact if we were able to get the necessary $500 insurance for the parade, which was what ultimately killed the entry. I have known about the insurance issue for a couple of years, and that is why I tried to get dues going so long ago, so we could afford to enter the big parade. So, as far as I know, they might have a problem with us being in costume, but I think it was more that we weren't a float or a marching group.
  24. Darthchromer Jedi Knight

star 1
    We had the insurance so the later is probably correct.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.