main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TORCHWOOD

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Twinky_Stryder, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Can't wait for 2nite :D

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I wonder if that freaky old evil guy from the end of last series will turn up, his thing was never resolved.

3. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    :( Toshiko! :(

4. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Oh my, that was AMAZING!

Best episode and best finale of all the dw/tw seasons.

Owen and Tosh's deaths had me welling up, Owens was a perfect one for his character, only saying his final words to tosh and no one else. And it was so 'wrath of kahn' aswell. Tosh's was really emotional, performances were excellent. Really didnt see her death coming before I sat down to watch the episode.

This new serise of DW will have to go some to top torchwood.

5. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm still crying, on five tissues so far.

Well it made me cry more than "Captain Jack Harkness" last year, so TORCHWOOD has really stepped up.

Toshiko was my favourite character. It's nice now that we know what she was doing in London, but it now means I'm going to cry every time I watch "Aliens of London".

Looks like, however, that we're gonna get characters next season.

6. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    OMG that was meh! What a waste of the license fee, with tosh like that (no pun intended) they may as well not bother with another series. We can only hope that Dr. Who is better.....

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I enjoyed it. Character death always brings out the best of the actors, and Davies never kills any of the main companions in Who, so yay for bumping two off in Torchwood.

8. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    I enjoyed it, but the series would've benefited from having this be a proper 2-parter rather than having that flashback episode setting it up. Then Grey's motivation could've been explained with a bit more than 'awful things happened', and John's evil nutter to good guy switch might not have felt as rushed.

Toshiko was the only character I really liked:(

I might have cheered if it had been Gwen instead:p

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree very much, Gwen is far less useful then Tosh was.

That was certainly a suprise though, I expected Owen to be destroyed because of how he was, but that was it.
    Was well done, but it lacked a real major alien threat like the giant devil thing last time. Lots of Weevils aint overly threatening.

Acting was great and it was well done, but I expected a little more from it.

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I was surprised by the deaths, and pleased that they actually did that, but thought that the episode overall was cramming too much in, and was trying to hard to get from A to B and forgetting to make sure it hung together in the process.

I thought the whole thing with Jack being buried for 1,900 years was stupid. It was cast off so quickly, too ("It was my penance" oh right, that's okay then :rolleyes: ). Didn't like that. So much is made of Jack living through a couple of hundred years to find the Doctor, and then 1,900 years is brushed aside as a simple plot mechanic.

Also, what sort of bad guy lets someone throw a ring into Jack's 'grave' without having it checked out? Gray is 'so merciless', and so bent on revenge, and yet he is stupid enough to let that ring be passed to Jack. Stupid.

The whole buring Jack thing was idiotic.

And yeah, blowing up huge amount of Cardiff... another one of those situations where the adventures (be they the adventures of the Doctor, or Torchwood) were made too public. I hate that. Besides it wasn't dealt with, was given short shrift, and felt like spectacle for the sake of it. Lazy. There would be ways to cripple a city, more fantastic ways to cripple a city, than to just blow large parts of it up.

The episode needed to be a two parter, perhaps spanning a series finale and first episode of a third series. Speaking of which, I haven't heard anything about a third series, which makes you wonder if it was all crammed into one becaus they don't know if they're gonna get a third series.

As ever with Torchwood, there is some fantastc writing, some great scenes, some great characters, and some great setups and scenarios...it's even moved beyond the parochial feeling of being set in Cardiff... but the execution continues to leave me cold.

But kudos on killing two primary characters in one epsiode. I don't recall ever seeing that on the small screen before. Torchwood may not ge an awful lot right, but if it's anything it's brave. They also need considerable praise for Owen's arc this season.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I would think they'll do a third series, especially as they've lined up Martha as a replacement member and this series got more viewers then the last.

They probably didn't mention as they may not have started filming, what with Barrowman's commitments to his new game show and Lord Lloyd Webber's various things.

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm pretty sure they confirmed a third series.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh.

Ok.

That means they crammed everything into that episode deliberately. Which is much worse.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't understand. Have I missed something? :)

15. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Blake, Vila, Tarrant, Dayna and Soolin (maybe Avon as well) with blasters and in slow-motion as well.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't know who they are, and thus my statement remains true. ;)

17. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    Lol but blakes 7 was because it was the last episode ever, and they thought 'lets just kill everyone!'

(Apologies to anyone working their way through blake's 7 for the first time, just ruined it lol)

And Tosh made reference to covering for owen during the pig-alien situation from the slitheen episode in the first of the new DW series. Thats 'what she was doing in london'.

And yes, Owens storyline was the best i've seen in any tv show for ages.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I suppose had they not planned on killing him off at the end of the series, there might've been some easy get out to recover the status quo. But that's just nitpicking.

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Making Captain Jack totally immortal I think will present a problem in how to end Torchwood when the time comes.
    I know he can rapidly heal from gunshots and alike in a similar fashion to Claire Bennett in Heroes, but now he's more Gen Dai like Durge, being able to reform from minimal parts when blown into thousands of pieces. Normally total bodily destruction is the only way to kill someone who can heal.

I suppose they could go down the route the EU did with Durge and have Jack launched into the Sun. Try healing when you're vapourised each time you re-form.

21. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    As Jack will outlive everyone involved in Torchwood at the present perhaps they will finish with a one-off special set in the far future which shows the end of the organisation.

22. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    Are we all forgetting what he becomes in the end? o_O

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.