main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tournament-Top Stargate SG-1 Episodes! SEMI-FINALS Rnd 1: "For Cryin' Out Loud!" Bracket Now Voting!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Stargate_Command, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll post the next round tommorow- anyone left over, get your votes in now!

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I'll see if I can dig up some noobs somewhere.;)

3. Stargate_Command

Stargate_Command Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2007
    RESULTS

Chevron 1 Bracket, Round 3:

-211: The Tok'ra, Part 1 ; 0 Votes
    VS
    -406: Window of Opportunity ; 5 Votes - WINNER!

Chevron 2 Bracket, Round 3

-818: Threads; 5 Votes - WINNER!
    VS
    -701: Fallen; 0 Votes

Chevron 3 Bracket, Round 3

-119: There But For the Grace of God; 3 Votes - WINNER!
    VS
    -817: Reckoning Part 2; Reckoning Part 2; 2 Votes

Chevron 4 Bracket, Round 3

-903: Origin]; 4 Votes - WINNER!
    VS
    -509: Between Two Fires; 1 Vote

Chevron 5 Bracket, Round 3

-906: Beachhead ; 5 Votes - WINNER!
    VS
    -914: Stronghold; 0 Votes

Chevron 6 Bracket, Round 3

-819: Moebius, Part 1; 1 Vote
    VS
    -812: Prometheus Unbound; 4 Votes - WINNER!

Chevron 7 Bracket, Round 3

-403: Upgrades; 4 Votes - WINNER!
    VS
    -602: Redemption, part 2; 1 Vote

Chevron 8 Bracket, Round 3

-106: Cold Lazarus; 2 Votes
    VS
    -402: The Other Side; 3 Votes - WINNER!

We Still Don't Know What Chevron 9 is For Bracket, Round 3

-321: Crystal Skull;1 Vote
    VS
    -217: Holiday; 4 Votes - WINNER!

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And just to share where I voted, before we move on..

-406: Window of Opportunity: No contest here, really.
    -818: Threads: Never cared for Fallen, much, and Threads was, for me, the actual finale for the first 8 seasons. Much more effective than Moebius, which was more relevant to Atlantis than SG-1.
    -817: Reckoning Part 2: Having to choose between this and TBFTGOG was really, really tough, as much of a sucker as I am for a good alternate universe story, and as much as I feel Reckoning part 1 was somewhat rushed (this should have been a three-parter, IMO, so that Dakara doesn't come out of nowhere to be of such importance), Recknoning part 2 was absolutely spectacular and an episode I rewatch just a bit more often than TBFTGOG.
    -903: Origin- This is the episode, for me, that really kicked the Ori arc off- Avalons 1 & 2 were ok, but to me it was all about Daniel vs the Doci. Plus the creative use of the kawhoosh was bonus :D
    -906: Beachhead- I really dug Stronghold, it was a great "Cam kicks ass" (as opposed to "Cam gets his ass kicked", which was more common ;) ) episode and really helped establish his friendship with Teal'c more solidly. But Beachhead gave me the Supergate, which is something I had been wanting to see for years. (albeit, I had envisioned the concept being planet-bound)
    -812: Prometheus Unbound- Moebius was ok, but overall, despite my affection for time travel and AU eps, I had to go with PU. Claudia Black > 10th return of Apophis.
    -403: Upgrades- Redemption part 2 holds a good place to me- it's what got me back into SG-1 after not really watching Seasons 2-5, and did a good job of introducing Jonas to viewers, but Upgrades was a more fun episode.
    -106: Cold Lazarus- love The Other Side for it's Daniel/Jack content, but CL is one of those season 1 eps that holds up very, very well and sort of fully resolves Jack's "movie left overs".
    -321: Crystal Skull: Body switching is fun, but still, this was abetter ep, IMO.

5. Stargate_Command

Mar 12, 2007
    Close the Iris! Bracket, Round 3:
    -117: Solitudes
    VS
    -902: Avalon, Part 2

G.D.O. Bracket, Round 3:
    -310: Forever in a Day
    VS
    -421: Double Jeopardy

D.H.D. Bracket, Round 3:
    -811: Gemini
    VS
    -101: Children of the Gods

M.A.L.P. Bracket, Round 3:
    -721/722: The Lost City
    VS
    -215: The Fifth Race

F.R.E.D. Bracket, Round 3:
    -609: Allegiance
    VS
    -622: Full Circle

U.A.V. Bracket, Round 3:
    -314: Foothold
    VS
    -221: 1969

Z.P.M. Bracket, Round 3
    -416: 2010
    VS
    -608: The Other Guys

Post your votes here, or PM them to me!

6. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    "The Giant Aliens!"

:D

I always thought the idea of Daniel with family was weird...I kind of took him as being a loner in this world...thus why he stayed on Abydos, without any means of returning...he belonged more in that world...not just because he got the girl.

Grandpa was weird...and as isolated and estranged as they attempted to make it, it didn't translate when through the actors...they seemed more like long-parted family then estranged.

