main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOS answers an AOTC/EU possible glitch(No spoilers from what isnt off a poster)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ReaperFett, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    If it is forbidden for the Jedi to marry, then how does one explain Nomi Sunrider?

Nomi Sunrider is a Jedi of old, predating the current Jedi Code. Back then, thousands of years ago, one can find examples of Jedi behavior that would be forbidden in modern times. The great Master Arca Jeth trained no less than three Padawans - Ulic Qel-Droma, Cay Qel-Droma and Tott Doneeta. The current Code did away with multiple apprentices to better guide a young Padawan's path in the Force.

The Code has again changed to adapt to necessity. The new Jedi order started up by Luke Skywalker has done away with certain restrictions of previous generations.

Think that answers it

2. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    The main problem was not explaining away Nomi Sunrider, but Ki Adi Mundi, a member of the Jedi Council in TPM who is/was supposedly married.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, but that doesn't answer the question for the jedi that are said to be married during prequel times.

4. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Okay, here's the real glitch in the EU. In Dark Empire (by Tom Veitch), the holocron dates the great Sith War (i.e., Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma, Nomi Sunrider, etc.) as taking place 1000 years earlier. However, in Tales of the Jedi (also by Tom Veitch), the Sith War is described as taking place 4,000 years before the birth of Luke Skywalker. How is that supposed to make sense? We can't blame it on authors not talking to each other, because they're from the same author! Does this mean that the holocron can't keep track of time?

5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Pretty sure you're wrong about that. Can you give me a quote from the comic?

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It says 4000 years ago in the DE essay, in the back of DE.

7. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Sep 26, 2001
    Go to Timetales and check out the Radio drama script. Pretty sure that the holocron gives the wrong date. Of course, I could be dead wrong, and feel like quite the idiot. If that is the case, you have my permission to castrate me with a butter knife and give me papercuts on my eyeballs.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    No problem you read it wrong, boda baas made the holocron 600 years before, and was just writing down the history. His ancestor vodo-siosk baas lived 4000 years before and was the one who trained exar kun.

The holocron was in the possesion of one ashka boda before palpatine got the holocron from him. No idea if he was a decendent of or named after boda baas.

9. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    The radio drama script for DE or TPM? The TPM radio drama script at Timetales is fan fiction. If it says 1000 years in the DE script, it might just be a typo by the transcripter.

10. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Well remember thoses movie fanatics, and how the EU is "not canon"

11. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Sep 26, 2001
    And I quote:
    "BODO: For you, Bodo Baas will speak a prophecy written 1,000 years before your time, by my own master:

?A brother and sister, born to walk the sky.
    But reckless brother falls into Dark Side?s eye.
    Jedi sister carries hope for future in her womb.
    Only she can save her brother from a certain doom.

A Jedi killer wants to tame her.
    Now the Dark Side comes to claim her.
    She must join with her brother to combat this thief,
    Before the Jedi come to grief.?"
    Bodo speaks of a prophecy by his own master from 1,000 years ago, yet he died 4,000 years ago. It doesn't add up.

edit: well, I guess that answers my question. Castrate me with a butter knife, but I feel sheepish.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Boda Baa's master was not voda-siosk baas, but some as of yet unknown jedi(unless the DE sourcebook mentions the master's name).

Vodo-siosk baas was exar kun's master, as as I remember was killed at the end of the story.

The said prophecy was made 1000 years ago(around the time of the battle of ruusan), by whoever boda baa's master was. Which also means that both leia, and luke and anakin were all chosen of prophecy.

Kyle katarn also got a prophecy at that time.

All the math adds up just fine.

13. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Sep 26, 2001
    Thanks, Val. That was puzzling me. My hazy memory must have gotten them confused. Only one more question: Who's spirit was it that appeared in the Jedi Academy Trilogy when they all destroyed the spirit of Exar Kun? Was it Vodo or Bodo? I get them confused. I haven't read it in a while, either, so that might also contribute to my confusion.

14. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Having the Jedi change their Code all the time sort of undermines them, IMO. But whatever. Still doesn't explain the coneheaded one.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    yes, or horns, or salusars, or few other mentioned jedi families of the prequal times.

16. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Well the key to answering all of this is easy you guys... according to the Jedi Code, you can MARRY 'em but you can't LOVE 'em. 8-}

Sure Ki-adi-mundi is married but whens the last time you saw the guy smiling?

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Wyl...
    The other fix is that you merely assume that prophecy meant the TOTJ events. For all we know, the holocron could be talking about events 1,000 years prior to Luke which parallel TOTJ 4,000 year events. After all, Ulic, Exar and Nomi aren't named in that specific instance. :D

18. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Sep 26, 2001
    Actually Genghis, what concerned me was not so much the text of the prophecy itself (that didn't really paralell TOTJ very much, anyway), but rather the time frame when the prophecy was made and the jedi who made it. As Valiento pointed out, my assumptions about who made the prophecy were mistaken, and thus my concerns are satisfied.

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    That prophecy is about brother and sister and baby. Luke, Leia, and anakin.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, judging by the Forbidden Love trailer, I got the impression that Padme was just mistaken regarding her understanding of the jedi ways. If she was correct however, there are a couple things that could explain the Jedi that have married. Ki-Adi Mundi's society apparently has very few male births, so he could have married out of duty and loyalty to his own people and their society. As for Horn...well, he's corellian, I don't expect all the rules to apply to him::)

As for Nomi, etc, it's been explained that the Jedi have altered their ways slightly over the past 4,000 years (which is logical, I doubt many organizations would remain identical over such a long period of time). And since the events of the Sith War were what lead to the formation of the Jedi Council, that is probably when things such as the number of apprentices a master could train at once started to change as well.

As to the Jedi changing their ways harming their overall appeal/impact froma storytelling POV, i don't think it does, again, it's only logical. The ways of the Jedi failed them partially and caused the Sith War. So, they changed their ways to attempt to prevent the same from happening again. The prequel-era Jedi Order's ways eventually failed them (although one could argue it was more the republics fault if anything), so Luke changed their ways as well.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Ki-Adi-Mundi is easily explained. Cereans have a very low male birth ratio, so he is invaluable to their gene pool.

As for other Jedi who were married in the prequel era (Nejaa Halcyon, Ranik Solusar and Morgan Katarn), they may have just been "Rogue Jedi" who did not follow the Code verbatim, but were still defenders of peace and justice in the galaxy.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ki could end up to be a problem if some commment says he's not married in the movie, or if he himself says I as a jedi do not marry.

as for morgan katarn, he's was never a jedi as far as I know. Just had force sensitive heritage.

23. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    It's only a problem if he speaks of himself though. General jedi would still exclude him

24. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Well Corellian Jedi are known to be somewhat rogueish anyway. So, Nejaa's easy enough to explain...

It's the Storms and the Solusar we need to figure out.

25. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    So the Code is just a loosely enforced group of guidelines that are followed if convenient and thrown out if you have an excuse. I'm sure that's what Lucas had in mind.

Star Wars is a work in progress. there are errors in the films and there are errors in the EU. That's not the point. It might be fun to try to come up with fixes for these things but in the end it only undermines the original vision of everyone involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.