main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"TOY WARS: A NEW COLLECTOR" IS BACK UP!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by niennumb1, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Basically everything in the technical aspect of making this is kinda shabby. This was before I even got started in my video production program. We shot it all in 1998 and 1999 and it was released in 2000. ANYWAY enough disclaimers. "A New Collector" is based on conflicts between collectors and an evil toy scalping empire (Dommonick Hollie Enterprises). It's separated into 9 parts and are large files, so be patient and they will start playing soon enough. Much quicker than the last server it was on.. YUK!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9
    (working on making cleaner larger file version)

That's it! Tell me what you think if you didn't get to see it before! BROADBAND CONNECTION IS MUCH PREFERRED to view these movies. I hope they all load much quicker than last time. They did when I checked them all. If you have cable or dsl they should begin to play after just 2-3 minutes or so.

THANKS!

2. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey, I got to see the last part! That was pretty good ending. I seem to remember you saying that the ending was a little slow, it seemed pretty good to me. I chuckled at the frog attacking' the baddie :D,

The new server worked a treat, WAY faster than the old one, and it downloaded in a couple of minutes.

Roll on the next one...

3. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Daft,

GREAT!!! I'm glad it all loaded perfectly for you! the trailer from "The Phantom Scallper Menace" will be up today on a faster server too.

4. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    I never had a problem with downlaodng them, and I'm on slower connection than Saft, though, that'll change soon.

Are you going to be putting the blooper up as well?

5. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
  6. DarkLordofSmith

Feb 27, 2001
    No probs, how about the rest, I think you said there were four?

7. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Good memory!

Well the others will be up throughout the week. I've ben real busy so I'll do the best I can ;)

8. DarkLordofSmith

Feb 27, 2001
    Not so sure about the good memory bit, but.........

9. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    what server did you find?

Cya
    Mike

10. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    A friend of mine got me some space for a good deal. He owns a server. Of course I've been doing projects for him in the past, so that's why he gave me a good deal.

11. Jedi_Master_dude

Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2001
    Hey Hey Hey! Toy Wars No. 1 Fan Here!!!!!!

12. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    *bump*

(I was afraid this would happen again)

13. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Attention:

No one needs to worry about this topic anymore, so please don't post anything here anymore. I've grown tired of people backlashing and flaming on me for having an opinion on this board. If you look at the "Emotional Breakdown" or something like that topic You'll see my messages I left.

I'm so sorry to all of you that have been so nice to me in the past or when I've had an opinion about one of your fanfilms, you intelligently wrote back explaining your defenses on your fanfilms. you take them with a grain of salt and I appreciate it, as I would much appreciate criticism from all of you, as it just tells me your input on what you'd like done better and what you liked or hated. A SPECIAL thanks to DaftMaul for being able to exchange our thoughts and your great intelligence in responding to my opinions and letting me view his fanfil again and seeing his vision and in turn being so supportive of my film despite earlier posts, everything worked out great.

I won't be posting anymore TOY WARS material on this forum anymore, I'm going elsewhere, which may be a blessing for some. I'll still post messages on here though. If you want to see updates on my fanfil just let me know if you forget the site name (www.toywars.net).

Thanks and sorry again.

14. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Okay. I'm gonna risk it and bump this again and see what happens.

I'm gonna be submitting this to may other fanfilm sites that might host this, some site that will be looking for an original concept but presenting it Star Wars style. I could have done this movie any way I wanted, but I wanted to use a Star Wars-esque theme to it because they are my all-time favorite movies and this is my way of showing my love and commitment to the films.

I think some of you guys say you don't enjoy it because maybe it's too different and hasn't been done before. If I have accomplished that then at least I did something right.

Anyway, no more flaming from me. I'm calm and patient and will take things as they come. I'm as always very open to your bashing or evil criticism and will gladly answer your messages :) I know you can't succeed unless you fail first.

15. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Thats right! Don't take our crap!

:p

~Neszis~

16. Darth_Tater

Darth_Tater Jedi Master star 1

Aug 30, 2001
    I got about 1/2 way through the first episode before my 56k connection got the better of me.
    It looks really interesting though. I really like the camera shots a lot.

Wish I could offer more feedback. I have to see more of it first. =)

17. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Sorry it's not 56k modem friendly. unfortunately it's one of those movies that would take hours upon hours to download on a 56k modem. I will have a VHS done of the final cut of this movie in the very near future and will be offering them at blank tape cost and shipping, so like 6-7 dollars TOTAL W/SHIPPING if you want one.

18. Jedi_Master_dude

Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2001
    Well i just saw Toy Wars ANC again and i have to say i liked it better the second time!!!!!!! And Ill e-mail you ryan with the full review!

19. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Thanks again for your comments, JMD.

