main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOS answers an AOTC/EU possible glitch(No spoilers from what isnt off a poster)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ReaperFett, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    we are looking at about 4 families. Thousands of Jedi, and we may have so few.

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    How is the Jedi line supposed to continue without marriage and having legitimate children?

So, all Jedi are either from non-Jedi force sensitive families or are all illegitimate! That sounds silly. Jedi must reproduce to survive... thus they must marry. So, I kinda find the new rule silly.

3. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    If marriage is forbidden, then IMO Ki Adi Mundi being married AND chosen for the council is a serious problem. I find it hard to believe that the a Jedi, no matter how wise or gifted, would be chosen for the council if he is blatantly ignoring part of the code, no matter how good his reason is. The Council members would be seen as Jedi role models, and one of them being married would be probably not be a good idea.

4. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm still hoping that the rule will only apply to padawans because they don't have full control of their abilities and emotions yet.

The no marriage rule would make some OT lines a little obscure. For example, "The Force is strong in my family..." makes no sense unless it's a quasi-commonly accepted notion that Force ability is hereditary and passed on in families.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    PadmeBra, there are no errors in the EU whatsoever. Thinking that there are is one of the many misconceptions that some people have.

6. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    The EU does have errors. Its not perfect, nothing is. Its just that the bulk of the errors have been fixed very nicely.

7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Merkurian reads Bib's last post.
    *slaps forehead*

...and just when I thought we were going to have a non-confrontational thread about the movies and EU...

8. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    Do I sense sarcasm, Bib? ;)

9. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    OHH, I get it now. Don't I look like a fool?

10. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    So I take it none of you thought my explanation was valid? 8-}

11. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "How is the Jedi line supposed to continue without marriage and having legitimate children? "

How could the Jedi maintain a head count of 10,000 if they bred (yes, I'm using EU numbers for the sake of arguement ;))?

The Jedi apparently depend on new Force sensitives cropping up around the galaxy to keep their numbers stable. They obviously find enough new Force users to replace the Jedi who die. If they married and had kids, it'd be a mess. For one thing, a padawan has to be separated from their parents. That'd be pretty hard if the lived in the Jedi temple with the parents. The sheer math doesn't work either. If the Jedi bred, in a thousand years they'd have enough Jedi to populate a small planet. This is obviously not desireable. It would also mess up the one to one master/padawan relationship. Soon there'd be way too many padawans and not enough masters. It goes on and on. It makes sense to me. :)

12. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    So you'd say that if they came from a planet with few men, you'd not let them in, because it is vital they breed? How unfair :)

13. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I believe in Rogue Planet there was a Jedi that took time of from being a Jedi to have children and to raise them. She even told the council that they should all do so.

14. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Then she left the order completly.

15. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Then she would be one of the Lost 20. ;)

Quote:
    "So you'd say that if they came from a planet with few men, you'd not let them in, because it is vital they breed? How unfair"

Hey, the code's the code. Let him 'donate' in the unlikely event that he's needed to breed.

That's quite a method for fixing errors you got there. Something's stated in a film and y'all say, "except for these guys". Genius. :p

16. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    you mean like how Vader wiped the Jedi out "except for these guys"? ;) :)

17. _Mitthrawnuruodo_

_Mitthrawnuruodo_ Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2001
    Though never clearly explained, we know that the Force is in direct relation to the Midiclourian (sp?) count. If we assume that the Force IS indeed a genetic factor, we have to assume Jedi mating with Jedi would produce a more powerful heir, or at least a much more likely heir.

18. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Do you want the serious answer? The serious answer has been brought up time and again. It's the difference in the eras. The ToTJ era Jedi were allowed to do all kinds of things that the Prequel Era Jedi are forbidden.

19. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    One could look at the history of the catholic church for variation in dogma over the ages.

20. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    So the Code is just a loosely enforced group of guidelines that are followed if convenient and thrown out if you have an excuse. I'm sure that's what Lucas had in mind.

Well, if he has other ideas, he should make his voice heard. His companies are making these references. If there's a problem he doesn't like, he can fix it.

That's why I prefer to think of Qui-Gon as 60 during TPM. Lucas says "fifties" in an interview, but the official reference, the Episode I Insider's Guide CD-ROM says 60.

For me personally, the "higher source" ( George Lucas in this case ) doesn't outweigh the Official Source, unless the Higher Source says something as a prepared statement, and has the Official Source change things to better fit the vision. I know that many fans don't see it this way, preferring to think Lucas as the God of the GFFA, but I find his opinions on various things to not be that important -- although they can affect how I personally view the stories he speaks of, or contradicts.

After reading Dark Empire I and II again recently, I'm starting to not like the idea of Palpatine returning, though my feelings are mixed, because some interesting and good stuff came from it.

PadmeBra, there are no errors in the EU whatsoever. Thinking that there are is one of the many misconceptions that some people have.

I used to think this way...but I see it as personal belief. If one wants to see contradictions, they can. If they want everything to fit together, they can. It depends on "your own point of view"...how you see the stories and everything.

PadmeBra, you have the right idea about why Jedi don't have families. But I think that occasional exception could have been made, in the case of the EU characters we've been talking about. Bib explained Ki-Adi's situation well enough, and Nejaa Halcyon was a Corellian Jedi, who in the book I, Jedi, were said to follow their own path when it came to their Jedi practices. These Jedi likely never made it onto the Council, kind of acting like Qui-Gons running around their own system.

Also, if the occasional exception was made ( let's remember Thracia Cho-Leem in Rogue Planet having multiple husbands ), they probably were judged before the Council before they started anything.

Another point to bring up -- marriage doesn't always imply love. Drew Carrey and Mr. Wich are proof of that. :p

21. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    I thought that only apprentices weren't allowed to marry but knight/masters were since they had proven themselves to be strong and could handle the responsibility of marriage etc.

22. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I think Elegos and Darth Kevin have got it right on the money. My understanding was that it was only the PADAWANS who were not allowed to marry, hence the Ki-Adi Mundi/Neeja Halcyon controversy.

23. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Maybe we are a little off. Maybe the code requires mastery of the Force before allowing marriage, thus only Jedi Master's are allowed to marry due to their enhanced emotional control. Padawans and plain Knights might be forbidden.

24. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Yet the Council frowned on Qui-Gon's relationship with Tahl. Which did in fact lead him to anger after her death.

25. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    The Tahl thing is EU. My comment was regarding the rule that will be set in Ep. II. Yes Qui-Gon was angry, but he is considered an "emotional" Jedi by the Council, that's why he did not make the cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.