main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TORCHWOOD

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Twinky_Stryder, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Gwens accent is really going to bug me.

I have nothing against the Welsh accent but she seemed to go from English to vaguely Welsh to very strong Welsh back to somewhere in between back to Strong Welsh then back to English again.

It was like listening to an American try to do a British accent in a movie and go from Yank to false Brit and back again.

Mind you at least when she sounded Welsh she actually sounded Welsh

2. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    Anybody know when this is repeated? i completely forgot it was on

3. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    I think!!! it's Wednesday BBC2 at 9.00

4. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006

That's cos, surprise surprise, Eve Myles is Welsh :eek:

She played Gwyneth in the First Season of Dr Who (the maid killed by the Gelph).

;)

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Can you tell her to stop sounding English then?

It's very confusing and distracting.

I've decided that I don't think I like the fact that Jack can't be killed. Immortality just makes tension impossible to build up and is too easy a cop out.

High levels of radiation and the place will blow unless someone goes in and fixes it.... the only problem is it's a suicide mission

Jack "No worries I'll do it"...................."TADA"

They have to make him mortal again and fast (The link up reference with Bad Wolf was good though)

6. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
    lol

I agree re the immortality thing - what's with that? Seems kind of a strange way to take the character imho. Although there is a hint that he doesn't actually want to be immortal so maybe that will play out later.

7. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I missed the reference to Bad wolf, when was it?

8. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I think Jack can't die because of the Time-vortex in the Tardis after rose released it against the Daleks[face_thinking]

9. Vyka

Vyka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    Computer says Yes! It let me back in (doesn't like all the graphics)

I really enjoyed Torchwood, which suprised me. I wasn't expecting a spin off to be so good. Can't wait until the next one.

10. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ...when (spoilier for those who havent seen it yet...)the Doctor and Rose met on the beach (well - via a 'gap' in the universe that had appeared)...she said that the name of the place where it was, abroad(I forget) translated as Bad Wolf or something....irony eh....

11. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Torchwood scores digital first

Jason Deans, broadcast editor
    Monday October 23, 2006
    MediaGuardian.co.uk

Torchwood: tied for third place with BBC1's Wide Sargasso Sea on 2.4m viewers

BBC3's Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood launched with 2.4 million viewers last night - believed to be the biggest ever multichannel audience for a UK-originated, non-sports programme.
    The heavily promoted BBC3 drama, about a bunch of alien hunters in Cardiff, is thought to be second only to an episode of Friends, broadcast on Sky One six years ago, which attracted 2.8 million viewers.

Multichannel ratings are traditionally dominated by live football and US imports such as The Simpsons, so the success of the homegrown Torchwood is a real boon for BBC3.

The BBC digital channel's previous best is thought to be the 1.9 million viewers who tuned into an episode of Little Britain in October 2004.

Last night's first episode of Torchwood was the third most watched show on any UK network in its timeslot, between 9pm and 9.50pm, beaten only by ITV1's Prime Suspect and Channel 4 movie The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Torchwood also tied for third place with BBC1 drama Wide Sargasso Sea on 2.4 million viewers.

A second instalment of the new BBC3 drama, shown back to back with the opening episode, attracted 2.3 million viewers from 9.50pm - an encouraging result, suggesting that Torchwood held most of its audience over nearly two hours.

12. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I totally forgot this was on. I'll probably watch the repeat at 10.30 tonight.

13. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I only saw the first episode on Sunday and enjoyed it very much. I feel it could have been better, I just always get the sense that the photoraphy is rushed (same goes for Dr.Who) and lacks the craft and polish of Spooks, but I guess being Sci-Fi and VFX heavy there are greater constraints which compromises things. Solid writing though, and I liked the characters.

Will watch the second eppy tomorrow on BBC2.

14. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    i managed to cathc them both earlier today. not bad at all though i dont like how captain jack isnt as maverick.

and i think it's obvious to say that the Hand is the Doctors

15. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I liked it...especially the Lesbian action =P~. Shame neither of them were good looking though.

16. I_cant_believe_that_

I_cant_believe_that_ Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2006
    I can't believe that you thought neither of them were good looking. With you around am I safe in this shirt?

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    GG1 are you blind? :p

I liked it. It's much darker and more adult then Dr Who. John Barrowman is good, as are most of the cast.
    Part 1 took a while to get anywhere, but it can be overlooked because it was an introductory episode. Part 2 was good, and funny, and we found out more about certain characters.

I understand Jack's ability to not die, but it could spoil the series if he's able to see off all danger easily because it can't kill him.
    I'm not sure why he was so worried about the hand in the jar. I don't know why you think it's The Doctor's Orn....has he ever lost any limbs?

I look forward to next week.

18. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    It is the doctor's hand, he lost it in the xmas episode. It says it in the radio times aswell, they had a guide to torchwood's hideout.

I saw the show last night, pretty impressed. Although episode 2 had a silly storyline, it did provide a very good scene in the torchwood cells (you know the one i mean lads lol ;) )

19. major_phennir

major_phennir Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2006
    Okay, I am going to be the one to pour cold water on all this enthusiasm for Torchwood because sorry to say, I was a little disappointed. By the end of the second episode last night, I was bored and just waiting for the story to drag itself to a conclusion that was as predicatable as it was lame.

What was all the fuss about it being for an adult audience? There were some sexual references and a 'sex' scene plus some 'effing this and effing that' but really quite tame I thought. I also find the token references to homosexuality in Dr Who & Torchwood tedious and rather tired. To me adult doesn't mean a few throwaway mentions of sex and a sprinkling of 'F' words, adult means addressing issues that are controversial, thought-provoking and challenging.

The second episode reminded me very much of an Outer Limits episode (from the 1990s series) which had a similar premise about an alien feeding off sexual energy or some such nonsense.

Having said that there were some parts of Torchwood I did enjoy. Not least the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously and knew when to poke fun at itself. For the most part the writing was to a high standard and there were some interesting 'adult' issues explored like mortality, sexuality and identity. Trouble is they all seemed to have been dealt with rather better previously in Dr Who.

I'll stick with it for now, I may change my mind.

20. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    i very much agree with the major.
    and why did the holding cells look like hannibal lector and multiple miggs were lurking just off-camera.
    "i cut my hands,i cut my hands... look at all the blood!"
    ooh,yucky!

21. I_cant_believe_that_

I_cant_believe_that_ Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2006
    I cant believe that you think that you poured 'cold water on all this enthusiasm'. Not on my enthusiasm anyway.

22. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I enjoyed it, but the whole references to homosexuality are very tedious. I understand Davies is gay, but all these references aren't everybody's cup of tea, and could lose him audiences.

23. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    LOL [face_laugh] I thought the same!

And Spike I agree with you too. I think there are too many homosexual references and innuendos. It ain't necessary and its becoming just a tad boring.

24. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Hopefully Davies will get over it in the later episodes and we'll get a good, serious, gritty drama and not a gay romp. We know he can produce good quality TV, but he needs to understand not all of us want to watch this stuff.

25. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    I'll stick with Torchwood for now. See if it improves. If not, there's always a new series of Dr Who next year :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.