main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Torpedo Troopers (aka Cruise Missile Troopers)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Koohii, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Does anyone have stats for these?
    Are they even "cannon"?
    Is it just something Hasbro made up for extra $?

About 5 years ago, Hasbro put out a toy for the "Torpedo Trooper". It was an ATAT Driver torso, head, & arms in an imperial-grey wedge-shaped vehicle shell. The underside of the nose unfolded 2 wings, a lever opened a hatch in the back and popped the driver's head up, and the engines folded down with 2 missile launchers in front.
    I was just wondering if they were in some EU book or game I didn't know about.

Anyone?

2. Fanficfan

Fanficfan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2005
    I have one of these things, the wings look cool if you reverse them but then they don't fold.
    Anyway, on topic. I've never actually seen rules for them, although admittably my swrpg knowledge is rather sparce. Would they count as space ships or atmospheric craft?

3. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    As I remember it, they're launched from orbit, enter the atmosphere, do their dirty work, and are either picked up by a dropship/carrier or return to orbit for pickup. Don't know if that was what was mentioned on the box or if that was my imagination trying to come up with a use for them.

I suppose they could function underwater too...

4. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Anyone?
    Am I just going to have to make up my own? (Wouldn't be the first time, but I thought I'd check first)

5. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    never heard of them :p sorry koohi :(

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Oh, fine. Be that way. [face_devil]

I'll pull some # from somewhere & make them up. Maybe even write a shord adventure to pit the party against them. :-B

If you're supremely (un)lucky, I might deign to post them here.:rolleyes: [face_liarliar]

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    You mean the old Cruisemissile Trooper, way back from Power of the Force 2. Its an original creation of Hasbro/Kenner, and AFAIK it hasn't been seen since. We have a minimum of background information on it, so feel free to create whatever you want.

IMHO its damn cool looking. :cool:

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2cruiseloose.jpg]

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yeah, that was it! =D= Thanks!

Hmmm... Is the pilot cyborged into it, or is the pilot supposedly able to climb out... Decisions, decisions... (I know the figure doesn't come out, just like the R2 in the old x-wings doesn't come out. I was just wondering about the application for the technology.)

I may have to do both varieties... Just to be certain I cover all bases :-B

9. Fanficfan

Fanficfan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2005
    Nah the pilot can get out. He's not a cyborg.
    IIRC then you're right about launching from orbit, into the atmosphere and then back to orbit or dropship pickup. I suppose they could also be used in space combat. They're really small so it'd be hard for them to be targetted by cap. ships, they could get in close and unload a few missiles.
    On a similar note, has anyone seen rules for zero G storm troops?

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I've seen the d6 rules for them...

Imperial SourceBook pg 48. See also the Gamma Assault Shuttle on pg 50.
    Think they're also in the thrawn-trilogy sourcebook.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Insomnia strikes, so here it is--version one:

Cruise Missile Trooper:
    Same stats and gear as TIE fighter pilot. Imperial Sourcebook pg 42.
    Important info: Piloting 6D, Sensors 4D+2, Gunnery 5D
    Helmet design adds 1D to Sensors.
    Personality: Compare the ego of a TIE pilot to that of the average spacer. Now consider that these pilots are flying a vehicle far more fragile, with far fewer defenses, and they know that it's an experimental model. In short, that are as much more egotistical as the TIE pilot is to the average citizen. They also know that the Empire considers them highly trained but still very expendable laser-fodder.

Cruise Missile Assault Vehicle
    Given the TIE Fighter's poor performance inside any atmosphere, the empire decided that a specialized vehicle was needed to dominate and conquer that field. Rather than using the standard repulsorlift models available, they decided to experiment. Where the Skipray Blastboat is a Starfighter with a Capital Ship powerplant, the CMAV is a Starfighter shrunk into a speeder. Additionally, they wanted something small that even a Victory-class Star Destroyer could deploy in large numbers to subjugate a planet. And in keeping with imperial doctrine (pilots are cheap and expendable), they wanted no-frills.
    Thus the CMAV was conceived and designed. The highly maneuverable vehicles have several advantages over TIEs: Torpedoes, High atmospheric speed and maneuverability (nothing else is even close), and they're cheap, and they're expendable. And while most ISDs can only lauch 4-6 TIEs per round, even a VSD can flush 18 CMAVs at a time from special racks. Indeed, the room needed to store and maintain CMAVs is 1/4 of the TIE fighter's requirements.
    The CMAV was designed entirely at an imperial research base with no outside manufacturing or corporate R&D input. The program security was deamed more important than cost savings.
    Tactical doctrine has the carrier ship drop the CMAV squadrons from orbit with insertion points close to Starfighter bases and major cities. Once inside the atmospher, the CMAV opens its atmospheric wings and alters trajectory for the target. The speed built up from powered dive is usually enough to give them total surprize. Mission completed, these mini-starfighters can return to orbit to be picked up by the carrier or rendevous with a drop-ship to be carried back up. The weapon systems are simple: a pair of blasters with enough power behind them to impress an x-wing, and 2 proton torpedoes for anything stubborn enough to resist the blasters or large enough to warrent additional attention (Hangar bays, fuel depots, Shield or power generators, cultural landmarks, legal offices, difficult or unreasonable politicians,...)
    The CMAV's biggest asset is also it's biggest vulnerability. Its high speed and incredible maneuverability make it very difficult for any starfighter or walker-scale vehicle to hit, and nearly impossible for a Capital ship. On the other hand, it is so fragile and small that a lucky shot with a powerful riffle can seriously damage or even destroy it. Also, once outside the atmosphere, the CMAV's speed and maneuverability are on par with a decrepid freighter--easy pickings for any persuing starfighter. There has been talk of garrisoning some CMAVs planetside, but this has yet to be put into practice as it abandon's one of the vehicle's primary tactical abilities.