Dunno...add to that Crystal Skull was the beginning of this "ancient artifacts from around the world with alien technology in them" motiff...though I've gotta say I prefer this one to the one where Daniel goes looking for the fountain of youth box and gets picked up by Central American Guerrillas. It annoyed me when these "discoveries" take place conveniently in time for the show.

Anyway...that's my piece on "Crystal Skull".

Next round?

edit: and you were already ahead of me...well done, good sir.

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    This is gonna be HARD!

I may have to watch some of these to decide.

Hardest round so far...by far.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually liked that subplot- but then, I tend to enjoy the Earth-bound episodes more often than not. I see what you're saying, though, about the actors' inetractions.

Anyways, here're my votes:

-117: Solitudes- As I mentioned earlier, Avalon didn't impress me that much, plus Solitudes is one of my favorite episodes anyways. I love stuff set in cold/arctic areas, too. Not to mention this is the episode that essentially planted the seeds for Atlantis and the entire arc of the Ancients.
    -421: Double Jeopardy- A great example of how SG-1 tended to not leave plots from other episodes dangling. That the "Kumtraya!" guy in Tin Man is one of the factors that turned me off from SG-1 for a few years doesn't distract from the great use of the doubles, though it seems a little too mandatory that they all had to die in the same episode they were brought back.
    -811: Gemini- Replicarter > Apophis
    -721/722: The Lost City- I love TFR. Love the Asgard (otherwise I wouldn't have made that Thor music video!), but can't go wrong with Lost City. Hard to imagine it would have been any better had they actually made it a theatrical movie like they originally intended. This was one of the hardest choices to me (though not as hard as last round's TBFTGOG/Reckoning2 match up).
    -622: Full Circle- "Now I will destroy Abydos". That shocked me big time, the destruction of the locale and symbology of what essentially started Stargate.
    -221: 1969- Foothold aliens are cool. But 60's Teal'c? He's groovy.
    -416: 2010- Aschen > comic relief.

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    -117: Solitudes My pick

building on what 2nd said about the ancients and Atlantis...it's also the earliest inklings of Jack/Sam...I'm a sucker for Sci-fi romance. The Mulder/Scully fan club starts right here too.

VS

-902: Avalon, Part 2

I was really worried about Fargate at this point...it took til "Ripple Effect" to calm me.

G.D.O. Bracket, Round 3:
    -310: Forever in a Day

Just not good enough.

VS

-421: Double JeopardyMy Pick

Teal'c taking down Cronus wins this round.

D.H.D. Bracket, Round 3:
    -811: Gemini

Replicator Sam is better then Apophis...but replicators version 14.6 are not as good as Apophis in the pilot.

VS

-101: Children of the Gods My Pick

A box of tissues as a message...the beginning of some of the best tv writing ever.

M.A.L.P. Bracket, Round 3:

A corner stone of the series as it drew to a close...and epic beyond anything before it...but we don't get here without the other choice this round. A story whose entire premise is rehashed by this one.

VS

-215: The Fifth RaceMy Pick

When O'Neill shakes hands with the Asgard, I still get shivers...just incredible.

"you know that whole 'meaning of life' stuff..." more genius writing.

F.R.E.D. Bracket, Round 3:
    -609: AllegianceMy Pick

O'Neil spray down and Bra'tac's speech...it doesn't get any better in season 6.

VS

but it gets close! Hardest bracket this round...but I did feel abydos had more then run it's course in the series...how many more secret passages could there be in that one temple? Anubis was a shocker, but Daniel wasn't...fans already knew he was coming back when this aired. Takes some of the wind out of the sails.

U.A.V. Bracket, Round 3:
    -314: FootholdMy Pick

Easiest pick of the round. This episode is classic, and a plot worth revisiting.

VS

Time travel is a loser again.

Z.P.M. Bracket, Round 3
    -416: 2010My Pick

but it wins here...go figure...though only briefly, and in a quasi-dimension. I much prefer 2001, but 2010 has it's moments...the sacrifice to get the message out is pretty cool.

VS

-608: The Other Guys

Avenger 2.0 is better...is that still alive in another bracket?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I don't think Avenger 2.0 made the cut for the elimination brackets.

11. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    :_|

That's what I get for finding this thread late.

I should just pony up and countdown the entire series.:-B

I bet the top 50 and bottom 50 would be easy...it's the 100-odd in the middle that would cause grief.

12. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Avalon Pt.2 - Avalon 1 was kinda mediocre in my opinion, but I liked pt. 2 alot, mostly for the Daniel/Vala/burning alive part(very cool scene IMO).

Double Jeopardy - Jack vs. Jack. Classic :p

Gemini - I loved Replicarter in this episode. All in all very enjoyable. Children of the Gods was good, just not my favorite episode ever, I guess.

