"TOY WARS: A NEW COLLECTOR" IS BACK UP!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by niennumb1, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't want to post a separate topic on it, so I'll post here for my update...

I've thought over a bunch these past couple days and have gotten some very nice messages here as well as some wonderful PM messages telling me not to leave. I have been posting the past two days and I did make it clear that if I was to leave it would be at the end of the week, not immediately (for those wondering why I continued to post).

I have decided that for now I will stay on the boards and try to exchange constructive words with people and do as best as possible not to get into personal confrontations (though I never brought any on to begin with).

Hopefully you will still all accept my presence here. If things get ugly again with anyone putting me down or getting into a public flame war, I'll probably consider heading outta here. We don't need that kind of stuff on the boards.

Thanks everyone who wrote me. You all made a difference.
  2. Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 4
    though I never brought any on to begin with

One of the first steps to recovery is the admission that there is a problem. If you aren't going to own up to the role that you have played in what's been going on, then I don't have much hope for a difference in the future.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, though.
  3. LordGreedo Jedi Knight

Hey niennumb1,

I haven't gotten a chance to check out your work yet as I'm on a 56k myself. Occasionally Ive got access to a better connection, and I'll be sure to check them out as soon as I can. And, for those of you who like films about Scalpers, Collecting, etc. be sure to check out my short "DEAL." which you can read about in this thread right HERE.

4. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Rive,

If you looked at most of my posts here, I have owned up to what's been going and admitted my problem a while back and it has ince then stopped with the impatience and prodding and prying. I think for anyone that is a huge step and I'm VERY comfotable admitting it too. I learned it the hard way, apologized and hopefully we can all move on.

Thanks for your message.
  5. Nathan PTH Jedi Master

star 4
    Nien: He was referring to the fact that immediately after you posted that you were taking full responsibility and apologizing, you turned around and stated what he quoted, denying any responsibility for bringing any of it about (which was done through the very actions you had apologized for a few breaths before).

As for the film...only 2 parts left to go on the download on my end here...
  6. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Coolio. Well at any rate thanks though ;)

Also, Nathan, you may wanna watch the parts seperately instead of all at once. might be way too much to watch on the net in one shot ;)
  7. guruguy Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have just finished watching the entire film. Wow. I can see why you were so eager to have people watch this considering the amount of time and effort this must represent. This film must be in the running for the longest fanfilm ever! Do you also get the prize for the most extras ever in a fan film?

I must admit that live action Star Wars satire isn't generally my favourite theme but I really enjoyed watching this. It helps that I have most of the Ep4 lines in memory so that I can appreciate the parallels in the script.

A previous comment was made on the acting being surprisingly good. I agree, especially considering the number of actors you have in this movie. My friends and family are lousy actors :D ( I made a Dungeons and Dragons fanfilm way back in 1984 ). I was also impressed with the part in Chuck E Cheese. Did you organize all those people to any extent or simply announce to the customers who happened to be there to "please ignore the camera"?

Another previous comment on this movie was made with regard to this film having a story and characters focus rather than CG effects and that it is nice to see this mix at TFNfanfilms. Again I agree. I like seeing something as original as this story.

Overall I say well done and thanks for sharing it with me.

One final (controversial?)opinion to throw into the fanforum ring. I know there was a question as to why some films such as BA and KQ get such widespread attention while a film such as this doesn't. I don't think anyone should be rating their success by the length of the thread they generate and here's why:

1) After wandering through all the previous threads in this forum I see a lot of CG effects topics. If your movie doesn't focus on CG effects then we can't expect these people to be wildly excited. I'd guess you'd lose at least half your audience.

2) This film is HUGE! My drive shows just over 350 megs for all nine parts. Since I have DSL this is only a couple hour project for me but for people with <56k this is asking a lot. Since the latest Canadian stats show 26% high speed penetration I'd guess 75% of people will be unlikley to attempt the download.

3) The four that seem to have gotten the most kudos on this site are Duality, BA, KQ and SoD ( sorry if I missed some, I'm pretty new to this forum). We are all here because we love the Lucas originals and something that closely matches them while we await our fix with AotC is going to be highly sought after. None of these four are satire/parody/comedy. If you look at Spaceballs it didn't even manage 1/10th of the Star Wars box office ( adjusted dollars ). I'd guess you'd lose at least another half of your audience on this point.

