DFW, TX Tornado Alley

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Starburstlvr, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay, being from North Carolina, I in no way, shape, or form should be afraid of tornadoes when I live in the Hurricane Capital of the World. And hurricanes as we all know are the Godfather, if you will, of tornadoes. However, you know when the Godfather wants to see you, but when he sends his henchmen after you - you don't know until it's too late.

However, I've tried to prepare myself for moving into "Tornado Alley", articles such as these from the Weather Channel's official site don't help matters much.

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/030424midweststorms.html

I know all the basic rules and such, but is there anything else I should know about?
  2. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    Don't sweat it. I have lived here in Dallas for 29 years and have never actually seen a tornado. I have seen the aftermath of about 3 total during that time.

Aside from staying away from windows/glass and trying to get in the middle of your house, there's not much else you can do. If I remember the statistic correctly, you have better odds of getting struck by lightning or eaten by a shark.

Don't go swimming! :)
  3. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Two tips.

1. Don't live west of Dallas.

2. Don't live in a house made out of banana leaves (ie. mobile home).

If you can avoid these two things, chances are, you will never be bothered by a tornado. :)
  4. THX_Jedi FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I live in a brick building. I think I'm safe.

[to self: Or is that just brick venner?]

:cool:
  5. Jango_Bango Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have lived in TX, AR, MS, & TN and have seen so many tornados, I have lost count.
    I have had many close calls. I even had a tornado completely destroy the house next to
    me. Wait...now that I think about it...it almost seems like I am being aimed at... :eek:
    and they keep missing me...I have to stay one step ahead of them....wait...is that a
    dark cloud on the horizon ?[face_plain]

TTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOO
  6. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, if you anger the gods, you're not really safe anywhere.

And if you ever see Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt driving your way in a big Dodge truck while listening to Van Halen---get out of there quick!

Oh hey, Jeff? We never went to the moon, right? ;)
  7. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, believe me I know the whole trailer issue, I lived in one until I was about 12 years old - so my eye naturally is always on the sky. When I was very little we lived in Greenville, NC which I consider to be the tornado alley of NC - there is forever a tornado or funnel cloud going on there.

So, when I was about 9 we knew the weather was really bad and left to seek better shelter with a family we knew from church. She was a custodian there so we went to the church for several hours. Once things calmed down (which we all know when things are calm - that's when the fun begins), we left and on our way home - we saw a huge white funnel cloud I'm guessing about half a mile away if that. Let's just say I had some nightmares for years afterwards.

However, about two years ago, I was driving to my father's house from my mother's. It was about 3pm and I had to turn on my headlights because it got so dark. So, I turn on this one road and look to my left - and across the fields - just above the treetops are *2* tornadoes - in their early stages. After doing several sets of double takes to make sure my eyes weren't fooling me, I made a quick 911 call, which was good since they continued to form and decided to have a bit of fun before dying.

Surprising thing about that situation was it didn't frighten me at all (that may be due to the fact I was heading the other way). Perhaps, I'll be okay in Texas
  8. Jango_Bango Jedi Knight

star 1
    For some reason Stephanie...you just reminded me of the "Hyper one". :p
  9. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll take that as a compliment? lol
  10. Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Master

star 3
    Starburstlvr - I've lived in various locations in Texas for quite a few years and have never seen one, so I guess it's kind of luck of the draw (or unluck??), but I have been through a Hurricane (that was a wild experience), so go figure.

I will admit though that it still freaks me out when I hear the Civil Defense sirens go off :eek:.

Lisa
  11. stone Jedi Knight

star 2
    it could be worse...

you could be moving to houston and get
    hurricanes AND tornados.
  12. Nightcrawler13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    ...and flooding.

The counties that always pop up on the tornado warnings tend to be Palo Pinto and Van Zandt.
  13. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, living in NC, I'm used to hurricanes and the occasional tornado. 1999 brought us two tropical storms and a hurricane within two months. That was some major flooding to say the least.

But when you're moving to a place nicknamed Tornado Alley, it makes you think once or twice :)
  14. Admiral_FishHead Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well i've lived in a place between Fort Worth and Dallas for the first nine years of my life, then i moved to Tucson, Arizona (hot and stupid). Sure miss home....but any way i was a mile away from a tornado (its pretty cool to see plywood flying in the sky while your in your car eating fruit by the foot :D ), it was fun scary beyond all reason.

Hello, if you guy/gals don't mind, i'll be posting here. even though i don't live in Good old Texas any more. :( :_|

And if you have any questions about Arizona i'll answer them.
  15. Admiral_FishHead Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sorry i killed this thread. :_|
  16. jedilona Jedi Master

star 4
    There there now...
    The thread is not dead, it's just sleeping..
  17. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Knight

star 2
    But it's got beautiful plumage.
  18. Admiral_FishHead Jedi Knight

star 1
  19. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's okay - I'm sure the thread will fully bloom once a tornado occurs here or there.

And I did not just jinx us!
  20. THX_Jedi FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I guess its just because its routine here, there was just one 2 days ago. It was just south of Dallas. We're already getting the usual storms that just pop up within a few hours.

:cool:
  21. Jango_Bango Jedi Knight

star 1
    That little 'pop-up' storm yesterday totalled my wifes Ford Exploder. I quit counting
    the dents from that hail at about 65...I imagine its over 100 dents...oh 'hail' ;)

They better freaking total it...my truck got about 6 dents...from golf ball size hail
    but my wifes truck was pummeled with golf and tennis ball size hail....OUCH!

You know what made me not feel so bad was my wife told me that 3 cars down from hers
    was a brand spankin' new Porsche with temp tags.

Kev
  22. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    lol, Kevin... that's funny (about the Porsche), but sorry to hear about your wife's car. hmm, it didn't even rain here. i didn't know there were any storms. :) (seriously)

23. DarthSidious87 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Don't live west of Dallas.

Wow,too bad for me [face_plain]

But I haven't seen much Tornadoes over here in Dallas which I'am glad about that because I have seen alot of Tornadoes hitting other states which leave a big mess! [face_shocked]

Tornadoes can be very dangerous since it causes lots of deaths.
  24. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    "Tornadoes can be very dangerous since it causes lots of deaths."

Gee... ya think??

Jesus Christ... like, DUH... or something!!
  25. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh leave the guy alone - he's only 16! Some people need the obvious stated - and even then they don't get it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.