main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TORCHWOOD

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Twinky_Stryder, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's not a patch on Dr Who, even with Catherine Tate in it.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I think that it's too different to even begin comparing. That may be why a lot of Whovians have issues with it. It's an entirely different series. It's been designed so that you can watch and understand it without ever having seen Dr Who. Yes, there are a few references (I need a special kind of "doctor") but nothing that would confuse anyone.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It links well, with nice little references (note the 'New Mayor of Cardiff' picture in the last episode on a door with the Slitheen lady who posed as Mayor in Eccleston's series).
    The Cyberwoman also was a good tie-in.

I think though that fans thought a spin-off would be as good or better then Who considering being post-watershed allowed for greater violence and generally scarier villains. Thus far it has not delivered much on that front.

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    But my point is you can't say it "better or worse" than Who, as the two are just not comparable. They are entirely different series, and if you set out expecting "Dr Who" then you will automatically be disappointed. It's not Dr Who, and it doesn't try to be. It's totally different.

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I agree with halibut. Torchwood was never meant to be Dr. Who with more violence and sexualisation. Think of it as more like the X-Files but set in Cardiff.

6. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    So what happened tonight? Tuned into BBC3 at 21:50 but no Torchwood on, just a really bad episode of Tales of the Unexpected.

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Meh, it was OK. Still a lot better than a select few of the episodes from Season 1.

8. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    This season is really entertaining me. Just a great laugh (diliberatly lol) and good fun.

The Ianto/Jack dynamic is great, everyone is getting great character development. Martha coming onboard for a bit was great.

Just a really fun show this time around. It reminds me of when I used to watch buffy on the beeb.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't see what the big deal is over the whole Jack & Gwen thing. Why is she so much more special then any other weird life form that Jack has had?
    She's not even the most attractive female member of the Torchwood team.

Rumours abound that Martha is to have a permanent role in Torchwood after this series of Dr Who, so perhaps Owen really will die and not come back

10. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    But, he's already dead?

11. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    TORCHWOOD lost me for a few weeks, but they have me back slightly with this week's BBC3 episode. Nice premise with the old cinema and the circus people.

How long it's going to be able to keep me this time however remains to be seen, but it's doing better than last season.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I meant as in he won't be walking around as though he were alive anymore, if the rumours are true.

13. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    This series of Torchwood has been pretty much knockout thus far imo. It's only 9 episodes in and already it's better than series 3 of doctor who. (though I agree with Hal, you can't really compare it, way too different).
    very much liked this weeks episodes (not as much as the first episode where Owen is 'Dead') - It felt extremely League of gentlemen... which is an amazing thing imo. Also interesting to see was Julian Bleech [face_mischief]

14. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I knew it wasn't gonna be long before Myfanway appeared on Torchwood :rolleyes:

15. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Oh? That was her was it? Didn't recognise her.... [face_blush]

Good episode though.

16. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Aye. Gwen should really have asked her for a bacardi and coke. Her or Jack, anyway.

17. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I liked the flashbacks and all, but 2nite's BBC3 was simply a filler till the final 5 seconds. All I can say is, "Yay, Captain John's back!"

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    At least it wasn't a clip show ;)

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I thought Torchwood was just on Wednesdays? Why was it on last night? :confused:

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    They changed it to last night for some unknown reason, but we won't see the final episode for 2 weeks :(

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Yeah, that's evil :(

22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't last night's episode was a "filler" per se. I'm sure most viewers had wondered at some point how the different people got involved with Torchwood in the first place.

If it's filler you want, watch that utter piece of tripe called "Adam". 2 mins of story wrapped in 50 mins of crap

23. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    But containing important plot points; apparently Grey (Jack's brother) Is really the evil one - he was introduced in this episode, and further more according to the tv guide We will be saying good bye to someone - if Martha's going to have a permanent place in Torchwood Series 3 then I presume Owen will be properly blown up, or be decapitated or something - really die.

24. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    'but we won't see the final episode for 2 weeks'

Eh? The bombs episode was last friday if im not mistaken, and the finale is this friday.

Thats a week.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I was talking about the BBC3 week early episodes ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.