main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Torchwood] UDC 5 "Bits and Pieces" Week 5 up! Starring Tosh

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by KirneySlane22, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KirneySlane22

KirneySlane22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2003
    Disclaimer: BBC owned this show. I'm just coming to turns with the mess they left it as. All episodes and crossovers with Dr Who are fair game for this.

1.Doctor

?Oi! Tea-boy! Get down here now!?

?I'm busy Owen.?

?I don't freaken care. You screwed with my stuff. Get down here now!?

?I did no such thing, Owen. I know better than to mess with your things.?

?Oh, really? So you didn't have anything to do with how my poster now looks??

Ianto smirked. ?What do you mean? Is something wrong with it??

Owen came over to where Ianto was making the morning coffee. ?Just because you hate doctors gives you no right to put my face on the head of the target!?

2.Companion

?You loved her, don't you.? It was more of a statement than anything. He knew the truth, even if he didn't want to believe it.

?Yeah. For a while, she meant more than anything to me. But she wasn't mine to have, never was.? The second guy paused. ?She already had what she wanted.?

?Why do you say that? Your not known for giving in so easily.? The first one took his hand. ?Instead you seem to take it as a challenge.?

?She had her Doctor. All I was was a second hand companion.?

3.Time

The first time his stopwatch broke, it was because it landed on the wrong side of an over turned chair. Jack just smile when they found it, reminding him of the fun that night. Ianto just went out for a new one.

The second time was after the cannibal incident. They never did find it. Jack was the one who replaced it that time.

He wasn't sure when it had broken the third time. By the time he found it, broken, in Jacks office, he could care less. Jack was gone. There was no reason to keep time any more.

4.Space

He likes to hide in the archives. His personal domain, an office that was just big enough for a work shelf, a desk, and a cabinet. He had to turn left twice and right once in order to get to it at the end of the hall. He loved getting the others confused down here. It was his private joke, that no one could find anything down here but him. If they only knew how much this little room meant to him, maybe they wouldn't always try to bother him. Because for him, this tiny bit of space was freedom.

5.Dimensions

?I was wrong.?

?About what??

?About you. Remember when we first met? You commented on how the Tardis was bigger inside.?

?You told me that 'You'd better be.'?

?Yup. I remember thinking that picking you up was a mistake, that I was going soft 'cause of Rose. But I was wrong, thinking that.?

?Your not. I'm just another failure.?

?I know that you think that now...?

?They died because of me! How does that make you wrong??

?You, Jack, are bigger on the inside. If you weren't, you wouldn't be caring.?

2. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Nicely done! I love Torchwood, and the prompts this week were perfect for it. I did like the first one a lot, since Owen is my favorite character, but the final line of the last one was so Doctor-ish, and so true: "?You, Jack, are bigger on the inside. If you weren't, you wouldn't be caring.?"

If you're keeping a PM list, would you please add me to it? :)

3. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    those are really nice :D
    me likies

~ Mags ~

4. KirneySlane22

Jun 12, 2003
    Thanks for the reviews Maggy and TheMacUnleashed. I appreciate it. :)

Week 2

1.Island

On Flat Holm Island, there was an old WW2 base. Jack knew it was there because he has worked there, saving King and Country. By the time Jack bought it, the base was run down, barely fit for living. He made it livable again. It had to be, if he was going to use it for the Rift refugees, the ones who were too broke and damaged to go home.

He was finally in charge. He could no longer ignore a problem that he could fix. He would help them, even if he had to keep it from everyone else.

2.Survival

They locked her in the tiny vault. Six paces by four paces, it could hardly be called a room, but it was now home.

They refused to tell her anything after they took her away. All she wanted was to save her mother's life, but they called it treason. Treason, just for making a stupid piece of technology in exchange for her mother's life! She didn't even know if her mother was safe or if she, too, was stuck here in hell.

Toshiko stared at the door. She would survive this. She had to survive this. She had no choice.

3.Lost

Jack doesn't remember much about when he left the Boeshane Peninsula. His memories of that time have reduced down to feeling, imprints, scenes.

He remembers feeling helpless to do anything to help the colony. He was barely of age in that time, but he had been through so much. His father dead, Gray missing, after the brutal attack from the outsiders. His mother's grief after shattered him in ways that still haunts him. She pushed him aside, as though she couldn't bare to see him.

He left feeling lost. He no longer had a home after that. Everything was lost.

4.Other

Gwen was, by nature, an outgoing person. She knew that she was often perceived as a gossip, a meddler, an airhead. She was willing to acknowledge that people often just put up with her. She was even willing to acknowledge the fact that most people took an instant dislike of her because of that.

But it hurt when she felt like she didn't belong. It was even worse in such a small group, like Torchwood. The let her in, why wouldn't they let her be part of the team? When would she stop being seen as the ?other? girl?

5.Flashback

Ianto woke up screaming. His eyes searched the room for unseen enemies for the first few minutes, before settling on the figure next to him.

?Jack??

