main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ToS Clarification] ROTS Forum - Social Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kavic_Toth, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Quixotic-Sith posted on 6/24/05 8:29pm
    This place will never be a democracy, and it's asinine to complain about it being anything other than how Dingo and Jeff have characterized it. It's a privately owned site, which means that there will always be a singular head to the administrative structure.[hr][/blockquote]

So, in that case, it would be pointless to even have a Comms. It would be pointless to even allow the members to speak their minds on this issue.

I'm not saying it's a bad person that one person is in charge. I mean, [b]Sapient[/b] never **** in my cereal, but it was characterized as a dictatorship. There obviously [i]is[/i] corruption in the system, but just because one man is in charge doesen't mean that it [i]has[/i] to be a dictatorship.

2. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    81-

Again, with each and every hostile response, you scuttle the very purpose of Comms.

Communications implies mutual respect; it's not meant to be a "Let me yell at you" forum. If you can't appreciate that, then this isn't the place for you.

3. Admiral-Snackbar-81

Admiral-Snackbar-81 Jedi Youngling star 4

May 23, 2004
    We need an edit button, on aisle 5. Edit button, aisle 5.

I want to see if anyone edits out the fact that they admit the particular form of government body in reign. Stand by your guns, gentlemen. Shoot, I didn't even make the Comm's abbreviation joke tonite!

I hope everyone can see the points i'm making may not be my direct beliefs or feelings, but are merely my way of letting people see another side of things, and MAYBE open their eyes. If anything I've said gets a modder-banner-omg it'z teh democracy! edit/ban, then, lest i remind thee, of the political opponents of the mustachioed man.

I think that everyone has been well worded tonite, even if i think their posts are bunk.

And Mods, I am OPENLY inviting you to PM me a disagreement to my statements. OPEN FORUM, its a good thing. I dont hide behind my monitor cowering. I'd even respect a moderator who conceded a point or had a good view without being everything i've mentioned. If you dont want to be villainized by the users, then don't be villains.

EDIT: And Quix, i have yet to see you say anything polite, nor even back down off any of your beliefs. Maybe comms isnt for you either. LISTENING is key. MAYBE, just MAYBE, if someone is posting in here, then something they're saying has a point, no matter how they word it.

DOUBLE EDIT: I have yet to see a single moderator respect a single post i've made, on comms, or when 3sa was alive. You just said Respect is Mutual........but i have not seen a a single ounce of it. Do unto others as you would have done unto you. That's from the bible. It's kinda a big book, but still an interesting read

4. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    I actually began this discussion quite politely, if you would care to go back and review my posts. It wasn't until the character assassination began of everyone wearing colors that I chose to become less appeasing.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Admiral-Snackbar-81 posted on 6/24/05 8:42pm
    If you dont want to be villainized by the users, then don't be villains.[hr][/blockquote]

Words of a true king.

6. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    If only they weren't so hypocritical, SOME.

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Fine, I don't want to get into a semantic war about what insubordination means.

This sitution has gotten completely blown out of proportion. We are not violating anyone's civil rights here, not even their JC rights. Should this have been dealt with sooner? Probably yes. But we've decided to do it now, and that's what's important. We gave everyone fair warning.

Bottom line, darth_sinister and I asked a thread to:

1. refrain from swearing every post
    2. not post so many moving images
    3. try and keep it decent with the photos

And now people are crying, well what does that MEAN? Use your common sense. I use the general definition of decency. Would you show it to your grandma? If you are unsure about posting an image, PM a mod. It's very hard to have a generalized board-wide policy over acceptable photos. It isn't as if we banned 16 people for posting bad images. We edited some out, and warned those who repeatedly did it by PM. Only one person was actually banned and that also had to do with prior acts on their record.

This is really very simple, and doesn't warrant such drama.

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Quixotic-Sith posted on 6/24/05 8:48pm
    If only they weren't so hypocritical, SOME.[hr][/blockquote]

I'm not saying all mods are villians. Only a few are. Surely you can agree to that, friend.

9. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Like I've said several times, if the ROTS social thread is going to be held to a different standard than a typical thread in other areas of this site(I.E. Hottie Wars, the whole **** inccident, and such), than it would be entirely beneficial for the mods to state the specifics of the thread's rules in the opening post of each new version of the thread.

