main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

torture in the republic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jawas_Poodoo, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawas_Poodoo

Jawas_Poodoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    Did the Republic ever resort to torture in their interrogations of enemy captives?

Did the wide spread corruption and decay of the Old Republic , particularly during the reign of Chancellor Palpatine, lead to the torture of Separitist captives? Were the watchful eyes of the Jedi enough to ensure the humane treatment of sentient prisoners?

In the wanning days of the New Republic, with the idealism of the Rebellion long forgotten in the face of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, was torture used on Peace Brgadiers to reveal enemy troop movement and base locations? Certainly torturing a Vong would be useless. They would view it as comforting, if anything. Maybe forcing them to watch holos of cute baby Ewoks all day would make them talk?

-The Jawa Jedi

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Well, we have seen torture in the OR, during the Clone Wars---Triple Zero and Shatterpoint come to mind, though I guess the torturers weren't exactly sterling examples of good citizens of the Republic. But I have the feeling that some of the more zealous Judicials and clones (the ones that would make good Imperials...) may have done it too.

I don't doubt that there was a small amount torture in the NR too, though not not nearly as much as in the Empire. The Vong War brought out the worst in people, on both sides.

3. Commander_Kayman

Commander_Kayman Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2006
    If you look at Kotor, both sides seem to torture their prisoners in one way or another. I think that even the rebels do it. We all see the rebels as if they are so 'light side'. But if you analyse and compare them with other rebelious fractions on our own world you might consider that the rebels will have to do some nasty stuff to get some imperial information. I finf it hard to believe that the new republic would not be using any torture. How could recistance forces in ww2 get information about german troop movements. They kill, steal, or torture.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

It's reprehensible we never saw it, and how flat a one-sided view can look.

Planet of Twilight is a good book for a down-below perspective on life, with the movie droids---when your holy name doesn't granted you caches of cash, instant flight admissions and ease of societal expenditure.

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well they tested Alpha Red (lol, my name again) on captured Yuuzhan Vong. That probably goes along the same lines.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    There was that torture/slow and painful death in Han Solo at Star's End. It's been ages since I have read that book, but I think that toture/death process was called "the burning". From what I can remember of it, it involved lasers slowly burning away the limbs, and then the rest of the body until they got what information they wanted, or until the person was dead.

7. OdeSSa15

OdeSSa15 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    Whatever happened to a drum of oil and a CD case?

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    There was Jedi-sanctioned torture in RC-TZ. Granted, that Jedi wasn't exactly an exemplary one to begin with, but it's there.

9. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Actually that "Jedi" (and using the term in its losest possible sense) who dethroned Barriss as #1 worst Jedi ever

10. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Heh-- the rebels were hardly the bunch of starry-eyed idealists everyone makes them out to be. Starry-eyed hypocrites, maybe.

For all their posturing, it's leaders-- Mothma, Organa Solo, and the rest-- didn't even believe in democracy.

So yeah, I'm sure torture was used aplenty by the rebels, and the New Republic that they turned into.

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    [face_devil] I reckon there may have been sessions under truth serum but as for toirture even the Jedi would have realised that it actually makes people make FALSE satements just for the torture to stop.

IMHO nothing can beat Palpatine's torture as descirbed in Darksaber, he makes no bones about it, he actually KILLS someone again and again.

12. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I heart KJA.

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Do you mind if I smite your for your blasphemy? ;)

14. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I... don't know what came over me. Smite away.

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    *smites 000 with plastic lightsaber*

Well we know in some cases in theOld Republic torture was used even though it wasn't sanctioned or even liked *cough* Depa *cough*

Perhaps they only LIKED to think that they were above such things when in fact there were some rather dirty deeds that went on behind closed doors.

16. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Ow. Okay, now I feel better.

17. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Didn't the Jedi sanction torture in DN on Alema, Tahiri and the other joiners and a few killiks as well...

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    It wasn't torture, was it? I thought they analysed their brains.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    They discussed torture, but didn't actually apply it, IIRC.

Then again, I'm doing my best to scrub my brain of any leftover crud from the DN trilogy. :p

"Didn't even believe in democracy">..which certainly explains why the NR has an immensely powerful senate. Yup. Sure does.:rolleyes:

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

There's nothing wrong with torture. Show it, and enrich your story with the outcome.

I can't abide sunshine daisies.

21. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    which certainly explains why the NR has an immensely powerful senate.

Having a Senate has nothing to do with democracy. You can be a democracy without a Senate, and you can be something other than a democracy WITH a Senate.

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    But in the NR, the Senate quite clearly calls the shots. Remembering them effectively stalling the counteroffensive in the NJO?

A strong legislature is a feature of most democracies, and the NR has always had a strong legislature-after it was reinstated.

Tell me, how does "it's leader's don't even believe in democracy" jibe with "all of them willingly gave up power."

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    There are multi-party general elections, the best way to tell a real democracy from a flase one.

"Actually that "Jedi" (and using the term in its losest possible sense) who dethroned Barriss as #1 worst Jedi ever "

Um...Anakin...Kun...any Jedi that ecame a Sith..

24. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    No, there was torture in Dark Nest I believe.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I just remembered that this novel took place in the Corporate Sector, so I guess it doesn't count.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.