main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tournament: Greatest Episodes of Science Fiction and Fantasy Television - Tapestry Wins!!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Son of the Suns, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Tapestry

2. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Tapestry ftw!

The Body was a pretty good episode, but it barely even cracks my top ten favorite episodes of Buffy... which, incidentally, probably doesn't even crack my top ten favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV shows. I'm no Buffy hater. Far from it. I love the show, but it's not that good, IMO.

3. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    ST:TNG Tapestry-- What more can I say? If you've never seen this episode (and have no plans to) just think about your biggest regret in life, the one thing you would change, and try to see how the rest of your life would be affected by that change. Are you willing to give up some of the things that, for better or worse, make you the person that you are? Could you live with the consequences of that? Tapestry is the kind of story that made the show TNG, despite it's occasional misstep from season to season, truly powerful television

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    What CaptainBinanca said [face_coffee] Plus it cemented the point that Q isn't a villain, he's just a ****!

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
  6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    [face_dancing]

=D=

So whats next? [face_thinking] :p

7. CaptainBinaca

Jul 15, 2005
    How about that SF/F films tourney?

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Maybe we could have the catagories be the actual catagories. Things like: Alternate Universe, Comedy, Time Paradox, Big Bada Boom (aka epic battles), Head Trip, Lost in Space (aka disasters), Dastardly Villain, Cliffhangers.

These are just a few catagories that come to mind...

9. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    This will most likely be the next topic. We can battle around some ideas in here and then we'll have a nominations thread up so that we can get going.

:)

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    so will there be more movies in the tournament then tv shows from the previous tournament? since there are a lot more movies out there

11. CaptainBinaca

Jul 15, 2005
    Between Star Wars, Trek, Alien, LotR and Potter that's already almost 30. Granted, not all of them are great but you have to have some canon fodder for the heavy hitters. Once you start including all the classics from the 40's and 50's with the break-thru stuff of the past 20 years you'd have way more than 64. Love the idea of catergories too for future TV or film tourney

12. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    This might sound a tad blasphemous to some of you, but maybe we shouldn't include the Star Wars movies in the upcoming tournament. This being a SW message board, I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that a SW movie (probably ESB) is going to win the thing, so why even go through the motions. In other tournaments, like the ones over in Census, SW is specifically excluded for this very reason. Maybe it should be the same here. Still plenty of great movies out there to choose from without SW.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. and plus since Star Wars isn't really discussed in this forum unless it's comparing it to another movie it'd make sense to not include it in the tournament

14. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Keep discussing ideas in here about the next tournament. After all, this is your tournament so throw around some ideas and we'll see what we come up with for the next tournament.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Should telefilms be counted as possible contenders in a film tournament?

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'd say television movies are okay. Miniseries, maybe not.

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So as far as trilogies or sagas, shall we consider individual movies, or the overall saga? For example, Lord of the Rings vs. Star Trek, or The Two Towers vs. The Wrath of Khan?

EDIT: Also, could we have a Sci-Fi bracket and a Fantasy bracket? Then we could have the Sci-Fi Champ vs. the Fantasy Champ...

18. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I think having two distinct brackets labeled Sci-Fi and Fantasy is brilliant. Definitely something we should implement in the next tournament.

As far as trilogies and so forth, I say treat every film individually. Meaning (depending on the nomination process) we could have all three LotR films or all four of the Harry Potter films. Treat each like its own film and don't even worry about trilogies and such. You like Matrix: Revolutions? Then you can nominate it without having to nominate the other two Matrix movies.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i like the idea of having a fantasy and sci-fi bracket as well. when can we expect the nomination period for this next tourney to start?

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Great to see Tapestry win this thing. It would've been a complete nonsense had Buffy won.

21. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Glad to see how this ended up. :)

And a movie tourny would be quite fun. Splitting Sci-fi and Fantasy up would be interesting, especially since there are just so many films out there. Hopefully more people will participate.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i think more people would turn out for the movie tourney because more people probably follow them than the TV shows

23. CaptainBinaca

Jul 15, 2005
    Which category would the superhero films be placed? I'm thinking fantasy but films like the X-men series and superman and spiderman could almost go either way.

Edit: another thought, since there are the two brackets, SF and Fantasy, can we submit separate lists of noms for both?

24. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Another catagory idea: Butterfly Effect. Basically those episodes that have incredibly far-reaching ramifications for the remainder of the series (even beyond). We could rule out any pilot episodes because they are by definition far-reaching.

25. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Its one of my favorites. The eps about Picards personal life are great. Inner Light is another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.