It should be no problem, as the threads are only allowed to be started by a mod. Warning a few users here and there, is not going to get across to new users(or old users who haven't posted recently) that new rules apply(or old rules are now being enforced).

10. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    SOME:

I certainly agree - as I said above, I don't believe that all mods are angels. I just think that people should also take responsibility for their own conduct and not try to play victim. There are plenty of boards that allow the kind of behavior that went on; we're not one of them. If people can't abide by the laws of the land, they are perfectly free to move.

EDITS: clarity and apostrophes.

11. Admiral-Snackbar-81

May 23, 2004
    And people wonder why I post what i post. I flat out stated if a mod has something to say, gimme an IM. I flat out said, do unto others as you would have done unto you. And flatter outter than the flat outs, remember someone saying respect was mutual

SOMEBODY doesnt want a christmas card this year [face_worried]

And i had JUST posted about villification. Q, I seriously think you want the "admiration" you're receiving here. It's good to know at least, that i'm not the only person who won't post like an angel. See mods, u just as guilty.

Thank you, and goodnite

12. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    I still wonder why you post what you post. You pee in the pool, and then complain when you get called on it. You generalize and make sweeping accusations and hyperbolic comparisons, and then complain when you get called on it. You say we "shouldn't be villains", when you're wearing the black cloak and mustache, yourself.

Don't pretend to be a victim; recognize when your own behavior, or those in question, gets you in trouble and make changes. If you think that's unreasonable, you are perfectly free to post elsewhere. The Net is big - I'm sure you can find a place better suited to your needs.

13. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I agree with you, and if we were to ever start a new thread like this in the future, I'm sure we have learned that the specific rules should be stated as clearly as possible. That is not to say that some of this isn't subjective, but we will do our best. We are trying to do that now in reverse.

edit: clarification.

14. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    "There are plenty of boards that allow the kind of behavior that went on; were not one of them."

I've seen everything that was a bannable post last night including the staring out of naughty words(which is actually requested by mods in the JCC), and questionable pictures(I.E the Hottie Wars in the JCC, and the Hotties of Episode Three thread at ROTS). So please don't act like this is a subject that only applies to one thread, on one board, at this site.

Like I said, if the ROTS social thread is to be held to a different standared than the rest of messegeboard forums at this site, than at least give a proper warning. It wouldn't hurt to have a little more consistancy on what is appropriate among the mods from different boards, isn't that what you have a mod squad for?

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It wouldn't hurt to have a little more consistancy on what is appropriate among the mods from different boards, isn't that what you have a mod squad for?

There's always going to be differences between forums (or even threads) and moderators. It can't go too far, but differences have long been present and probably always will be.

16. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    We try to normalize policy as much as we can; we also recognize that different forums have different communities and environments. YJCC =/= ROTS =/= Saga, etc., which requires leeway and room for error. Attempting to be Napoleonic (i.e., anticipating every possible contingency before it could happen in order to generate a perfect set of rules or code of conduct) is unrealistic.

17. Admiral-Snackbar-81

May 23, 2004
    I still wonder why you post what you post. You pee in the pool, and then complain when you get called on it. You generalize and make sweeping accusations and hyperbolic comparisons, and then complain when you get called on it. You say we "shouldn't be villains", when you're wearing the black cloak and mustache, yourself.

Don't pretend to be a victim; recognize when your own behavior, or those in question, gets you in trouble and make changes. If you think that's unreasonable, you are perfectly free to post elsewhere. The Net is big - I'm sure you can find a place better suited to your needs.[/quote]

And what size is your angel suit? Perfect Circle, Your halo's slipping down to choke you now

Honestly, my cloak got shrunk cuz it got mixed in with my other darks. So now it looks a lil creepier, in a different way.

And I didnt call you out once until you started nitpicking and calling me out, history will show.

U want to know my intentions on posting? it's to defend people who i think are being treated like crap by a bunch of elitist *****'s (i think the word is within TOS but i dont need to give the *****'s reason). I do have a place better suited for my needs. Thanks for asking, and basically saying that if I dont agree with you I'm not welcome. That should go over well as an addendum to TOS.