Type: Atmospheric Domination Vehicle
    Scale: Speeder
    Length: 7.2M
    Skill: Starfighter Piloting Cruise Missile Assault Vehicle
    Crew: 1
    Passengers: 0
    Crew Skill: Piloting 6D, Gunnery 5D, Sensors 4D+2 (Helmet adds additional 1D)
    Cargo: NA
    Consumables: NA
    Cost: Not available for sale (estimate 15-20,000)
    Hyperdrive: no
    Nav Comp: no
    MV: 4D (in atmosphere) 1D (in space or with wings closed)
    Space: 12 or 6D (in atmosphere) 3 or 1D+2 (in space)
    Hull: 3D
    Shields: 0
    Sensors: Passive/Scan: 35/60 at 1D _ _ Search/Focus: 90/5 at 2D
    Weapons:
    _ Twin Blasters (fire-linked)
    _ _ Arc: Front
    _ _ Fire Control: 2D
    _ _ Damage: 4D (starfighter scale)
    _ Proton Torpedo Launchers

12. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Awesome... so would you say this is a speeder with some space-flight capability, or a crappy space vessel, with much better atmospheric flight capability?

I don't have much experience making vehicles for d20, but I'll try for a speeder version later.

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Probablly a speeder capable of spaceflight.
    It has the body strength of a speederbike, but the firepower of a starfighter.

Oh, I forgot to put in aquatic performance stats... oh well.
    They probablly wouldn't be that good or useful--a lot slower and less maneuverable, but still decent. Nah. The Empire will have to come up with a aquatic vehicle.

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Here's the 0-G stormtrooper for D6. I'm sure you can find some nice converter system if the official stats aren't posted yet.

Zero-G Stormtrooper, aka Spacetrooper
    Dex: 3D
    Blaster 4D, Brawling Parry 5D, Dodge 4D, Grenade 5D, Missile Weapons 5D
    Kno: 2D
    Survival 5D+1
    Mec: 3D
    Astrogation 4D+2, Powersuit op:Spacetrooper armor 6d, repulsorlift op 5D+2, Space Transports 5D+2, Starship Gunnery 4D, Gunnery: Proton Torpedo launcher 5D+2
    Per: 2D+2
    Search 5D+2
    Str: 2D
    Brawling 3D, Stamina 4D
    Tec: 2D
    Demolition 3D+1, Security 4D+1, Powersuit repair 4D+1
    Skillpoints 0-3
    Move 11
    Equipment: 0-G spacetrooper armor

Spacetrooper Armor
    Model: Imperial Zero-G Assault Stormtrooper Armor Mark I
    Type: Personal
    Scale: Character
    Skill: Powersuit operation: Spacetrooper armor
    Cost: Not Available for sale
    Availability: X
    Basic suit provides +4d physical, +3D energy, but reduces dex&related skills by 1D. Has 4 hours of power & 10 of Oxygen. Space movement of 1 (0D+2). In regular gravity, move is 8. Suit outfitted with magnetic couplers.
    Grenade Laucher: uses missile weapon skill
    Concussion Grenades: Ammo-30, Blast Radius: 0-2/4/6/10 Damage: 5D/4D/3D/2D
    Stun Gas Grenades (As above, but stunn damage)
    Mini Proton Torpedo Launcher: Uses starship gunnery skill
    Ammo: 6, Damage 6D(starfighter)
    Blaster Cannon: Uses blaster skill, 6D damage
    Laser cutters: 0.3 meter range, 3D damage (starfighter scale)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.