Lost City - This one is a real toss up, two of the best Stargate episodes ever. Lost City just had a more epic feel to it, and in the end I think it edges the Fifth race, but only by a little.

Full Circle - I've always enjoyed this episode alot, both because it had alot of Daniel, plus O'neill is great in the episode. Anubis' first prime guy(can't remember his name, same guy who was in The Other Guys) vs. O'neill is funny to me.

1969- This one is close too, but 1969 is one of my favorites, so I'm going to go with that one. Teal'c's conversation with the hippy about invading Canada is hilarious.

The Other Guys- 2010 was a great episode, but The Other Guys is a personal favorite. I've always loved Felger, and I liked Coombs also. This episode makes me laugh alot, and that's something I like about it.

13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    bumping for love.O:)

14. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Come on People...VOTE Already!

I swear, I'm gonna start a new thread doing a season by season breakdown of this show...and you'll have another thread to monitor for a month!

You'll know you'll read it...it's a compulsion!

So why do it to yourself...if you vote here, you can have that extra 10 minutes a day to sleep, work on your novel, find the cure for cancer, or sleep!

Avoid redundant thread syndrome...vote here today.;)

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] Maybe you really should have run this tourny from the get go ;)

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    It's my birthday...

For my birthday...

Please...

VOTE!!!!

17. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
  18. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    Well here's my votes:

Solitudes

Forever in a Day

Children of the Gods

The Fifth Race

Full Circle

1969... Some of my favorite quotes are from this episode.("My name's not Kirk, it's Skywalker, Luke Skywalker". - Jack) or ("I'm not at liberty to reveal my identity" - Teal'c)

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    OK...we gotta shake the dust off this thing and get this tourney done before continuum drops.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hopefully it's release, as well as SGA's premiere, will get the gate fans voting again.

21. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    We should proceed with this...the Stargate threads have been awake lately.

22. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    ...I'm back.

-117: Solitudes
    Easy. Great episode.

-421: Double Jeopardy
    While I'm a fan of FiaD, Double Jeopardy is too good to lose to, well, most episodes.

-101: Children of the Gods
    It had its flaws, but still got the series off on a good foot.

TFR is a definite favorite, and is fitting it should go up against its eventual sequel. Lost City wins, though.

Allegiance is up there, but of season 6, it's my third favorite. Full Circle is number 2.

Foothold was fun. It can't win against the single best use of time travel in Stargate though. Screw changing the past, this one worked well.

-416: 2010
    Not a huge fan of either. This was better.

23. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    1. Solitudes.
    I like Avalon as I loved the Ori storyline and it was the intro to that. However, Solitudes is such a crucial episode for so much of the future character development in SG-1 it's impossible to not pick it.

2. Double Jeopardy.
    I really dislike Forever In A Day so while I don't love DJ, it gets through on virtue of being the lesser of two evils.

3. Children of the Gods.
    Sure, everyone likes RepliCarter, but Children of the Gods is where it all started and is a cracking episode in its own right.

4. The Lost City.
    Both episodes are extremely good and if I could I'd pick the both of them. However, The Lost City gets the nod ahead of The Fifth Race as it's more action packed and I'm a sucker for the Ancients.

5. Full Circle.
    Daniel is my favourite character and in this episode he's in his element. Alleigance is a great episode make no mistake, but it isn't Full Circle.

6. 1969.
    Foothold sucks.

7. 2010.
    The Aschen are cool and it's a great premise. One of the best episodes of season 4 (high praise considering it has so many).

24. Stargate_Command

Mar 12, 2007
    RESULTS

-117: Solitudes ; 6 Votes - WINNER!
    VS
    -902: Avalon, Part 2 ; 1 Vote

G.D.O. Bracket, Round 3

-310: Forever in a Day; 1 Vote
    VS
    -421: Double Jeopardy; 6 Votes- WINNER!

D.H.D. Bracket, Round 3

-811: Gemini ; 2 Votes ]
    VS
    -101: Children of the Gods 5 Votes- WINNER!

M.A.L.P. Bracket, Round 3

-721/722: The Lost City]; 4 Votes - WINNER!
    VS
    --215: The Fifth Race; 3 Votes

F.R.E.D. Bracket, Round 3

-609: Allegiance ; 1 Vote
    VS
    -622: Full Circle; 6 Votes- WINNER!

U.A.V. Bracket, Round 3

-314: Foothold; 1 Vote
    VS
    -221: 1969; 6 Votes - WINNER!

Z.P.M. Bracket, Round 3

-416: 2010; 5 Votes - WINNER!
    VS
    -608: The Other Guys; 1 Vote

Up next: SEMI FINALS ROUND 1!

25. Stargate_Command

Mar 12, 2007
    the Semi Finals require new brackets to be formed out of the champions of the old ones, and here we go!

For Cryin' Out Loud! Bracket, Round 1:
    -406: Window of Opportunity
    VS
    -818: Threads

-119: There But For the Grace of God
    VS
    -903: Origin

Post your votes here or PM them to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.