U wanna know what I wanna know? If 2 moderators dont see anything i'm saying as needing edits, which mods will jump in and do the Ban just to uphold the peace

18. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Never claimed to be an angel, but I do try to make this place better. For the past four years I've tried to make this a fun and civil place, both as a regular user and as a mod (twice, btw). I've lost my temper, posted in anger, and said stupid things, just like everyone else. But then I would make up for it. But that's just me.

I have a different theory as to why you post here, but I'm sure you know that by now. Perhaps you genuinely perceive yourself as a champion of the underdog. Entirely possible, I grant, but I'm doubtful. My impression, from what I've seen here and elsewhere, is that you are doing this because it amuses you to do so. Just my impression; I could be wrong.

And I assume you are referring to the Parrot as your home away from home. It does seem better suited for your purposes. I'm not forcing you to leave, nor do I require everyone who disagrees with me to do so - the JC isn't about me or what I want; I've just been allowed to enforce the rules, which most folks find to be remarkably easy to uphold. But the same holds for you, too - the JC isn't about you or what you want, either. If you genuinely feel that the environment here is not to your liking, you are perfectly free to post elsewhere.

19. Admiral-Snackbar-81

May 23, 2004
    I appreciate the invitation. And I may consider it. Just cuz you want it so much.

I assume you lurk the parrot, as do other moderators. And yeah, I havent ever brought it up, cuz i didnt wanna be like a banner advertisemen, but you're right, Parrot is my preferred forum board. Because there I can state my criticisms and not have someone's lacky jump blindly infront of the bullet. And I can openly state when a mod or admin is being a complete tool there, too. You'd be surprised to know me and Snowball talk large amounts of (poo) at eachother. It isn't a lovefest. It's also not a censored regime (irony in your sig btw).

If you honestly think i'm just here for my amusement, then why am I following TOS and not pushing the envelope? Questioning what i believe as corrupt fools isnt pushing an envelope, you don't see me posting animations of jiggling heinies. If i were here for entertainment, or for the entertainment of the users of another forum, I'd get a screencap and go out in a blaze of glory, as other members have. But gee, just because I'm a member of a group doesnt mean I do the exact same things. Meanwhile, I'm being talked down to by someone, who judging by his upturned nose at my other involvements, would believe all arabs to be terrorists, guilty by association.

And you know what, I am here to defend people. I came back here due to the absolute flaming pile of wombat guano that was the permaban of Snowball, and now I'm back on here because of the moderation team that i so adore being what they is.

And notice I'm not ending this with a word that rhymes with Trucker

20. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Offshoot boards have nothing to do with this discussion, and aren't going to help resolve the issue.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Meanwhile, I'm being talked down to by someone, who judging by his upturned nose at my other involvements, would believe all arabs to be terrorists, guilty by association.

If you knew anything about Quix personally, you'd know mistaken that idea is. Check out his Senate posts sometime.

22. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Apollo-

He brought it up. He seems to be happier there.

81-

I think you're "following" the TOS precisely because you like being able to cause drama and snipe. You wouldn't be able to do so if you were banned. But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

23. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I know, I wasn't pointing fingers at either of you. Just trying to keep the thread from getting offtopic.

24. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Quixotic-Sith posted on 6/24/05 8:56pm
    SOME:

I certainly agree - as I said above, I don't believe that all mods are angels. I just think that people should also take responsibility for their own conduct and not try to play victim. There are plenty of boards that allow the kind of behavior that went on; we're not one of them. If people can't abide by the laws of the land, they are perfectly free to move.[hr][/blockquote]

When you put it like that, I can most certainly agree.

25. Admiral-Snackbar-81

May 23, 2004
    Actually, I wasnt the person who brought up parrot. And its good to know you read my posts apparently as well. I hope you like my title

I think doing something purposely against TOS creates alot more drama and humor than following it. But you know what, I think its good to know I no longer need intentions, cuz you'll give em to me. Just lemme know my reasonings before i go get groceries tomorrow, whether i need more food in my cupboards, I'm hungry, or that i want to rearrange every item in the store and create conflict

well judge me however you want, lets let this thread go back to its topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.