main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tournament: Greatest movies of the Sci-Fi / Fantasy Genre (WINNER ANNOUNCED!)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWan506, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    A couple of thoughts...

1) So each bracket has five battles right? So what happens when there's only 5 movies left in the bracket? Do all five square off with each other or do you separate them into two battles. One on one and then a triple threat? Gets a bit messy eh? Could mean life or death for some films when going against one or two opponents.

2) Where is Star Wars? Now I know it has the best chance at winning, but does that mean we have to exclude it? I didn't see anything in the rules that said it will not be included. This is the problem with nomination voting that lasts a day. We get lots of entries, but there's usually some serious omissions in the end. I guess nobody wanted to waste any of their 4 nominations on something so obvious. But doesn't it feel odd excluding it? Because clearly the one that wins didn't go up against the greatest threat. And if we're interested in what would win if Star Wars wasn't involved, all we'd have to do was look no further than the one that came in second.

3) Here are some other sci-fi/fantasy/adventure stuff that didn't make it.

A Trip To The Moon (1902)
    Frankenstein (1931)
    The Invisible Man (1933)
    Things To Come (1936)
    When Worlds Collide (1941)
    War of the Worlds (1953)
    Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954)
    Them! (1954)
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954)
    Godzilla (1954)
    This Island Earth (1955)
    The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
    Journey To The Center of the Earth (1959)
    The Time Machine (1960)
    Village of the Damned (1960)
    Gorgo (1961)
    The Day of the Triffids (1963)
    Fantastic Voyage (1966)
    Fantastic Planet (1973)
    Logan's Run (1976)
    Mad Max (1979)
    The Road Warrior (1981)
    Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985)
    Flash Gordon (1980)
    Escape From New York (1981)
    Brainstorm (1983)
    The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across The Eigth Dimension (1984)
    Cocoon (1985)
    The Fly (1986)
    The Abyss (1989)
    Total Recall (1990)
    Cube (1998)
    Trancers (1985)
    The Blob (1958)
    Starship Troopers (1997)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1989)
    Time Bandits (1981)
    Star Wars (1977)
    The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    Return of the Jedi (1983)
    The Phantom Menace (1999)
    Attack of the Clones (2002)
    Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    Monty Pythons Holy Grial (1975)
    Jaws (1975)
    The Incredibles (2004)
    The Wizard of Oz (1939)
    Batman (1989)
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    Will Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1973)
    The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    V For Vendetta (2006)

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I think the reasoning for no Star Wars was that since we don't discuss Star Wars primarily in this forum then it wasn't to be included in nominations.

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    The film with the most votes after a 10-way bracket battle with be awarded a bye for the next round. After the 4-way bracket battle we should have three movies remaining (The film that got the bye, and the two winners). From there, out of those three teams, the film with the highest vote from their respective previous round will have another bye. Leaving the bracket with two films in the end.

We had to put the limit on it somewhere. In any tournament, you're going to have stuff that doesn't make it. The nominations were open and users were allowed to nominate their personal favorite. Everyone had a chance until we got to 80 nominations. Now from everyone's favorite movies, we're going to see which is the best. It's not like I'm going to submit these results and say, "Well, we have conducted a scientific poll and this is the best movie of all-time". This is more like, what's our favorite (our personal best) Sci-Fi/Fantasy based on the collective thoughts of this forum. :)

Would everyone agree with this? This is the main reason I posted the brackets early; so we can clear up any questions.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    in regards to the Ghostbusters I would think of it more as fantasy because of the "supernatural" element to it with Ghosts and so on. in regards to Dark City i couldn't say because I never saw it

5. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    I'd agree that Dark City is more sci-fi than Ghostbusters.

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I would agree with that as well.

7. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Okay. I have switched the two.

:)

8. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bracket #2 looks pretty heavy. Some heavy hitters are going home early

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i think he's still going to randomize the order in the brackets. right ObiWan506?

10. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Going the route of the bye's eh? Why not just go to 128 movies instead of 80? That way it becomes an even pyramid that will eventually widdle itself down to a final two. Then you can also add films like Mad Max and Total Recall. :D

When I did the video game tournament a year or so ago, Duck Hunt wasn't nominated in the nominations thread. So when I came to writing up the tournament, I decided to add it in there. The damn game came in fourth out of 128 games. My point is, everyone thought it was worthy enough to be involved despite the fact that they didn't nominate it in the one day that was granted for such purposes. I say keep the nominations you have now which include many personal favorites, but add other classics that weren't nominated just to make sure you have the full gambit and tried to create as much competition in this tournament as possible.

11. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Hook, I hear what you're saying and I want to be sure that this tournament is done right. I need a consensus from everyone. What do you guys want to do? Do you want to add 6 movies to each bracket, making 128 movies total? Let me know.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I wouldn't mind 128 movies :)

13. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Sounds good. There are definitely some movies on Hook's list that really should be in this. I'd have nominated Escape from New York myself if I'd remembered it at the time, and I'm very surprised no-one thought of Flash Gordon or Wizard of Oz.

14. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    Well Flash hasnt exactly aged well.

I was more worried about the LOTR films bowling over everything else. Might we include all 3 movies as ONE entry? They are going to knock out older classics merely because no one has likely heard of a lot of what THREE Rings movies are up against. Some kind of handicap needs to be in place so more recent movies from the age of instant gratification cannot over-power oldies who only had one theater run 20 years ago and have only been released on DVD recently (thinking of Dragonslayer, amongst others).

A few years back a sci fi magazine tried to make a bracket of TOUGHEST movie monsters, and by random chance the ALIEN from alien was set against Gort from Day the Earth Stood Still.

Remember, this was a contest of TOUGH.

Alien won, Gort lost in the audience vote, a completely sorry and stupid demonstration that FAME can beat FACT any day of the week. For you know darn well that the Alien only won becuase likely no one had ever heard of Gort, his toughness nonwithstanding and it ought not happen here.

15. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    It's hard to dictate and control everyone's votes though. Everyone has the right to vote no matter what their view is. Their vote might not match your vote since each person has their own set of credentials when setting their vote. However, this is one reason why I decided to have the voting be anonymous through the PM system. This way users won't be swayed by the popular vote. Users will vote based on their own preference. It might not be something you agree with, but that's why we vote; to gather the popular opinion among this forum's user base.

As far as grouping LotR together, we're going to keep it as it is now. Harry Potter is up there a few times, so is Alien and Star Trek. Each movie is going to be treated separately. Since all three LotR movies were nominated, they're going to stand as three different, distinct films since technically they are anyway. I trust the users of this forum know this tournament isn't a 'what's cool now' tournament. It's more of a 'greatest film of all-time' tournament. I trust everyone knows the difference.

As for the additional movies that we want to add; does anyone object to Hook's idea. So far, based on the two posts that I've seen, we seem to be agreeing that it would be okay to raise the limit of movie entries from 80 to 128. Any objections?

:)

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not opposed to expanding the brackets- it might allow some heavy hitters to last longer, ven though we run thr risk of throwing in some "red shirts" ;)

And, yeah, LOTR should be 3 separate flicks, because people have differing opinions of each film- some people like FOTR best, others like it the least, etc.

17. CaptainBinaca

Jul 15, 2005
    Expansion is good. If that happens I'd like to throw in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for consideration, mostly in honor of Douglas Adams

18. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Okay. I've added some of Hook's suggestions and I've have 2 or 3 of my own nominations. I need 30 more nominations. 15 Sci-Fi movies and 15 Fantasy Movies. Once this is done we'll have 128 entries and the tournament will finally begin. This is what I added:

War of the Worlds (1953)
    Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
    Godzilla (1954)
    The Time Machine (1960)
    Mad Max (1979)
    Cube (1997)
    The Fly
    Starship Troopers
    V For Vendetta
    Flash Gordon (1980)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Time Bandits
    The Incredibles
    The Wizard of Oz
    Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
    The Princess Bride
    Big Fish
    Shrek

19. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

That's all? :oops:

Then my four nominations go to The Road Warrior, Total Recall, Cocoon, and the Abyss and hope people read my bigger list for more nominations. [face_whistling]

P.S. Don't forget Binaca's nom for Hitchikers guide to the galaxy.

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'll add a few more then:

Galaxy Quest

Bubba Ho-Tep

The Dark Crystal

Equilibrium

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Then my four nominations go to The Road Warrior, Total Recall, Cocoon, and the Abyss and hope people read my bigger list for more nominations.<<

The Abyss: SE is already on the list, unless you suggest we list the castrated theatrical cut as well?

22. CaptainBinaca

Jul 15, 2005
    Has The Frighteners been nominated yet?

If not I'll add that to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Invisible Man (1930, I think is when it came out) and Big Trouble in Little China

23. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    What about Mad Max:Beyond Thunderdome, Gattaca, and FLight to the moon

edit: Can't leave out moonraker

dkt

24. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Flight to the Moon? Why can't I find this movie?

Okay guys, I need 5 more Sci-Fi movies and 11 Fantasy Movies.

25. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Perhapse its supposed to be "Trip to the Moon"?

Batman
    The Incredibles
    Monty Pythons Holy Grail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.