main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Toronto Episode III: The Final Line (first update)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Lelila, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Star Wars Episode III marks the release of the final chapter in the Star Wars Saga; it also means that this is Toronto's last opportunity to do something absolutely crazy to celebrate: it is our last chance to hold a week-long Line Up. Images of lines around the block outside of Mann's Chinese theatre in 1977 were the catalyst for the two-week line in 1999, celebrating the release of Episode I. The success of the first line - all the new friends, new memories, the enthusiasm and the fun - led us to hosting a second line for Episode II in 2002. That line saw even more friendships made, and was even wackier. Now we are nearing the end. The last Star Wars movie ever to be released. The last time anyone will be crazy enough to line up for a movie for this length of time and our last chance to relive the fun, the excitement and the adventure that only a Star Wars film can bring out in people.

As promised, here is the first update on the planning for the Toronto Long Line's final line for Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.

On Saturday, February 26th the first organizational meeting for the Episode III line took place. In attendance were David (TheGrandePoobah), Adam (Adam-the-Indifferent), Alex (Styrofoam_Guy), Greg (KingBob), Joseph, Christina (Elewyn), Roupen (SandwichBoy), Debs (Lelila), Tragic and THEREALSHMII. The meeting brought together members of the first and second organizational committees and several new faces. We developed a solid outline of what needs to be done, and progress is already being made. March brings a lot of behind the scenes work; while April brings many opportunities for the group as a whole to participate in the planning of the line. The organizational team is here to facilitate the process and ensure that things are running smoothly before and during the line up. Your input and feedback is always welcome, and will always be taken into consideration. This event belongs to all of us, and we will all have a hand in making it successful.

Theatre:

Our goal is to hold the line up at the same location we were at for Episode II at the Sheppard Grande Cinemas at Yonge & Sheppard. The location offers ample sidewalk space, eateries, 24-hour bathroom access, and many other necessities that make long stays on the sidewalk a lot easier. We are currently in the process of contacting the theatre management, and will update once we have the location confirmed.

Charity:

During our time in line for Episode II, we held a food drive for the North York Harvest Food Bank, in an effort to bring in food for those who are less fortunate and to raise awareness for the organization. The North York Harvest Food Bank has been in existence since 1986, and "distributes food to nearly 60 non-profit community food programs serving thousands of men, women and children each month." Our food drive was a great success, and we think we can do even better this time around with your support. Again, we will confirm that we will again be supporting the North York Harvest Food Bank as soon as we have those details. Your suggestions on how to make this food drive a success are more than welcome.

Communication:

In order to communicate with the organizational committee, we have set up an email address for general use, torontoline@gmail.com, so that anyone who has any questions or ideas or comments can write in.

All of the Ad Hoc have access to it, so you can expect a quick and detailed response. We are here to take on many of the organizational duties of the line, but we need your cooperation and feedback to help make it a success, because, after all, this is your line and we want to make it an experience that we will remember for the rest of our lives!

A website dedicated specifically to the line is already in the works and we expect to launch the completed site by April 1st. Adam-the-Indifferent, TheGrandePoobah and Relm are working very hard to get that up. Here is another place where we cou

2. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    long time reader first time liner. I'm in for the line up, and i'll take shifts whenever i don't have work..

3. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    I can not make promises... but.. I'll do my best to be there any chance I can...

4. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I'd probably be able to hang out on a shift for a few hours on the weekends and Monday evenings, but because of work work work training for my summer paddling trip and work, Tuesday to Friday is pretty much booked solid already.

Sabrina

5. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

I'll be able to stay in the line up for most of the time. My classes are literly right around the corner, and I have been waiting to line up since Ep II (didn't know about the club til after the dvd release) So you can count on me sticking around quite often :)

6. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I can do a few shifts in the line up. I have costumes too. ;)

7. Psiberian

Psiberian Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2000
    Just arranged to take that week off of work :)

I'll be around starting on Sunday night...Looking forward to it !

8. Anakin_Padme4ever

Anakin_Padme4ever Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 29, 2002
    I really want to do this line up, however, I don't know yet what my schedule will be like during the period of time chosen...but when I do, I'll definitely post in and let you know. :)

9. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Just checked my theatre schedule,

I'm open for the entire week to be in line. Very Gleeful indeed.

10. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Psiberian, that's awesome! Man, it's going to be a lot of fun for those who can be there all the time...even when you don't know what day it is, you start to smell, and people threaten to duct tape you to your chair...you'll be there through it all.

So far my plan is to be there from Fri to Sun. Then, Monday evening, following work. After work on Tuesday, I will stay through until the screening. So, I'll only miss one day of work on Wednesday and I'll go in extremely tired on Thursday...if I go in.

11. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Yay :) I'm actually starting to get kind of excited.

I plan to be there most of the time, but on Sunday the 14th my choir is doing a concert in London so I will probably be at that all day, but we shall see!

12. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Well with shift work I can only pop by once and a while, but I'll certainly drop by from time to time.

Who knows, if its not too windy maybe I'll organize some Star Wars mini games. :)

13. red5jedi

red5jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 1998
    Hooray my account still works and I remember my password!!!

