main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOS Question, Help Needed - "Terror From Beyond the Rim"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Genghis12, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    No. You didn't get it.

Isbeth said that the moon could not have hit Sernpidal intact. It would have been torn apart before.

But what happened in the book could indeed really happen under certain conditions. That means Chewie is truly dead.

2. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    There were doubts that Chewie is dead ? They dropped a moon on him. DR often talks about their series shaking things up with the death of Chewbacca. Conditions on Serpindal became such that living beings could not survive there once a dovin basal brought down Serpindal's moon on top of it. End of story.

3. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Thank you Prince Xizor and AnakinSkySolo and MuttandSolo for your intervention and clear cut and understandable answers. I accept your analysis and appreciate your taking time to work through a difficult problem.
    As to Genghis, I never have held any malice towards you, despite your accusing me of doing so, however, you were unconvincing and unclear in your statements which caused me to question your conclusions. They have been reinforced by three different folks and I have no choice but to abide by them. I especailly appreciate AnakinSkySolo for taking the actual time to calculate the results using the actual information found in Vector Prime using the Roche Limit.
    I had no idea the moon was that small, and I do appeciate your taking time to recheck your answer to be sure it was correct.
    Genghis, for your information, I have a B.S. from Medaille College in Buffalo, NY and A M.S. Ed from State University College Of New York at Buffalo. My study concentrations were geology and astronomy.
    I am currently director of Berkeley County Planetarium where I also teach astronomy.
    What a wonderful lesson in teamwork and analysis this has been! I am sure everyone has learned a lot and I am happy this arguement was settled in such an agreeable matter.
    All's well that ends on such a positive
    note!

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    In the future, Isbeth, I do hope you realize a lot of wasted time on everyone's part could be better spent on actually discussing things instead of jumping in the way you did on page 2. It will save you a lot of embaressment in the future.

I don't fault anyone from questioning statements - because that's the way people learn. However, what you did wasn't questioning, but purely an ad hominem attack on a number of people in this thread, including myself. Those generally waste everyone's time, especially when the basis for the attacks are quite simply flat-out wrong as they were in your case.

My conclusions weren't unclear or unconvincing, I can cite where I made very clear statements. After all, there were a number of others who saw them very clearly - ranging from the lack of astronomy experience all the up to astrophysics and some rather experienced astonomers. But, of course I'm not going to argue that point, obviously you were unclear and unconvinced about them. Hopefully, you are clear on things now. Isbeth, the next time you talk to Dr. Jay, you should take time to thank him personally. He restored my faith in astronomers which had been on rather shaky ground this past week.

All I can hope is that you have learned a little bit more about something you love. In the future, we all can have more positive discussions when people keep the attacks out of it. :) Anytime you wish to know more about the subject, I'd be happy to discuss them with you. After all, I've done so in the past to help you learn about things.

I think that above everything else, it's great that we all can come here and discuss the relevancy of Star Wars to our own pet interests, hobbies and jobs.

So, now is it time to move on to Step 2 of Dajames' plan?

5. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum... It was quite lost deep in the discussion about the Roche limit, I think...

Well, since they gave us Holonet News, I don't have the heart to flood their Ask the JC with 'which books are you referring to when bla bla bla'... Love LFL ! [face_love]

6. DaJames2

Jan 17, 2002
    So have they told us anything about Holonet News ? I mean, like did they put a notice on TOS telling us what it is, where they plan to take it, that sort of thing ? I'm curious, it's not like LFL to (albeit, pleasantly) surprise us like this.

If they are planning to go chronologically through the timeline, we probably won't even get to the Nagai/Tofs issue for a while. However, if Holonet News does tell us that the Nagai/Tofs do not come from another galaxy, then will that be the final word in the minds of the people ? (Geneghis, you know i'm really talking about you ;) )

7. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    "I'm curious, it's not like LFL to (albeit, pleasantly) surprise us like this."

That must've been the most well kept secret, and represents an infinite coolness. We very much appreciate the surprise, thanks everyone at LFL.

And I don't know really how HNN is gonna work in the future, and if that kind of info will be available there. I guess we'll have to wait for a few days to see.

But again, this is definitively very very cool !

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    DaJames...
    "However, if Holonet News does tell us that the Nagai/Tofs do not come from another galaxy, then will that be the final word in the minds of the people ?"

It should be at least until the original stories get republished probably early next year. :D

9. DaJames2

Jan 17, 2002
    One and all beware ! the mind of the wily Genghis specimen is not easily changed ;)

But then you knew that already :( :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.