?I'm here. It's okay, you're safe here, I promise.? Jack took his hand.

?Why now? I was doing so good. They were going away.?

?Its because of the anniversary. They'll go away again.?

?I hate this Jack. I don't want to keep waking up and wondering where the Cybermen or Daleks are hiding.?

?I know. But it will get better. The dreams will fade.?

?Promise??

?Promise.?

5. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    liked Other and Flashback best
    awesome work :D

6. KirneySlane22

Jun 12, 2003
    Week 3: Jack and Tosh (a/n: Mods, if I need to edit a certain word out, please let me know. I'm not 100% sure if that word is allowed or not, but I also didn't believe that it was in the banned list either.)

1.Far

He never thought he would see the end of the universe. The Time Agency had blocked this time from any visitors. All new recruits have to swear on their lives not to visit the Forbidden Zones. The end of the universe was one of these zones.

It had been tempting to see how the planets died out, how mankind died out. To see what had survived. He was glad that he never gave in. Now that he was here, he could see the beauty for what it is and appreciate it so much more than he would have back then.

2.Prisoners

Jack followed the Unit soldier through the complex. He hated being here. He called this place one of the forgotten places, where names disappeared and the living ceased to exist.

He watched as the dead were marched in front of him, going from barracks to barracks. He knew that he could do nothing for them, that most of them deserved this mindless existence. He had not come to save them.

He came into the room where she was waiting. Nodding at the soldier, he dismissed him and went up to the woman.

?Hello Ms. Sato. I'm Captain Jack Harkness.?

3.Peacekeeper

?Jack? Whats going to happen now??

?What do you mean?

?Don't play dumb. It doesn't suit you. You know I'm talking about Ianto.?

?He betrayed us Tosh. There are certain protocols that I have to follow.?

?And I know that is the last thing you would ever do. Not if your the same man who brought me here.?

?And what would you like me to do, Tosh? Because to be honest, my hands are tied. I'll be damned if I do and damned if I don't!?

?Make peace. With yourself and with him.?

4.Uncharted

?This is highly irregular, Captain.?

?I know, sir, and I wouldn't be asking for this if she wasn't the best at what she does.?

?She's a traitor. What would Torchwood do with a thing like her??

?She made a version of the Doctor's sonic screwdriver with plans that were incomplete and completely wrong. She's a certifiable genius, General.?

?I shudder at the thought of letting someone like her loose on your toys.?

?Which is why she will be under my control. She won't have free reign. Besides, you owe me.?

?Fine. Take her.?

5.Scape

?Tosh! I could really use some guidance here!?

?Got it! Turn right at the next intersection.?

?Done. Now what??

?Go three blocks then turn left. There will be a field about two miles down the road. That's where the signal is coming from.?

?Are you sure about that, Tosh??

?Yes, Jack Why??

?Ianto??

?Yes, Sir??

?There's nothing out here, is there??

?Don't know what you mean, Sir.?

?If I promise never to compare the archives to a wild goose chase, will you admit that I was sent on one??

7. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Well done, on the past two weeks. I liked your portrayal of Gwen as an outsider -it's never easy to adjust to a new situation, and not instantly being accepted can make things many times worse.

For this week, I especially liked "Peacekeeper:" we didn't see too much of Tosh, when compared to the screentime that Gwen, Jack, and, to a lesser degree, Ianto, got, but I think that she would have fit that role well.

I'm looking forwards to more! Your drabbles always work the themes in perfectly, and they're a lot of fun to read. :D

8. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    awesome :D
    when Jack appeared first in DW I didn't really know what to think of him ... but somehow the guy grows to you ;)

9. KirneySlane22

Jun 12, 2003
    Week 4 - Ianto

1.Smart

?I thought that Ianto we all agreed that the tea-boy wasn't allowed with in 10 feet of our poker nights?? Owen said.

?Why??

Gwen, did you invite Ianto?? Tosh said, picking up her hand.

?Yes, why? Isn't he supposed to know about them??

?Hello, everyone,? Ianto said, approaching the table. ?I see no one told Gwen I'm not allowed to play with all of you anymore.?

?But why? I thought that this was a team thing.?

Ianto laughed. ?It is, but they got tired of giving me all their money. I count cards.?

?Jack??

?Yes, Ianto??

?Who are these people??

?They were the team before I took over. Alec was the head at the time.?

?What happened to them??

?You don't know??

?It happened before I joined Torchwood. And the records here don't mention anything more than the fact that you took over 1 January, 2000.?

?It was New Years Eve. I came back from celebrating the night to find everyone dead. Alec said that he did it because we weren't ready. That the 21st century was when everything changed. And then he killed himself.?

3.chief

?Ianto!?

?You bellowed, Sir??

?Archie's on the phone. He needs help finding something in the main archives at Torchwood House. He wants to talk to you.?

?Let me talk to him.?

As Ianto talked to Archie, Jack tried to at least look busy. After a few minutes, he gave up pretenses and just watched Ianto. By the time he got off the phone, Jack was scowling.