Lelila, I totally remember you from the Episode 2 line up wearing Padme's AWESOME blue dress. Plus, of course you were a celebrity on TV a lot for the Episode 1 line up at York.

I don't know if you remember me, but I was one of your very first internet contacts many, many moons ago. I was the guy bragging that I was going to camp out at the Mann's Chinese Theatre for Episode 1 before Lincoln's team arranged something globally...

Unfortunately something happened and my trip fell through. I was so crushed like a little baby that I had to see Episode 1 in Toronto. I was so disappointed by this that I didn't even join you guys at York. I was sulking and saw it at Paramount with some friends instead that night.

Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hello Debbie" and I may see you for Episode 3 line up again. I just don't know about Yonge/Sheppard again. Just wish there was a better location...

MTFBWY

Mark ;)

14. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    LOL! Talk about out of the blue, Mark! I do remember a crazy guy who was going to line up in L.A. but I can't recall what you look like. But remember, because of the time difference, we in Toronto got to see Episode I a few hours before L.A. did! And I called Lincoln once from our line - I must admit I wasn't too crazy about that guy, so I think you did well staying in Toronto.

Thanks for the costume compliment! I shall pass it on to my mom who was primarily responsible for it. Also, I think you're mislabelling me - I think that "Media Puppet" would be more accurate! ;)

It would be wonderful if you came to line up with us, especially if you haven't spent much time in line before! When I remember Episodes I and II, I don't remember the movie, I remember the line.

As to why we hope to line up at the Grande instead of another location like the Paramount, I'll let someone else do the long version because I am caught up in school work at the moment. We spent a lot of time prior to the Episode I scouting out theaters - and once the York became one with the Force we did the same for Episode II. After the great experience we had at the Grande last time around, I couldn't imagine another place that would suit us better - central (it would suck for those who don't live downtown to be spending over an hour in travelling time each way), safe, 24 hour places, and lots of space! And being able to take breaks inside a mall with bathrooms during the day was definitely a plus! Hopefully the feature we do about the Grande on the upcoming website will be a little more articulate than I am!

For now, I'm back to school work :)

15. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    It would be wonderful if you came to line up with us, especially if you haven't spent much time in line before! When I remember Episodes I and II, I don't remember the movie, I remember the line.

and this ladies and gentlemen is why she saw the movie 20 times.

16. Relm

Relm Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2002
    I am VERY much up for this! Classes will be finished by that time, so I can most likely commit for a good part of the entire week. :D

(God, is that the grinning smiley? TOO. MUCH. TEEEEEEEETH.)

Um. I think that's it!

*she of very little sleep and far too much sugar*

17. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I cannot believe that it has been 6 years since we lined up for EP1 :)

18. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

Here i am again. I haven't been around much in the last little while as my life has been a hectic hailstorm of craziness...seriously. i kid you not.

I LOVED lining up for episode 2 and now that many of you are some of my nearest, dearest and best friends i can't think of a better way to spend the time. I'm going to try to take some time off..probably not too much, most likely the weekends are free for me and if i can finagle a few days off i'll be there too. i'm on contract tho so no promises. I'll be around tho as per my usual :) I also now live fairly close to the lineup sooooo i can't really NOT be there now can i? ;)

It will be good to see everyone again.

and guess what? I'm SPOILER FREE SO FAR! my only allowed spoilers are the trailers. Thats always been my rule and i've stuck by it. no magazines, no internet tips nothing. Just like when the original came out all anyone got was a taste through the trailers, enough to entice the dream.

See everyone in line!....who knows? maybe i'll be able to find a half-decent costume!

19. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    ah yay another person spoiler free :)

20. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Where to begin. I'm really glad to see the positive response so far. I have not been posting to the forums much for quite some time, however I'm starting to at least read them quite frequently again, posting should follow.

I will, of course, be lining up again, and I expect to be there much of the time, as I was for Line II.

Oh, and for the Spoiler Free crowd. I too am once again spoiler free. I'll see the trailers, but that's it.

Oh, and red5jedi, I remember you from back on the countingdown forum. Nice to see you again.

21. Darth_Shaun

Darth_Shaun Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    I live right around the corner from the Grande so I will be there for sure. Unfortunately I won't be taking any time off work. My vacation days are being used up quickly this year.

See you guys in line.

22. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    One of us! One of us!

Despite writing for a website notorious for it's spoilers, I've somehow managed to remain spoiler free thus far too...but I still plan to see the trailer.

Sabrina

23. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey Red5jedi,

Were you in line on the last day of the Episode II line? I was "Mace Windu" on the countingdown boards, if you remember.

You should come out to the line, give it a try.

So far, the initial response is very encouraging!

24. Tederick

Tederick Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2003
    Hi everyone...

Can't believe we've come this far. I was just down at College and Yonge the other day and the damn Pizza Hut where I first met you all (in March of '99) is GONE. :)

I'll come up and see you guys in May, for sure. Gotta get my Epic Duel back on....

25. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Aww, another line? Do we have to? Can't we just wait for the DVD this time?

That's it! This will be the last time I line up for a movie a week in advance! Last couple of times I met lots of people, made friends and all that icky stuff!

Guess I'll be expected to make more signs and possibly t-shirts again. My work is never done

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.