What does this all mean? Getting out my calculator shows you are down to 1/16th the audience interest of the "biggies" such as BA and KQ. Admittedly these numbers may be awfully rough ( maybe it's 1/3 or 1/30) but nevertheless, I feel the underlying logic is sound.

This isn't meant to depress the maker of a fanfilm such as this or anyone else. It simply means that different people have different interests and we need to accept that they will pursue the types of films they like. The most important thing is to make what you have a passion for and appreciate that portion of the audience that shares your passion regardless of size. When you make what YOU like it will always show through in the final product. I think it's great that this forum can make all types of SW fans and fanfilmakers feel welcome.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the patience. I realize I'm being a very forward newbie. :)

Mark
  8. Neszis Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm extremely relieved you have decided to stay, nien. Instead of giving up, u adapt.

Guru- thank you at least for not eing a newbie that runs in here and posts repetitive topics, constantly bumps them, doesnt use the edit key, and ask "what is the best fanfilm ever?" Good job!

Greedo....you plugged your own film in the middle of HIS film topic? Its proly just me, but man...that didnt seem too polite.

Great work, nien, and Im on 56k so I cant try the dl :( sorry.

~Neszis~
  9. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    trust me... that was *not* a newbie post... that was almost a TAC post ;)

And nien... I'm glad you decided to stay... I'm looking foward to your next film (i have watched the first 5 parts and it's looking good... my favorites so far were the first 3... I'll be posting a review later.)

Cya
    Mike
  10. guruguy Jedi Knight

star 1
    All right, I've racked my brain and I give up!

At the risk of exposing my new-bie-ness, what is a "TAC post"? :confused:

Google didn't help and neither did ask-jeeves.

(I bet I'm going to kick myself when I find out)
  11. LordGreedo Jedi Knight

Nien,
    I checked out the trailer for Episode III that you had in Realplayer format on your website. I really liked what I saw on there. You had a nice array of diverse locations and characters. I look forward to downloading the rest...
  12. Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Master

star 4
    I hate to be a little weener but, see i told you you would like it.
  13. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Lemme just say that first I don't mind others plugging their fanfilms on this thread. I'm not uptight and anal about everything and am actually very easy going, so i don't consider it rude in the least! Gotta try and get the word out somehow ;)

Guruguy, which one of my friends hired you to say all those extremely nice things (just kidding)! I REALLY REALLY appreciate all your kind words! I didn't know it would carry out well among a bunch of you. I'm glad you saw it for its story and as its whole picture rather than one aspect of the movie (usually the effects). The comments mean so very much to me.

In my opinion since I was about 19 when I started shooting this Toy Wars movie I thought some of the content I had shouldn't have been put in there (which has been cut in this version). I think there is a bit too much flatulence with Beanie the Bagg, this will be toned down in the next movie. I seem to have an obsession with bodily function jokes ;) Of course I always wish I could have done it better since I had access to literally nothing as far as good equipment. Made it very hard to condense all my ideas.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENTS!!!!! I will have a VHS copy of this cut available in about a month for anyone who would like one. I only price it for the cost of the tape and shipping (U.S. about 5-6 dollars, more if overseas) since I cannot make money off it :)
  14. Saintstoryteller Jedi Knight

star 2
    I believe if more people would download at least two or three parts of this film, they would really enjoy it. It is actually fun to watch.

Saint
  15. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm doing a quick lil' survey for you 56k guys out there...

Would it be worth it to you if I was able to get much smaller files out there for you to download? Sure they'll run about 10-15 meg per part and be less in frame rate and size, but would that help some of you guys out?
  16. LordGreedo Jedi Knight

I'm not sure what the screensize is you're using, but if you can make it small enough to help shrink the file, yet big enough to still do justice to the film that might work. 15megs still takes awhile. While VHS copies are great, they're time-consuming and costly. In the interest of time and money, have you considered offering them to interested parties in MPEG or MOV format on CD-ROM? I've never done this myself, but the thought has crossed my mind.

17. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    That would be VERY doable! Then I could just charge for the CD which would be like $.50 and then mailing in the U.S would be like $1.50 or something like that.

