Memph, TN Toys For Tots Drive

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by TK1427, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Tim and Trace- thanks for the gift card and keeping ME in SW toys!

Lin

*edit*
    And thanks Sal for keeping me in Batman toys!
  2. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    It was our pleasure, Lin.

OK- here's where we are with the Toys for Tots drive:

I've yet to receive any response from the local TFT rep, so with less than a week to go, I have no official word if this is still a go.

I'll call the manager of Toys R Us at Wolfchase tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what I find out tomorrow night. I'm not sure who was truly coordinating this effort, TRU, TFT, or the 501st, so I'm flying blind with this.

My preference would be to push it back a few weeks to give us time to inform the media and try to get someone on board in that department. It would also help us get a few more members costumed and ready to roll.

If anyone has any ideas, connections, or anything else, give me a shout. Everyone has my phone numbers and email addresses. I'd love to have a good turnout if we get the green light, but I'll understand if things are really short-notice. Any help anyone could lend would be greatly appreciated, and would be for a great cause.
  3. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    If they could push it back a few weeks that'd be great. I can help with contacting the media if you need it. I just need all the info to put together a press release as well as call a few folks.

Lin
  4. TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If its pushed back or not maybe we should plan a costuming meeting ASAP!
  5. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    That's something I'd like to see us do more often anyway, Sal, since we have a few folks who are interested in working on costumes.

So far, no word from anyone. Tomorrow's the deciding date.
  6. TK1427 Jedi Padawan

Ok everyone,

The 501st were the ones who started organizing this event. Skip called a manager at TRU and was setting it up. He then emailed me and asked me to call TRU to confirm everything. I contacted a manager there who didn't know about it but said he'd call me when he finds out. Then Skip emailed me and said that he had contacted TRU and cancelled the event. As far as I know, no one ever contacted TFT about it.

I jumped the gun and invited the SMT before everything was set in stone. That was my mistake and I am sorry. But whenever it happens, I'll be there.
  7. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Well, things may still be salvaged! We've got time before Christmas. If not, I know the RMH does a toy drive and I can get in touch with them about it. I'll see if I can get the Wake Up Crew and/or Fox13 and the C/A interested once everything is set in stone.

Lin
  8. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I've yet to even hear from TFT. I would think we'd need their blessing first before we move on to schedule anything.

Chuck: Don't worry about it. You were doing what any good trooper would do. It's not your fault. You got tangled in someone else's disorganization.

Lin: At this point, I'd say things are a no go for the 7th and 8th. I would like to do the RMH drive as well as the TFT drive, but we'll see how things go.
  9. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    I'll be awaiting further instructions, sir!
  10. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Don't go calling me 'sir'. You're gonna give me the big head. I'll have to put in an 8-foot door to fit my inflated ego through.
  11. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    Please let me take a moment to clarify a few things.
    1)i DID attempt to organize this event on behalf of the 501st Southern Outpost.A few weeks ago i found out i was going to be in Memphis this weekend.I have family in collierville and had no specific plans for the weekend.well, i emailed the 501st group and asked if anybody would be interested.a few people were and so it looked like it was gonna happen.
    2)i never emailed or called the toysrus mgr.Chuck,i thought you were going to go by there and see if they would be receptive to this event.i never heard anything definate back.
    3)many other 501st members ARE STILL INTERESTED in doing this event.who said the Southern Outpost cancelled out????
    4) last week i found out my leisurely trip to memphis was now a pre-thanksgiving dinner with many other family members coming.i was then asked NOT to attend a trooping event but to instead spend that day with family that will not be in Nashville for thanksgiving.
    5)i sent out a notice to the Outpost letting them know that i was no longer planning on being there,but i would help in any way to get this organized.

i never saw anybody "cancel" the event.my attendance shouldnt make or break any events.

chuck,you and tiny represent the Outpost wherever you troop.chris from AR wants to come as did Joey possibly.

like someone else said,even if its just you and tiny plus the number of FF members thats more than enough.these people that come up to you will be so impressed by the 2-5 people trying to help out TFT.
    dont cancel this on my behalf.Please continue to plan and if need be push it back a few weekends to give yourselves more planning time.
    this weekend was picked because I was going to be there.now that Im not part of that equation do whatever weekend you can.just dont give up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Skip Curley
    Southern Outpost
  12. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Skip: I understand that there may have been a breakdown in communications in your organization, but this is not the time or place to lay any blame. We appreciate that Chuck was kind enough to bring this to our attention. We can take it from here, and would would welcome any of the local 501st members who would like to participate, as well as anyone from the Rebel Legion. We will keep all groups informed of our progress, and will keep the lines of communication open regarding this and all other Memphis FanForce events. After all, events such as the Toys for Tots drive are about charity, and we all can, and should, do our part to help out.
  13. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    i wasnt blaming anybody,merely giving some details about what happened on the "outpost" end of things.

since there was such a negative statement about the outpost quitting i felt it was worthy of an explanation.
    simple as that.

skip
  14. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I understand the disappointments and emotions involved here, but it's time to move past that and try to bring this to fruition, if it is still feasible, through the proper channels.

I still have yet to receive a response from the local TFT rep, so this could very well be a no-go. If so, then life will go on. There are a ton of other causes that could use our help. (Anyone ever see a Jedi ringing the Salvation Army bell?)

