main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Toronto Trek... it's coming..

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by grey_starr, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Toronto Trek - July 15-17...

Well... I know this is REAL early... but it's never too soon to make some pre-plans...

The planned events for our group are as follows...
    - TT promo film with Alex (costumes if you have them!)
    - Group Dinner

Alex will update us on his project...

but where would we like to go for dinner?... I figure it's not a bad idea to think about reserving for 25 people now... (How many people showed up last year?)... And of course members from other groups can join us!... the more the merrier!...

Any other ideas?

2. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I'll be in San Diego this year for Comic-con, so I'm not going to T-trek this year (it's on the same weekend), but have fun guys!

All hail the Spoon!

Sabrina

3. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    Well there isn't really much in the area that you can easily get 25 people to, and I think we only had like 12-18 people last year.
    And if you think this is early to plan, well lucky you.

4. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    sounds interesting... and I've never been to a convention of any type before. But I don't know if I'd be able to make it or not... too early to tell if I can book the days off work.

5. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    well the guests are shaping up with Rene Auberjonois: Odo from DS9 and Katee Sackhoff: Starbuck of Battlestar Galactica, too bad she is only there on sunday. now Id like to see them get Dirk Benidick who play Starbuck in the original series.

6. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Last year we did a group dinner on Sunday evening along with members of one or two different groups with a total number of around 30-40 I think. We called in the reservation to Tucker's Marketplace on Sunday afternoon when plans started to come toegether.

We ended up seated in two separate areas, but otherwise all was good.

There's no need to make a reservation this far in advance, heck, many people can't even say if they'll be there yet. (Go! It's well worth it.) Though it would be prudent to try and figure numbers and make a reservation by Saturday of the convention weekend.

7. SandwichBoy

SandwichBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    Leah and I will be there, as always.

8. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    <<We called in the reservation to Tucker's Marketplace on Sunday afternoon when plans started to come toegether.

We ended up seated in two separate areas, but otherwise all was good.

There's no need to make a reservation this far in advance, heck, many people can't even say if they'll be there yet.>>

So planning ahead for events isn't too important?... why not?...

I think it's be better to have everyone in the same spot... and it is easier to correct a reservation with fewer people, then it is to add people...

I can recall MANY issues at SFX about people not finding the places they wanted because they were all booked...... and who's to say this year other hotels and places wont be haven't events that same weekend as TTrek?... making finding somewhere much harder!...

and above it all... I can never do that kind of last minute event... I have kids to be home for!... so I need to plan baby sitting... once you have kids, your free form lifestyle is gone...

So if we think we might expect 40 people... I'd rather call a month in advance and plan for it... just in case... if only 20 are there... no problems...

Besides...

This was also to build interest in Alex's plan for his promo Film... he needs time to write up content, and having idea's on people that are going to help out makes that alot easier!...

sorry if this seems like a rant... it's hard to focus my thoughts with two little girls climbing on me!...

9. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

I'll be there... of course. :)

10. Duker_Duck

Jul 25, 2001
    Let's see, myself, Sebastion, Will (from the states), Sinead, just to name a few off the top of my head from our room plans thus far.

11. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
  12. Duker_Duck

Jul 25, 2001
    Not sure. It would be tough too, TT always works out as busier then SFX. But maybe instead of attending dead dog parties......

13. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I booked off time from work for TTrek...so I'll be there. :)

14. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    grey_starr, I didn't say that planning in advance was a bad idea. I just think that planning 3.5 months in advance for a group dinner at a convention is overkill.

Would a restaurant even take a reservation for that far in advance? I don't know, but I'd imagine many would not.

SFX is different, it's in the heart of downtown, which is always busy. Sunday evenings around the Airport are different.

It was not a last minute event, we've been doing a dinner after the con was over for several years, it was just the exact location and time that were not known ahead of time.

As for being seated in 2 groups, sure it's better to be seated as one group, but: 1) with a group that size it would be hard or impossible in many restaurants. 2) While the party as a whole was seated in two groups, IIRC all the TLL people were seated together.

I think it would be a great idea to call in a reservation 2-4 weeks before the convention with a high estimate for numbers and then revise it, if necessary, later on.

15. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    Guy... lighten up, I'm sorry if I came across brash... I've never reserved for a large group... so MAYBE they might like more notice... what's the worst thing that'd happen?? they'd tell me a more appropriate time to call... sheesh... after all, the hotels are actually almost booked up apparently...

There's more to the thread then just a reservation... It's about Toronto Trek... it is to get people to START thinking about it... and I don't mean the dinner... it was one of two things on an agenda... this thread might get people thinking about maybe adding more to that agenda!... who knows... maybe talks of a table! Which is something that needs to be done really early... maybe people should start thinking about volunteering... I believe that deadline is almost here... There are other events and things group members might want to consider doing as a group... There's an art contest for the Logo coming Due soon (Prize is free access to the weekend and the use of your logo)... So much to think about...

A prime example of things that needs the planning... Alex wants to make that promo video... maybe two?? and no one seems interested...

16. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Yes I want to do a promo video for TT20. Right now I have not fleshed anything out since my mind is on C3.

I was going to do one anyways and then though I wonder how we can get FF members in costumes involved.

Right now I have no ideas so I was open to suggestions.

The video is to be used for promotional purposes and the goal is to try and attract new people as opposed to those already converted. It has to strike a balance between looking like loads of fun and not scaring people into thinking of us as geeks and nerds (even though we are)

If there is enough ideas I am considering 2 videos. One will be semi serious and one I would like a little story with people in costumes, special effects etc.

So yes I am looking for story ideas. I would also like to mix in all Sci-Fi to show that TT is not just Trek or Star Wars. Maybe a time warp, space time continuum story.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

17. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Why not ask Mitch? He's getting a ton of footage for his documentry anyway. I think he would love to get something under his belt like that.

18. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    I believe it did ask him quite a while ago when he was asking about projects

19. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I know of at least 2 of us from Rochester that are heading up, but it will probably only be for the Sunday (July 17th).

~Doc_Bev

20. Aina

Aina Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2003
    well this all seems interesting....count me in! so far I'm free that weekend and I doubt any more will come up.

Also I really like Tucker's Marketplace. :D

21. jellicle_jedi73

jellicle_jedi73 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    Some of my friends do the tcon every year, we will definitly try to hook up, however i have 2 boys....

22. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    That'll be awsome...

I have two girls myself... hopefully I have no problems with babysitters!!!... Ahhh...

23. JediMomof3

JediMomof3 Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    Hi guys:

Just found out about you, from a US storm trooper at C3. Had no idea that we have an SW fan base in TO/GTA and I've been going to TTREK for years! Perhaps, you are quieter then you thought. My excuse is that I am a computer geekess by day, and try very hard not to be online after dark.

And so, my request to you, is how about a panel, instead of just a dinner, or maybe a room party? I would be very interested in trading stories and learning more about you, but Sunday's of TTREK are reserved for returning to my family before I am disowned.

Can't make your line, must work, and gotta take the kids the first time, but I am pulling them out of school early.

24. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    Welcome. C3 was insane. Quite a few of us down there but it would have been random as to if you would bump into one of us or not.

I would love to exhcange stories.

TT up in the air planning wise. A few of us here do panels.

A room party would be nice. We could try and arrange a meeting time in Ten Forward. I wil try and start a thread closer to TT.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

25. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    Okay... a room party it shall be... and I even have a source for that... perfect!...

We'll need a good sized banner for the boards to advertise it perhaps??? Inviting all the Star Wars fans to come out?... which night?...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.