main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Torture throughout the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by FogeyKenobi, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    Is there any correlation between the torture of Shmi Skywalker at the hands of the Tusken raiders and the subsequent use of this activity by Vader in ANH (Leia)and ESB (Han). It would seem that Anakin would be loathe to use these types of tactics after the death of his mother.

Just a thought as I watched AOTC last night.

2. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I think it would have to do with what point Anakin was at in his life. What I mean by that is, when his mother died in his arms, he was still human, While he acted out of anger, I think he honestly did regret what he had done.This might have been his first real example of death, It must have been ten times worse since it was someone so close to him, and there was nothing that he could have done to prevent it. When Anakin turned to the Darkside, and became Darth Vader

Hes more Machine than man now, twisted and evil

How much of the Orginal Anakin was actually left? He stood there and watched as an entire planet was blown to pieces, watched as thousands were killed, and didn't seem bothered at all. By the time all this had happened, I would think that Vader had seen and done so many terrible things, that it really didn't bother him at all.

3. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I think that at this point Darth Vader had locked all the memories from his days as Anakin at the very back of his mind. They would have been a weakness for him.

4. Ashton_Knight

Ashton_Knight Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2002
    It's like DarthKarde said, Anakin is essnetially "gone". When Han gets zapped with electricity on Bespin and Leig gets interrogated on the Death Star, Vader's wearing the pants, so to speak.

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Or perhaps he remembers, which is precisely why he does it - his way of getting revenge. He's probably thinking, "Now it's my turn."

6. MasterTravis

MasterTravis Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2003
    he tortured Han in ESB was done to get Luke's attention, the same way the torture of shami got his very own attention in AOTC

Leia was being tortured to get the location of the Rebel's hiddin base,

come on people this isn't that hard

7. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, there could also be the possibility that Vader is acting precisely as Anakin would not have wanted to act because he wants to prove (to himself) that he isn't the same person (with the same weaknesses?) anymore. That happens sometimes.

Aunecah

8. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    Darth Vader is completly turned to the Darkside in ANH.

He stands by as a planet is destroyed

He kills Obi

He tortures his daughter

He tries to kill his son

These aren't the actions of Anakin, only when he met his son did he start to remember.

9. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    So it would seem that the torture/death of Shmi started Anakin down the darkside path and then it was the torture/imminent death of his son that turned him back...

From a certain point of view of course.

10. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Wow. Good point. :cool:

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    senseless_apprentice: If you were referring to my post: Yes, I am quite aware that he is completely turned to the Dark Side in EpIV. However, that does not mean that Vader simply forgets everything that happened in the previous twenty+ years of his life.

Aunecah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.