main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Tournament Suggestion Thread -- summer tournament discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by droideka27, Feb 3, 2006.

1. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Best TV Theme Tune

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Alright. We were going to go straight into the next mini-tournament, which would be BEST CGI CHARACTER, but thinking about it, it makes more sense to go on to a full tournament and leave the next mini tournament for going in between the next two full tournaments. However, the next full tourny was going to be 'favourite historical person' or the like: given that The Senate is about to embark on an identical survey, similar to the Amphitheatre's recent 'JC's favourite film' contest, should we still do it? Or should we do, say, favourite band or favourite landmark, which were other major tournaments suggested.

It's up to you. Here are the three options:

A - We go straight on to FAVOURITE CGI CHARACTER

B - We go on to FAVOURITE HISTORICAL PERSON and do CGI Character after that

C - We go on to a different full tournament and then do CGI Character.

I will not check in again until Tuesday evening. Please make your voice heard before then, or else I will decide for us.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    CG character

... I don't need arguments, do I?

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Right, I'll just make my thoughts simple: Lock in C, Eddie, for Landmark.

No, you don't, TwiLek, but I'll still lay my reasons down though. :p

Having the CGI mini after the next major tournament is a smart idea to stop things from getting rushed together and so there can be a break between two fully decked out tournaments. Plus, we've just had the animated tourny of course, and a change of pace is a good thing in this instance. So that's why I don't see A as the way to go.

Now, as far as going with B, the Historical Person tournament, well, in truth, I would have gone with this choice as it had been put up first - but the contest in The Senate has just changed that completely. I know that contest hasn't even begun yet, but it will of course have started its rounds by the time the next tourny comes into play. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that when this Historical tournament takes place, it could be a lure for some Senate folk to come over and participate, which is always good. But running it alongside the other contest would really mess things up if the same people were involved, and eventually comments (arguments, et al) would flow across them both, surely. Which you don't exactly want to happen in that context.

I still think it's a great idea for a tournament, and definitely a tourny we should do - but perhaps after the CGI one in the future. By then, the Senate contest would be over, and it might be even more interesting to see how things go after seeing the results of that contest when compared to how the tournament pans out. It would then, hopefully, have a more relaxed atmosphere as well, and plenty of Senate folk could contribute in a fun way.

As a side note, a Band/Artist tournament sounds really nice, too. But going in order is only fair, and so I think at this stage it should be: Landmark, CGI, Historical, Band/Artist (for the moment of course ;)).

:)

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aor C; there's no reason to do Historical Person since The Senate is doing the countdown.

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    B

CGI Characters will be boring because there isn't much to chose from

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I'd like to do the Favorite Historical Figure one

8. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I would vote for A (CGI character) because it fits to the last tournament. But it would be great to see B (historical person) afterwards. :D

For me it isn't that important if it is a mini or full tournament. It's all about having fun and a good time and so 'size doesn't matter'. ;)

9. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I was all for the historical figures tournement, but if the Senate is doing something similar, then there is almost no point at the moment to have them concurrent. It could be something saved for the future though.

Landmarks sound good (especially because I suggested it:D )

10. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
  11. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    CGI, I guess.

Has forum ever done favorite movie or something??

Can that be done?

12. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm going A (CGI character).

13. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Why were CGI characters allowed in the last tournament if we're just going to do them again?

Landmarks (or Historical Figures) would be good because it's something different.

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Why were CGI characters allowed in the last tournament if we're just going to do them again?

They weren't. It was animated characters. Things like Shrek and the like are still considered as animated films and characters. The difference with a CGI tournament is that the characters would usually be mixed with live action sets (Gollum, Jar Jar, etc). :)

In the past there was a Best Picture Oscars tournament which was along that vein, although not exactly the same. Inty actually mentioned something similar earlier in this thread which Boogie responded to:
    Which would be exactly right, as there are billions of movies out there that could be nominated. But it is a thought for a tournament, and one that could be possible if a way was worked around the obvious hurdle Boogie mentioned. Although at the moment, especially just off the back of the JC's favourite film contest in The Amph, it's only something at the back of our minds as there are a few other tourny suggestions that are ripe to go. ;)

15. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I just had an idea [face_idea]

How about a Snack Food Tournament? Battle of teh Snacks!

Cheetos vs. Doritos vs. Rice Krispy Treats vs. Goldfish!

Nominating would be fairly easy.

16. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    You get a Tim Tam:D

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    You all know what would win in that tournament. [face_mischief]

18. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    B- and after the cgi tourney I vote for favorite Band/musical artist.

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I still say go with the Historical figure thing but that's just me. A Torunament is different from a survey

20. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    B - We go on to FAVOURITE HISTORICAL PERSON and do CGI Character after that

but A is fine too.

Basically I couldn't care less what they are doing in Senate, and a historical figures tourny sounds very interesting to me!

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Shouldn't we care? Census & Games is what one could call a central forum in the sense that people from all around (such as one-forum types) come here to poll, vote and game. Be it FanFiction, Role-Playing, FanForces, Games, et al (and of course the other JC Community forums), they still can and do come here. So even though some of us don't visit the forum where an activity takes place, I think it still relates to what we have here and we should be mindful of it.

:)

22. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Sure, that is one person's view. But my personal opinion is I couldn't care less what is happening in the senate, so if i was just picking for me, I'd go with historical figures. If you want to go with an integrated JC view, don't do it. But I'm betting Dan is asking to see how many people DO care.

As i said though, it doesn't make a huge difference to me what we do.

23. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Yep, which is the perfect way to go. And it's had a great response. :D

It was just my thoughts, I'll have no qualms about it if it goes the other way. Just my view. One dude. ;)

24. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Alright, thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I've got a reasonably accurate gauge of where we are all at.

So here's what we'll do. We'll do the CGI mini-tournament, and see how that works out. It shouldn't take too long, and by the time we are finished, the Senate contest will be well underway. At that time, we can have another look at how well that is going, and whether doing the historical figures tournament would clash, or be a bad idea. So, I'll go start the nominations thread right now.

25. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    [face_idea]

Favorite Video Game Character Tournament