Would that be better, all? We could say total $2.00 for everything, depending again if that shipping rate is that or less. I could definitely find out!
  18. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    I just got finished watching Toy Wars, and aside from the occasional problems with acting, it was a rather enjoyable piece.

The fact is, Nien, understands that there's more to a story than lightsaber fights and tie fighter special effects.

And even though it's essentially lifted from Star Wars in the form of pacing - storyline - etc. Nien made it his own with an interesting twist of a Toy Scalping syndicate. There's a message here folks and it's a good one.

As Jeffrey Katzenberg once said "the story is king." And Nien has showed he's spent a lot of time in the Court.

Well done!

Semaj
  19. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Rather than bumping the other thread on THE PHANTOM SCALPER MENACE, I'll post it here...

Below is the link for the PHANTOM SCALPER MENACE trailer (A) as well as the newer "Stills" trailer based off the "Choices" style trailer for EPII. Enjoy!

TRAILER A

TRAILER B "STILLS" :)(not streaming, but under 2.5 meg --Fast!)
  20. Nathan PTH Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, finally, review time. I just finished watching Part 9, so I'm ready to go.

I'll divide my comments into several categories.

The Better Than Good (The "Oohs and Aahs")

I'd say there are two things that fit into this category. The first is the concept. In all the fan films I've watched (which is a helluvalot given that I've been tracking them for the SWT-G), I've only seen maybe three other films at most that dealt with the collecting side of fandom. Of those, this was the best. It's a fairly original concept, and done quite well in terms of story development.

The second thing I'd say falls in this category is the use of the two Beanies. That was very well done. I actually could've stood to see more of the two droid-replacement Beanies in the storyline. I hope they'll be used some in the next episode. (Speaking of which, have we seen the first episode, or was this it?)

The Good

Here, I'd include a few things.

First, the bicycle/podracer effect was quite well done. I'd be surprised if someone didn't consider the concept for an E.T./Star Wars crossover of some kind.

Second, the camera work was very well done. I'd say it was on par with some of the best we've seen. I only place it here under The Good instead of the Better Than Good because I know what's coming in the next little while in terms of camerawork on another project.

Third, Beanie the Bagg was quite amusing. The variant of Huttese was funny, and his 1-800-COLLECT joke was great. One of the better ways I've seen a Hutt done.

Fourth, the use of SW music was quite effective. I'd be interested in knowing if you came up with the music pacing before shooting. We've simply decided to go with original music for our projects. (Dennis Kuhn for PTH and Hybrid of Nature for 2S).

Lastly, the girl's outfit when not in the Matrix-wear was pretty sweet. Then again, I tend to have a thing for "bad girls" at times, so that should be no surprise.

The Bad

There are always nitpicks, so I'll only mention one before the main "Bad." The instance where the main character hang up the phone on John. There's no way that it would have given him a dial tone. If it's like it looks like, and the main guy's finger was holding down the button, then he would've gotten nothing. If he just pressed it quickly, and the person called John, not the other way around, as I think was the case if I remember right, then it should have gone back to the person on the other end, since it wouldn't hang up immediately unless he had called out. At least that's how phones work around here.

The main "Bad," though was the acting. There are some good moments, and I was really impressed with Damien's acting, but many of the parts, especially when almost every line was ripped from ANH, were delivered very flat. That's a major problem with many fan films, and I'm sure people will say the same about certain lines in PTH, but just because it's common doesn't mean it should be overlooked. It made it hard to sit through the entire thing at times.

The Ugly

The ugly would include two things.

First, I tend to *HATE* when people take lines from the films and make a film that basically is a long string of slightly altered lines. It drives me NUTS. Thus, the first half of this movie was VERY hard to sit through. I can understand wanting to do such a thing, but it gets old pretty quick. That's more a matter of my personal tastes though.

Second, some of the humor was pretty immature. Granted, a lot of people in this one were young, but "giant scrotum?" A ball-biting Beanie? Fart humor? That's not even sophisticated teen humor. Given the skill used in the camerawork and obvious effort that went into the concept, I would've expected something more mature in this regard.

The Worse Than Ugly (Mangled and Deformed)

The file sizes for this thing are completely ludicrous. To download the entire film requires downloading NINE separate files that add up to 417 MB for 95:26 of content. For a film with that lengt
  21. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Nathan...