We may have a chance to help out Ronald McDonald House if they have a toy drive. I've contacted RMH on that and other matters, and I always have my secret weapon- Lin, (a.k.a. Mr. RMH Insider ;) )

15. TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Wait that means there was NEVER a plan to begin with? TFT nor TRU knew about it? What was suposed to happen then? Just show up in costume and make an event out of it? WOW thats amazing I never thought that the 501st or any group was that great... well Jesus was... and maybe the beatles.
  16. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    Thats what my post was all about!!!

the event was only in developmental stages.we never got far into planning this.the 501st usually works out events months in advance.we never just show up and do stuff.we put alot of time and effort into getting things highly organized prior to being there.i was only recently made aware of the invitation of the SMT.the 2 groups(FF and 501st) are a great matchup for events such as these.but without planning it just wont be successful.

i had to back out for stated reasons.the planning could have still continued.now its a little late so id say to set your sights on a new date and try to work it out.

i dont want to dwell on the bad,as tim said lets move forward here....

edit:please re-read my post from earlier.im sensing some sarcastic vibes and would like to point out that over half of my post was encouraging the event to take place.it doesnt matter who ,what ,why.just try to run with it and make something happen.

17. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Everyone, please. Let's all take a deep breath here. Step away from the "Post Reply" button. We do ourselves no good by reviving and arguing over something that was never really an issue in my opinion, and may already be a dead issue at this point.

18. TK1427 Jedi Padawan

Well, as usual, I f****d everything up again. I apologize to the SMT and the Southern Outpost for not getting my **** straight. I guess I tried too hard to finally get some of the Southern Outpost to do an event here in Memphis for once and to invite my new found friends in the SMT to join in the fun. Sorry I got my info wrong. It definitely won't happen to either group again ever.

Chuck
  19. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Chuck: No need to apologize, my friend. There was no harm done at all. Your intentions were completely honorable, and appreciated by me and many others here at the SMT. And most of all, your participation here at the Memphis FanForce is still greatly appreciated. Don't let this bother you in the least. You've done nothing to remotely tarnish your reputation among us. In the short time you've been with us, you've demonstrated your commitment to this organization. You are an asset here, a credit, and it would take something a hell of a lot larger than this to change that opinion of you.
  20. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Skipperrrrr! Good to see you checking out things on this side of the Force. If you thought you felt any sarcasm in some of the posts- well, you haven't been aound this group enough- THERE WAS sarcasm! That's one of the reasons I love hanging with this group. Also realize that things always seem colder/meaner when in print! I've dealt with A LOT of misunderstood emails because of that.

I haven't been around long, but I've sensed a disturbance between the jedi/rebels and 501st members. I was happy as heck to see Chuck/TK1427 show up at Nightmarez and hang out with some 'rebel scum'. I hope we can get our grouops together for events like that, RMH/St. Jude, and Toys4Tots more often. You can't have balance without dark AND light, or yin and yang, or Milli and Vanilli...well, you get my point! Dug hearing the 501st clank down the halls at MSC, and can't wait to see Jengo's new all metal armor! You guys made my buddy Antone's day when you all gave him a t'shirt and hassled him about not having a license to draw in public!

Chuck: Don't feel you f***'d up. I think this event can be salvaged- if not, then there are PLENTY of other things we can do like it. We just need to get it organized. Then we can say, "I love it when a plan comes together!" Thanks again for you and your family coming out to Nightmarez. I'm organizing all the pics now.

Timmy! Let me know what I can do to help out. I think this, the RMH movie night, ShadowCon, and Zahn signing could all be a lot of fun. Since you and Skip are the leaders of your respected groups we'll have to follow both of your leads.

BTW- I used the gift card you gave me at TRU last night for a couple Batman figures I didn't have- thanks!

Now, where do we go from here..?

Lin
  21. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Timmy? I'm going to have to hurt your for that one, Lin.

Day 5 without a response from TFT. For now, we'll consider this one a closed issue. Should I receive word from anyone, I'll let everyone know.

TFT is run by The Marine Corps. Any chance the person I'm trying to contact is in Iraq right now?
  22. skip1 Force Ghost

star 3
    great post "dork",hahahaha

can our groups work together....heck yea they can.
    after the blast we had at msc i expect us too.i dont care what group your in,if your a SW fan then your a friend of mine.

the 501st does get some slack from FF in some areas.this hasnt really been the case with any of the TN FF groups.you guys were great when we came there and invaded MSC.there were no bad feeling on our end..none.all of our members are planning on coming back next march.

i too was happy to see chuck troop at nitemarez.he has had to travel to be with the 501st in the past.im glad he can have some fellow costumers there close to him.

as for the TFT, i too am having a hard time getting through to somebody.ive sent emails and left messages to no avail.
    is there another charity,even a local one, that could use some help?
    TFT is wonderful and ties in with us great.but if they cant work with us then id say focus on another worthy charity if possible.

skip
  23. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Glad to hear you'll all be coming back to MSC this year, Skip. Since it's a DeepSouthCon as well it should be MUCH bigger! Oh man, maybe I should start drinking heavily now!!!

I'll keep an ear out for any other toy drives. I know the Wake-Up Crew usually do one, and so does the RMH.

As for the 'TIMMY!', if the name fits...

Linny
  24. TK_1427 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Timmy, Skippy, Linny,

Sorry I just had to :)

Chucky
  25. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.