Man... I missed a lot being gone for what... 14 hours today? I saw the whole thread about the flaming and the "shut up" and "You're a dork" stuff. Man! What happened? Looks like a lot of unsupported defenses here. Wow... I think after evaluating how crummy a lot of my posts have been I needed to realize that I can't force people to watch something and then getting angry about it doesn't help. Yeah I'm about 24 and still have some loose bolts, but we all have room for improvement somewhere, right?

Sorry to hear about all that happened with that locked topic.

20. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Well, I downloaded this several days ago, but only finally found the time to watch it today. (Yes, all NINE parts.)

First, to those concerned with the DL time, I used a program called FlashGet. It's a free download you can get here. With a few clicks before bed, all nine files were on my PC by the next morning. It automatically resumes stopped downloads and lets you auto DL a whole list of links at once. Pretty cool really.

Here is you're PadawanNick bullet review. (man, two in one day, this is getting tiring.)

The Great
    - Devotion: It is clear from everything in this film that the those involved really put a HUGE amount of work into the project. A very rare trait in a film with so many involved.
    - Concept: The whole story about the toy scalpers and putting them into a Star Wars context is very original. Really cool.
    - Direction/Planning: Like BA, the shots used were very well executed and the editing was fantastic. I can't imagine how much planning and shooting must have been involved in putting a film of this length together. Tracking shots, little filler shots, extras, very nice.
    - Use of SW Score: The editing of the sound track was excellent. The score was matched to the action extremely well.
    - Sound engineering: While the source dialog sounded like it was recorded using the camera mic, it was mixed VERY well with the FX and score. Much better than most films hosted here.
    - Detail in reproduction: I really enjoyed the attention to detail when you reproduced classic SW scenes. The layout of Tupperware on the kitchen table, that backyard scene, members of Jabba's "court", the list could go on an on.

The Good
    - Acting: This seems to be a direct result of the devotion mentioned above. I don't think anyone in this film would be mistaken for a professional, yet everyone played their parts very well. This is especially true of Mom, Dad, and No. 1. These are not just kids playing a game of Star Wars in front of a Camcorder.
    - Special Effects: This falls under good because they were not ground breaking. They were, however, almost seamless. Seamless to the point where there were times that I forgot that they were effects at all. Again, very nice.
    - Locations: Translating every day locations into your story was really-really good. I should probably list this under Great, but there just isn't any room up there. I was nearly rolling on the floor laughing when you used Chuck 'E Cheese's for the Cantina.(The segment was one of my favorites in the whole film.) It really took a lot of guts to approach these established businesses with the idea of filming a Star Wars spoof on in their buildings (during business hours no less.) Kudos.

The no-so-good
    - Stomach issues: I don't know what was going on here, maybe it's something that will be revealed at the end, but the side story of everyone having digestive issues really didn't seam to fit and was a distraction. This isn't Shrek.
    - Diversions: One of the greatest charms of this series is the reproduction of Star Wars scenes. It's almost lock-and-step with ANH for the first two or three reels. After that, though, there seemed to be more and more scenes that were outside of the Star Wars theme. Again, a distraction.
    - Length: I'm sorry, but this thing is just really, really long. (Kinda like my post here.) To be totally honest, I used the FF button for 50% of the film to keep things moving along.

It's pretty clear that you've been disappointed in the response to this film to date. Don't be. It's very clear that you made this film with a genuine love of the work you were doing. It shows in the product. It is really very good. Just remember that this doesn't mean that everyone else will be as interested.

If you want to please others, you have to know your market. This market looks for films that push the envelope in areas of amateur films. Major advances in areas of visual FX, plot, characters, costumes, sound, music are what this group thrives on. You have a very original concept and a you made a very good film.

21. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    For the record, I'm in the middle of downloading part 4, and that promised review should come sometime this weekend if I can get it all downloaded.

22. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Nathan,

(IN ALL SINCERETY <now will be in the beginning of all my messages to CLEAR UP how people think I am in my mood or writing>;))

You don't need to watch the movie, you know. I know from the such raging mad messages you sent me in the other post about "Need someone to make my fanfilm" thread. Yeah I did just put a post that didn't DIRECTLY have to do with the post, well what's done was done and I do regret it, even though it didn't point fingers at one person at all. I'm very much expecting to see a VERY torn apart review from you since you seem to hate me so much and telling me to grow up (yet you're 22 and doing all this name calling like a child and not being very intelligent about it). I face my mistakes head on and I know I can't turn back, but I know it offended you so much and all I can say is sorry if my posts seemed like they were slowly drilling a hole in your head. That's all I can offer is my apology.

I've learned the hard way from many people to be patient and not force people to do something they want to do at their own pace and I gave a shout out to everyone expressing my apologies on this and have promised to not go on my own threads seeming angry and baffled why no one has posted on my board. Quite simply the movie does suck in my opinion. I think the story was good and we put forth great effort in making a feature length film, but the acting, technical work and audio just wasn't up to par with my skills at the time I did this when I was 19. I have high hopes for the sequel, but I am not happy with this movie flat out. It's kinda hard to push it behind me and movie on with my sequel coming out. I hope to be able to work it in a way where people don't have to see this before the sequel.

