main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Touching My "Aussie Soap Appreciation" Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DANNASUK, Feb 4, 2018.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Neighbours, Home & Away, Shortland Street (well, that's Kiwi) were all great memories from glorious British lunch time and evening television.

[​IMG]

5pm, BBC 1, was when Neighbours ran supreme (was shown earlier at 1pm, but that was for the unemployed); What a wonderful way to spend the evening after a busy day at work or school. I was more of a Neigbours boy than Home & Away.

Why you ask? Simple:

Lassiters square, statistically speaking, is the most dangerous spot on the face of the Earth; it has been subjected to several murders, hit and runs, arson, explosions than anywhere else in the world. HEAR THAT SYRAI!?! YOU AIN'T GOT **** ON LASSITERS!!

And nobody, ever, has a perfect wedding in Neighbours. Someone usually dies.

[​IMG]

Shortland Street was based around a hospital, which suffers more abuse and scandals than your local NHS hospital. But, of course, there is Home & Away aka When Should Teenagers Have Sex? Australians seem to be the most sexual active people in the world.

Every time I catch a glimpse, some guy has his shirt off and is about to make out with someone...

bow chicka wow wow

[​IMG]

As Ender would proudly say, Aussie soap operas are a work of art!

*wipes a tear from his eye*

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Bow down to the god of **** and his two golden balls that is Australian soap.

@Murica's movie goers, do you have any idea of how much gratitude you owe this fine institution?

Diggy likes this.
  3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The closing theme song to Home & Away would always be playing before whatever I turned on the telly to watch would begin. Doesn't matter what I was tuning in to. Home & Away would somehow be airing before it, like an entity stuck in a temporal paradox, destined never to be watched, but always to provide that traditional jingle that rests your heart in the warm embrace of familiarity and comfort, and the anticipation that the thing you came to watch, whatever it is, will begin after these messages from our sponsors.

Home and awaaaayyyy

[​IMG]

DANNASUK likes this.
  4. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    seriously watched neighbors for years loved margot robbie on it. but yes i will not admit this fact in a non online setting

5. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Paul Robinson AKA The Dark Lord of Australian Soaps

[​IMG]

6. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Australian soap theme tunes are some next level shizzle. True students of the game can trace this back to even before those bangers laid down by Neighbours and Home and Away

Ladies and gentlemen, for your listening pleasure, here is the theme from the classic 80's Aussie female prison-based soap opera Cell block H.

Pro tip: For maximum pleasure, in your mind, substitute the word roses, with the word penis.

7. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    have you watched the remake wentworth?

8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh my. I remember watching repeats of it several years ago.

It was called Caged Women in Canada lol

Darth Punk likes this.
  9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    @bizzbizz no. My philosophy is, when you reach perfection, stop.

EDIT: I bet the new version doesn't have a character called "vinegar tits" does it?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    We all remember this and we all cried.

Darth Punk likes this.
  11. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    haven't actually watched it but it gets pretty hyped up over here on foxtel

Darth Punk likes this.
  12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
  13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I've heard my tales about McLeod's Daughters

Home & Away use to have the worse special effects, which made them so damn entertaining. Do you remember the gas explosion at the wedding? YouTuber's have better effects than that lol

15. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    All I know is when Seth Rogen’s movie, ‘Neighbors’ came out in Australia, they had to change the title to ‘Bad Neighbors’ because of that one show that was always on tv.

I don’t think Margot Robbie was still on the show in 2016, otherwise maybe I’d have watched it.

16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    completely unnecessary to change the title, as anyone that matters would know that the aussie soap had the correctly spelt title.

Ender Sai and DANNASUK like this.
  17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    ...Yanks ruining the English language.

Speaking of Neighbours, remember when Jim died and knocked all the oranges on top of his self? A tragic scene became utterly hilarious.

Darth Punk likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I find that Dove's formulation avoids excessive skin damage. I wasn't aware Australian companies were a very big player in this market.

DANNASUK and heels1785 like this.
  19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It is quite possible I love you after that post lol

20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
  21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Honestly I've never watched an episode of either Neighbours or Home & Away. But my best mate is one of you lot - from Pompey, so good in a brawl, and handy with a knife - and she actually went and visited sets for both when she first moved here. Unironically too.

Imagine if Danny Dyer starred on one of them. Just for some reason popped up in Neighbours. We'd have rebirthed the Empire and removed the need for America entirely!

Darth Punk likes this.
  22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    She'd be perfect for Neighbours

No. Just no.

"My name...is Danny Dyer and I believe in UFO's" - that is legit show in the UK, Ender.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I know - and I mean, he's trash and so are soaps...match made in chav heaven.

He's legitimately also the worst part about Very British Problems.

Also not to criticise but did we miss an opportunity to make a dropping the soap joke?

24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Chavs don't watch soaps. It is culture and they don't understand it.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They do here.