main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tough Enough (Han Solo at ten years old - Vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by obaona, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    :D Thanks for clicking! Even lurkers! ;) :p

I wrote this story down by hand, at first, and its the first time in a while I had to do that (stupid computer wasn't hooked up!), so this may or may not be . . . up to standards. ;)

Title: Tough Enough

Rating: PG (Han had a tough childhood)

Summary: Han Solo at the age of ten. ;) 'Nuff said.

Feedback: Please. :) Especially as this is my first attempt at this character. :)

Space was cold.

Han, however, couldn?t quite understand why the ship couldn't be warmer. Logically, no matter what, a ship with sentient, humanoid beings will need a certain amount of energy to get heat. And in the utter cold of space, and the searing heat of the stars, he didn't see what big difference it made in energy that it had to be twenty degrees colder than comfortable, and the rest of the ship. It didn't take that much energy.

Of course, Shrike could have deliberately made this hold colder than the other holds, or the rest of the ship. But he rather doubted that Shrike, the mean dump of Hutt poodoo, would ever bother that much with a ten year old Han Solo. He rather suspected he was more of an amusing distraction for the smuggler captain. He didn't like that idea at all. Shrike was known for his temper ? someday he might get tired of Han.

Regardless, that still left the question of why it was colder here than the rest of the ship. Damn convenient, too, that the heat converter was apparently not working, or that someone had decided not to fix it ? on Shrike's dear ship. And that Shrike had known about it, and decided that throwing Han into a hold was a good punishment for his daring.

He would wondered if Shrike thought this kind of treatment would break him.

It was, of course, miserably cold, and he was only wearing a pair of pants that had so many patches and tears it seemed to consist of that alone. His back stung from the bloody stripes on his back, given by Shrike's belt. Beneath that was the duller pain of dark bruising from the rest of the beating. His split lip throbbed painfully, and he carefully ran his tongue over it, wincing at the stinging pain that resulted. The hidden smuggler hold, normally full of illegal merchandise but currently empty, was also too dark for him to check his injuries visually.

Dewlanna would hopefully be able to help him with that. He hated it when Dewlanna intervened between Shrike and him ? as she often did ? but there was little he could do to convince the Wookiee to stop, and he knew that Shrike didn't care if she gave him medical treatment. Thankfully Dewlanna had not been here for this.

Wookiees were extremely brave, honorable creatures, and she had decided to take Han under her protection, no matter the cost. And there was a cost ? Dewlanna owed Shrike a debt of some kind, though exactly what he didn't know. And Shrike only tolerated her morals to a certain extent. Han feared her bravery and recklessness ? her affection for him ? would one day lead to her death. He hoped that he wouldn't be the cause of it.

What Han had done to receive the beating wasn't so horrible, anyway. Shrike just hated to be crossed, especially by a stupid ten year old human boy. And it was definitely stupid, Han admitted mentally. Shrike had other children, like Han, aboard his ship. He used them for various schemes that a child could get away with and an adult couldn't. One of those ways was having the children go on the streets and beg for money; it was a steady, if small, income that Shrike could depend on. Trying to hide part of the take of such an expedition hadn't been wise.

Han should have known better. Han Solo was a survivor, and stupidity was a number one killer. Shrike had gotten the better of him, and would probably continue to do so for some time. But Han knew he was tough enough to take it, and he would learn from it.

Break him? It would never happen.

Han pulled his knees up to his chest, trying to conserve what little he

2. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Cool! I get first reply 8-}

That was 'real good'. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks! :D

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hey Oba!

That was good - a nice picture of how Han came to be the way he is. It would be just like Han to live only to spite someone.

What I really liked, though, was the idea of a nasty Wookiee. Everything I've ever read has portrayed them all as honourable and gentle, with no thought to the fact there had to have been at least one bad seed in the bunch. I had never thought what one could be like - and I would have to imagine that a Wookiee with a mean streak would be a hell of a nasty customer.

Thanks for providing me with some new thoughts! Great work as always!

Shaindl

4. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    crystalrain: Thanks! :D

Shaindl: I think you misunderstood - Dewlanna is a good Wookiee, Shrike is a human being. ;) :p The characters weren't made up by me, they were made up by A. C. Crispin, who wrote the Han Solo trilogy. Anyway - thanks a lot! :)

5. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    oba dear! What a nice viggie! I liked Han's determination to survive, to be a legend.

Great job. *hugs* :)

6. Linari_Tanis

Linari_Tanis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2002
    Master!!! You didn't tell me you were writting another story!!! :_| I feel so unloved!!! *sniffles* If you even care I thought it was wonderful...

7. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Of such inconsequential beginnings, dynasties are born...

This was truly an awe-worthy (not to mention aww-worthy) story. The images were concise--I especially loved the description of Han's pants, and you painted the perfect picture when you described him begging for food--and the prose was light and straightforward.

Even better, it provided an origin of Han's determination to survive and his attitude toward living.

Or I could just say, "I loved it." :D

8. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Oba,

You're right - I misunderstood. It's not stated anywhere that Shrike is human, so I guess I assumed - because I recognised Dewlanna as a Wookiee name - that he was too. Still, you gave me a new thought - and all good writers should make their readers think in new ways. So thanks again!

Shaindl

9. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Jedi_Suzuran: *hugs* :D Thank you!

Linari_Tanis: We worked it out by IM. *waves all spectators away* :) And thanks, Padawan. ;)

Lady_Moonbeam: Have you read A. C. Crispin's trilogy? I highly recommend it - I got Dewlanna, Shrike, and Han's situation from there. :) And thanks! [face_blush]

Shaindl: No problem. :p I've also added that Shrike is human, in my copy on my comp. ;) :)

10. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Hey! Someone's been busy writing lately! Awesome postie on TWE, and now a new fic!!

Christmast come early! :D

You've got the characterisation down pat - for Han, Dewlanna and Shrike. And it fits perfectly - the beginning and background of why Han is like he is.

Great work, Oh Great Masterful B--

:p

*runs*

11. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    wow...that was a very touching piece. you portrayed him very well I think. he's exactly how i picture a ten year old han to think and act.

12. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    I think you did a good job with a young Han. I remember the Han Solo trilogy and I think it fits in well.

13. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    KatarnLead: Thank you. And *smack* for what you almost said. ;) Did you really think I'd let that go? *hugs* ;)

RogueSticks: Thank you. :)

Phoenix_Reborn: Thank you! I loved that trilogy. Though I had to check to remember Dewlanna's name. :p

14. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
  15. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
  16. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003
    I liked the ending...........

:D

Well done Lady Obaona!

17. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    Wonderful, wonderful Oba!!

Nice snapshot of Han, :)

_PSK_

18. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Dangit, I forget to reply. :p And of course I realize that only now . . .

Agent_Jaid and PSK: Thank you!! :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.