?Remind me why I let Archie know that I promoted you to the Chief Archivist of the Torchwood Institute.?

?So you wouldn't have to listen to Archie complain.?

4.Agents

?Are you a secret agent, Uncle Ianto,? Mica asked, looking up at him.

?Now what gave you that idea??

?Mam said that your job was a secret. That your not supposed to talk about it. So are you a secret agent??

?No, Mica, I'm not a secret agent.?

?Then what do you do, Uncle Ianto??

?I work in an office.?

?Ya, right.?

Mica gave Ianto a disbelieving look. Ianto just laughed.

?Its true. I don't have a glamorous job. Now the people that I work for.? He smiled. ?That's another story.?

5.Shoes

One thing that Ianto noticed right away was the shoes that everyone wore. He could almost tell what kind of mood people were in by the shoes they wore to work.

Suzie always wore combat boots to work. Ianto always assumed she was going on the pull those nights that she wore her flats to work.

When Tosh wore hills to work, he knew that she was feeling good about herself. Both her and Gwen wore sneakers when they were having bad days.

Owen was like himself, wearing practical shoes no matter what.

Jack wore traditional military style boots, always.

10. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    awesome :D

11. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Nice look at Ianto. He really didn't get much characterization in the early series, and you managed to shed some light on him.

I liked the final line of "Shoes;" its implications about Jack were perfect.

12. KirneySlane22

Jun 12, 2003
    To Maggy and TheMacUnleashed: Thank you so much for your reviews. It means a lot that there are others out there who can understand my pov when it comes to the torchwood gang. I hope Tosh comes through as well as the others did.

Week 5 - Tosh

1.Super

?Tosh, can you help me??

?What ya need??

?Jack wants me to learn about making new id's for our resident aliens, but I can't seem to get this program to work.?

?Let me see what your doing. Oh, I see. If you look here, this line isn't understanding what your doing. If you put this, here, it should work.?

?One of these days your going to tell me why mainframe will only work for you.?

She laughed. ?I'll do that the same day my computer super powers stop working, hows that.?

?Works for me.?

2.Bat

?Hey, Tosh,? Jack said, walking up to her. ?What ya watching??

?Little League World Series.?

?Baseball, huh. Who's playing??

?Japan vs. Canada. It's actually a very good game. Japan has a strong team this year.?

Jack just shook his head. ?I never have understood your fascination with the game.?

?You try growing up in a traditional Japanese home and not be obsessed with the national game. My grandparents may have immigrated here, but they never gave up on watching the game. We learned at an early age to appreciate the sport.?

?Well, have fun.?

3.Wonder

?And this is the Hub,? Jack said, letting Tosh into the place.

?Wow.?

?Amazing, isn't it. Your station will be over there. Would you like to take a look at the computer system?'

She turned to look at Jack, puzzled. ?I...?

?You can ask me questions, Toshiko. I will answer.?

?I'm not a prisoner here??

?No. You're my employee, not a prisoner. You'll be under surveillance, of course. All new Torchwood employees are for a few months.?

?Thank you.? Tosh looked around once more. ?For trusting me here.?

?You're welcome, Toshiko.?

4.Hawk

Her grandmother always used to say that she had the eyes of a taka. Toshiko took great pride when her obaasan noticed her abilities of observation. It was a skill that was cultivated in her, and that proved to be of great help when she started to work with computers.

When her grandmother died, she was the only one that was prepared. No one else noticed the signs. She had noticed the fatigue, the slowing of movement, the pale skin, long before anyone else. She didn't need to have the eyes of a hawk to understand what she was loosing.

5.Lantern

It was five days after Mary was destroyed that she found the andon on her desk. The paper covering was done in the shape of a dove, an origami just big enough to go over a tiny tea candle. The white paper was covered in phrases from the many languages she spoke, speaking of forgiveness, friendship, hope. The tiny lit candle gave off the scent of jasmine, her favorite.

It was the note that sent her crying. The note, one she never threw away, spoke of understanding, friendship, and the strength of moving on. Coming from Owen, it meant everything.

13. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004

14. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    That was wonderful. I loved the final one; it's nice to see Owen caring for Tosh.

15. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    this deserves an

UP!!!

and week 6 [face_batting]
    any chance for that?
    not to mention the other weeks :p O:)

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, lookie! Torchwood fanfic! :D And even better, Torchwood drabbles. I like the little looks into the characters; every drabble is very appropriate. :) My favourite is this one:

5.Shoes

One thing that Ianto noticed right away was the shoes that everyone wore. He could almost tell what kind of mood people were in by the shoes they wore to work.

Suzie always wore combat boots to work. Ianto always assumed she was going on the pull those nights that she wore her flats to work.

When Tosh wore hills to work, he knew that she was feeling good about herself. Both her and Gwen wore sneakers when they were having bad days.

Owen was like himself, wearing practical shoes no matter what.

Jack wore traditional military style boots, always.

You can tell so much about people by their footwear! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.