main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TORCHWOOD

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Twinky_Stryder, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    meh I am still waiting for it :(

my guess if I am lucky tomorrow lunchtime I will see it (about 5pm for you)

2. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Yea, shame they couldn't get the weapons lab open and go crazy on her. :p

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Well, we got an explanation for the cyber-boobies pretty early on in any case.

I wonder if that was the case with Yvonne in Doomsday, her whole body was transplanted and somehow kept her basic memories.

Nice fight between Cyberwoman and the Pterodactyl. Lol@ the use of BBQ Sauce :p

A mixed episode, but pretty good all the same.

But please, no Daleks in Torchwood! [face_praying]

4. _Durge_

_Durge_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2003
    the butler or whatever hes called is a crap actor
    he needs to be deleted

and a cyberwomen with what looked like ankle boot heels
    give me a break
    all that was missing was a metallic looking handbag

5. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    No we need Davros;)

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Poor, very poor.

Deus Ex Machina with Jacks immortality (as I predicted) Pterodactyl taking on a cyberbird WTH? why did she stomp around really slowly instead of shooting and disabling them and then upgrading them?

I had high hopes for this one and I was sorely dissappointed.

Have they forgotten that Cybermen don't like Ggold either or are these new parallel universe ones immune to that trick?

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Have they forgotten that Cybermen don't like Ggold either or are these new parallel universe ones immune to that trick?

The allergy to gold was a one-off IIRC. And I don't think the parallel universe ones are affected.

8. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    Wikipedia
    Their weakness to gold has not been mentioned during the 2006 series, although the Cybus Industries tie-in site makes reference to earlier prototypes having an "allergy" to gold, stating that this was eliminated after further improvements of the Cyberman body

9. _Durge_

Mar 25, 2003
    i still dont know how they are called cybermen
    theyre not alien
    if george lucas had made the original cybermen then he would be sueing right now

10. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    i still dont know how they are called cybermen
    theyre not alien

And 'cybermen' is alien how?? Its what they are, they are cyber...men! Or women as this weeks torchwood showed.

Which I have just seen on bbc2 and I have to say I enjoyed it very much. A lot of blood...although I still get the 'bbc doing gore' thing when I watch.

Next weeks looks rather interesting.

p.s Didnt that man who got half upgraded look ****** up!!!!!! That really did freak me out a bit lol

11. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Missed this on Sunday but caught it last night and must say I'm sorry I skipped SG Atlantis for it. It was definately the weakest episode so far. I can't believe how disjointed it all seemed and the thing that bothered me the most is how "Cyberbabe's" boyfriend is still employed after lying to colleagues, causing the death of two innocent people (why was nothing said about the poor pizza girl, oh and how was that operation carried out in the first place? Cyber's head was still intact for example)and potentially allowing the Cyber's to get a foothold again! Jack should have shot the whinging idiot when he had the chance! Oh and how many more people is Gwen going to snog, her boyfriends horns must be getting bigger by the day! lol!

Rant over!

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Torchwood seems to be very much the Sci Fi Robin Hood for the Autumn

Loads of promise but a little bit cack.

Like RH I'll continue to watch (simply because there is bugger all on at the same time) but I'll not be paying much attention.

Atlantis last night was very good.

13. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
    Also sacrificed Atlantis for Torchwood lastnight. It wasn't too bad, but I think I'd have preferred Atlantis.

The trailers give you the impression the episodes are going to be good, but then wham, bollocks (sorry Tim :p) - Torchwood appears to be about emotion and that is why it fails imho. Emotion belongs the focus soap operas, not SciFi. Some emotion sure, but not the central point. Blimey, I was so embarrassed for the actor who played lover boy - cringeworthy role.

I think they need to do less of these type of series and plough the money into Dr Who so he can get off Earth a bit more. The budgets of Torchwood and Robin Hood could have been better used.

14. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Torchwood is a load of indulgent, parochial, poorly executed crap.

15. _Durge_

Mar 25, 2003
    And 'cybermen' is alien how?? Its what they are, they are cyber...men! Or women as this weeks torchwood showed.

they are alien as the originals are from another planet
    the name cybermen is their title
    not a generalisation
    like all daleks are daleks
    not tinpotcreatures
    unless im wrong about cybermen not being their correct terminology
    do they have a correct name
    the ones in the new series only had the brains anyway
    from men and women
    what did the original cybermen have
    full alien bodies
    im genuinely not sure

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Cybermen

In a nutshell

The Cybermen are a fictional race of cyborgs who are amongst the most persistent enemies of the Doctor in the British science fiction television series, Doctor Who. Cybermen were originally a wholly organic species of humanoids originating on Earth's twin planet Mondas that began to implant more and more artificial parts into their bodies. This led to the race becoming coldly logical and calculating, with emotions usually only shown when naked aggression was called for.

17. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    From wikipedia: The Cybermen are humanoid, but have been cybernetically augmented to the point where they have few remaining organic parts. In their first appearance in the series, the only portions of their bodies that still seemed human were their hands, but by their next appearance in The Moonbase (1967), their bodies were entirely covered up in their metallic suits.

And: It is presumed (and often implied) that beneath their suits still exist organic components and that they are not true robots: in The Tenth Planet, a Cyberman tells a group of humans that "our brains are just like yours", although by the time of Attack of the Cybermen this seemed to have been replaced with electronics. In Earthshock (1982), the actors' chins were vaguely visible through a clear perspex area on the helmet to suggest some kind of organic matter. In The Tomb of the Cybermen (1967), veins were visible through the domed head of the Cyberman Controller and similarly, in Attack of the Cybermen (1985), the Cyber Controller's brain could sometimes be seen as a purplish tint through the dome. However, in Revenge of the Cybermen (1975), the Doctor says they are "total machine creatures".

And you're right, the Cybermen (originals) came from the Planet Mondas, which is purported to be Earth's long-lost twin planet. Also, According to the Cybermen themselves, the Mondasians were once exactly like human beings, but to remove various weaknesses such as a decreasing lifespan, their scientists designed cybernetic spare parts to replace the organs of the human body.

18. _Durge_

Mar 25, 2003
    thanks to the last two posters for that info
    i should have really used google
    but lazy and slow internet does not compute
    i knew i had read somewhere they were alien
    thanks again

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It was a good episode.
    Emoitional, well-acted and used a classic villain,even if it was in a different form.

Interesting to see she didn't change even when her brain was in a new body, she still wanted an upgrade.

20. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I keep missing this episode, don't know how though, given the amount of times it's repeated!

But it doesn't sound like i've missed anything special, judging by most of you guys lol.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    John Barrowman is on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross right now.
    Check it out.

22. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Personally I agree with what they said that watching slappers in boob tubes fighting seagulls for chips should be a professional sport.

23. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I finally managed to catch a repeat at about 1.30am last night. I agree with Richie - it was a good episode.

This week's looks very weird.

24. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Personally I agree with what they said that watching slappers in boob tubes fighting seagulls for chips should be a professional sport.

[face_laugh] His interview gave me soem of the biggest laughs i've had in awhile. But I bet me and my mum where the only ones who didnt know he was gay lol

And I loved jonathan going into one about points of articulation. All I could think was that he's just like us lol

25. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    He was so mean about the action figure.

I actually have that Captain Jack figure and think it's great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.