Uh... ummm... What can I say... holy crap! You must have taken forever to post this review! I'd say it was a very honest nitty gritty type review! I thank you so so much for your things you liked and stuff you pointed out. Let me respond to your thoughts, I'm actually pretty well on the same page as you.

ACTING: YES! Blah, I would say. At the time we shot this I was just thrilled to be able to get people to say what we needed for the fanfilm, it being friends and family and all. That I take ultimate responsibility for because I should have spoken up and said, "Um, could you be a bit more intense?" etc... Totally agree, Nate. Though I have to agree that Toy Hunter's acting was very good and everyone at the premiere hated him (because he was so mean). Also I also liked the non-matrix Ada when she was chained up with Beanie the Bagg ;) ... We'll be married in October! Yay!

THE PHONE - HAHA!! Yeah... I just did that for effect. I perhaps should have just had it click when Mark went to hang it up ;)

LINES: YES, A LOT, probably too much was lines ripped from Star Wars that perhaps made many scenes seem VERY predictable. I've gone through 4 darfts in my new movie to correct this, because I think we could easily pull off a good story without having to parallel almost wrd for word every darn thing said in ANH. I 'm sure you know exactly what I mean. Yes, in the end I wish we'd been more original in that sense, again this was all to be for fun and then turned into a serious project when the second movie came around. I guarantee you all that the final Toy Wars will be filled with a bunch of original material, and yes quite a bit more will be done with the beanies!

MUSIC - I'm sorry, but I LOVE the Star Wars music. Using existing music was part of the idea in getting the whole Star Wars-ish feel into the movie since there's absolutely no Stormtroopers or Vader characters in the movie. I wasn't focused on getting my own orchestra at the time since this was a movie we did purely for fun and experience. The same thing will be carried over to the final movie in using Star Wars music. Since no sales will be made on this, I'm not hesitant to use it.

BEANIE THE BAGG - Thanks for your comments on him! It was a very ambitious project to undertake and we were very successful at it. I think he had a bit too much flatulence though, heheeh. There won't be as much of that in the final one, though we have to saty consistent somewhat.

SIZE - OH GOSH, the size is TERRIBLE!!! At almost 55meg PER part it makes it EXTREMELY difficult for just anyone to watch. I'm currently working on shrunk down versions and hopefully they'll be more viewer friendly to those who don't have the astonomical amount of space necessary to watch this thing.

THE BIKE - Yes! You noticed!!! I am a huge E.T. fan and I'm suprised someone finally noticed the cross between Star Wars and E.T. I enjoyed working on that scene. I would say that is the one scene that scared the heck out of me because it was my fist attempt at Blue screening, and doing this with a feature length movie and not doing many tests before really put myself out on the line hoping it would work. I think it was decent, although I would have LOVED to do some more dynamic shots like wide shots and camera winding around Mark etc. It was just technically and physically out of reach at the time.

I hope I didn't miss anything. I know you pointed out a lot of things and I actually agree with you on a lot of it (if you can believe that, heheh). Much of the mistakes we made in this one in many of the elments mentioned will be corrected come the final movie. I hope you enjoy my final trailer before release of the movie. I'M REALLY working on the whole space issue. With it being 2 hours it's really going to be a challenge to get people to watch. Hopefully I'll be able to solve the file size issue.

Thank you so much for your comments. It's VERY evident you spent a great deal of time composing your thoughts!
  22. Nathan PTH Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I had over 90 minutes. ::smirk::

I don't think you caught one question though: Earlier Toy Wars? Or is it just the two episodes?
  23. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Nathan,

Ah yes. Forgot about that one. This is the first movie, even though it's called Episode II. I would make the first one, only it takes place in the 80's and partially in the gulf war, so there's no way I could make it happen right now with how much it wpuld cost to make.

It covers how DHE (Dommonick Hollie Enterprises) came to be as well as showing Mark Gallagher's brother growing up to becoming the once great master toy collector and how he was trained by Number-One Collector as well as showing how he lost it all, transitioning then into Mark's life to hopefully carry on in his footsteps.

I will have something of a brief virtual edition I will have on the site sometime after Episode III.
  24. DarkLordofSmith Jedi Knight

star 2
    When are the rest of the bloopers going up?

I love em
  25. Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Master

star 4
    Ya id like to know to!

Toy Wars Number 1 Fan!
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.