Which brings me to my final thing to cover (which I guess you all can call BIG news) is that after this week I will no longer be posting on the fanfilms boards. There's too many confrontations and tension on here and I'm misunderstood a lot of the time, but maybe that's because I'm not crystal clear on my posts (and I'm the only one to blame for that). In general I think a lot of the people would love to see me gone and if that will better everyone, then let me do that. If you guys have a beef with that, then let me know why you wouldn't like me to leave the boards and I might consider staying, but the fact is I'm just tired of all the confrontations. I like to carry on some great constructive criticism sessions with people as well as comment on all of your guys' beautiful work you've done, but I can't see that happening as long as there's people out there calling people like me "brainless" and "not knowing what I'm doing" and "childish," "grow-up," "Stupid," "jerk," "Idiot" etc...

I've never had any problems on ANY of the other forums on TFN, but this one. The Fanfilm forum has got to be the most tense place to visit, and must be VERY VERY careful what I say or else it turns into a free for all. I just want to have fun and I'm sorry for coming off as a jerk to some of you in the past, but we have since then made up and have turned out to be pretty good friends and I thank you for your support.

Thanks all and hope no hard feelings and I'm not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me. :) I'm okay!

Ryan

23. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Ryan,

Unless you've received those comments privately, I challenge you to point out where they have been said at this forum. I've been patrolling this thread carefully to make sure you are not flamed, and thus far, you haven't. Granted, your tendancy to drag your misgivings about your film's release into other, unrelated threads makes my job of protecting you much more difficult, but I think I have succeeded in keeping the more tactless comments off your back. To infer that you're being insulted or flamed in my forum, or to go futher and claim that this forum falls short when compared with others at the JC, is a comment I take personally as a blow against my ability to moderate a forum. I encourage you to contact me privately if you're being harrassed by members of this forum, but otherwise, please don't make things up and thereby slander the good name of the people here. Most, if not all, are only here to help and support.

I'm sorry to see that you feel you must go, and I encourage you to think carefully before doing so. There's a lot to be gained from interaction in this forum, and not much to be lost. The only thing we ask for in return is respectful behavior to everyone here, and this means not spamming other threads with unrelated complaints about your film's reception. That said, Toys Wars shows a lot of skill and promise and you'd be wise to continue to exhibit it, no matter where you decide to do so.

24. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Ryan--

I cannot let you just leave. Don't give up. Some people are immature, some people are mature, some people are jerks, some people are nice. This is the reason that I have come up with for it.

Everyone here is a filmmaker at heart. Filmmakers are the harshest critics, mostly to themselves. Now, filmmaking takes every bit of strength, heart, passion, and money from the cinematographer, and when he/she is not granted with the nicest replies, he/she vents his/her rage on other filmmakers, and the cycle repeats. We have very circular reasoning. Therefore, we all turn into a big group of unaccepting grumpy people. Note: this isnt applying to everyone.

Now, I do not intend that this should be an excuse for such behavior, but rather only a reason. I hope you take it to heart, and try and look at people's posts as constructive although they may seem extremely vehement. We are all critics, because that is simply what we do.

Now, I would like to say that maybe people should lighten up a bit, because look, we've already turned someone away. This is just a fun thing (and occasionally a career) and it should not be treated as seriously as it is. I'm not saying not to be serious about filmmaking..by all means, that's what this should be aout. But simple things, like someone asking a newbie question or something, there is no reason to be annoyed! Really, think about it. Isn't it kind of childish to be annoyed about someone coming in who is BRAND NEW and is looking for peer advice about this topic, and posting to gain some of our knowledge?

Maybe it would be best if we would be a little less harsh. I doubt this will make you change your mind, Niennumb, but I know that I will miss you, because you are a fellow filmmaker that wanted to be accepted. Truth is, a lot of people don't have tolerance about this kind of thing. I only hope that someday, we might.

~Meszis~

25. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Maxveers,

I don't hold you responsible. Consider yourself free from any of it. It wasn't any of your fault, it was mine and take FULL responsibility for my own actions, for there's no one else I can blame it on.

If you go to the "I need someone to make my fanfilm" thread, you'll find some stuff there, though i never started calling anyone anything, someone there just has a real problem with me.

In addition I am more than willing to post up in front of the THOUSANDS of people that must be reading these posts to apologize for going into a few threads in the past and placing stuff in posts that doesn't directly relate to the topics. I think this is due to the forums I used to have on my board amongst friends where we all kinda butted in and did stuff like that so I was used to it. Again, my apologies as I should have thought more before posting some of the things I said. You have no idea how much I regret it. Perhaps It's all just coming right back in my face full force.

No matter, whatever I have done in my posts in the past I do sincerely apologize again. I don't expect anything in return :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.