main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming eSports/Tournaments/Competitive Gaming Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jul 15, 2016.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Unsure if there are many fans of gaming tournaments and events, but I have enjoyed watching tournaments in the "fight" genre for the last few years, now - namely Evo, which takes place in Las Vegas and kicks off today. The tournament has grown exponentially in size and attention, and takes a giant leap forward this year, with the Street Fighter V Top 8 being broadcast on ESPN2, Sunday night.

Certainly tons of DOTA, League, Halo, and CS Go competitive events out there throughout the year to discuss as well.

For anyone interested, tagged is the schedule for Evo 2016, which just kicked off a half hour ago - I stick to Twitch, but IGN also streams the high-profile events. And of course, as mentioned, ESPN for Sunday night.

[​IMG]

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I wish I was good in SF. I like to think I'm good (Cammy's my girl), but as I level up I know I'm not as good as the real pros.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm awful at SF. Just awful. I am decent in Tekken, and mediocre in Marvel v. Capcom.

Some good matches so far in pools today - supposedly there are 5000 entrants in the Street Fighter V tournament this year at EVO, which is totally insane. They usually run from 11 AM until at least 3 or 4 AM, EST, on Friday and Saturday. Sunday wraps up around 1 or 2 AM. They're also running Pokken Tournament, Smash Bros (Cube and Wii U), Mortal Kombat X, Tekken 7 (which hasn't even been released in the USA), and then small tournaments for Killer Instinct and Street Fighter IV.

Edit - Really making me want to get the DLC for Street Fighter, though. Guile, Ibuki, 'rog, and Alex. Juri and Urien still to come. Likely a surprise or two announced this weekend, as well.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    For now I only have SF IV, for the PS3. Back during the Winter I rented SF V for the PS4, and plan on buying a used copy of it when the price goes down dramatically. I also have Dead or Alive Last Round. Mila is my character on that. Psyched that KOF's Mai will be a new DLC character in a couple months.

5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh yes. And Akuma in Tekken 7. Love those crossovers.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Ever play SF vs. Tekken? I bought the game about a year ago for dirt cheap. It was pretty innovative; a collaboration of both games into one. And you had the option of keeping the Japanese language voice actors for whichever characters you wanted.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I mainly follow SC2, CS:GO, and occasionally Hearthstone. Overwatch already has tournaments going but I've only watched a tiny bit.

I don't follow the fighting game scene at all but I do check out Evo a little bit ever year. Same thing with Dota where I don't play it but The International is such a huge event that it's hard to ignore.

8. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I'm terrible at fighting games :(

I mainly follow competitive LoL but I'll check out other stuff here and there.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm downloading the demo of KOF 14. I'm glad it includes a training mode.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Looks incredible - also looking forward to Tekken 7.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I'm disappointed it doesn't include Blue Mary. She was my favorite from the series.

12. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    If anyone's interested, the League of Legends world championship starts tomorrow and runs until the end of October. Schedule

League is the largest competitive game and previous worlds have drawn huge viewing numbers and it's looking like it'll be a great tournament this year too.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Carrying on a bit from the MvC discussion thread, from tonight's Capcom Cup final event in LA.

All-American final, with Nuckledu taking the win over Ricki Ortiz. Du entered the tournament as one of the most "in form" players, having enjoyed success while many of the best players took time off - Ortiz was a total shock to make the grand final.

In addition to this milestone, a transgender e-athlete (Ortiz) reached the finals of one of the two most prestigious events on the calendar (even though Capcom is the final event, Evo is still much more watched and visible).

All in all, a heck of a great competition. New season starts next year, Akuma + 5 new characters will be added to the SFV roster.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Evo 2017 starts today at 10 AM PT/1PM Eastern!

Biggest, and longest running fight game tournament in the country. All available to watch, from pools to grand finals, on Twitch.

Schedules here: http://imgur.com/a/xplPq

Major games this year are Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, Injustice 2, Smash Wii U, Smash Melee, Guilty Gear Rev 2, and the last hurrah for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Sunday night's Street Fighter V Top 8 to Grand Finals will be again broadcast from the Mandalay Bay on ESPN2.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Bit of news here in my echo chamber. :p

Some footage of Trunks in Dragonball Fighters was shown after the Tekken 7 Grand Finals today - beta of the game will be available at end of July. Looks amazing, so far.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Another pitch to anyone interested, this is the best weekend of the year for fans of fighting games - Evolution 2018 tournament in Vegas. This year's featured games are DragonBall FighterZ, Street Fighter V (Arcade Edition), Guilty Gear Rev 2, Tekken 7, Injustice 2, BlazBlue Cross Tag, and Smash Bros Wii U/Melee.

Here's a schedule for how you can watch on Twitch - starts tomorrow, runs through Sunday. Street Fighter V finals are also broadcast on ESPN2.

[​IMG]

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's funny, just the other day I saw on the news a story about how parents today are actually hiring gaming coaches to train their children; obviously to one day join tournaments like these and make a lot of money. Kind of makes me think about that scene in "Big" where Tom Hanks is telling his best friend about what he does in that job. "Suckers!"

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    PUT DRAGON BALL ON LAST YOU COWARDS!!!!1!1

heels1785 likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    saw that too - i think it was fortnite. fighting games and sports game like madden and fifa have had thriving markets for hilariously overpriced coaching sessions for too long.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    When I was growing up in the 80s, my parents would pull my brother and I away from the video games. Nowadays the parents not only tolerate the excessive playing but encourage it.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    One of our local brick and mortar game shops used to hold Guitar Hero tournaments at a sports bar years ago, back when Guitar Hero III was new, and I was one of the mainstays.

Other than that, couldn't be less interested in competitive gaming, watching tournaments, etc.