main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA TOYS R US in Colma and SF's Geary Street Store Closing. :(

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AnasianSkywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Yeah, the title of this thread says it all^. Just got word today that both TOYS R US stores in Colma, and the one on Geary Street in SF, are indeed closing. The TRUs in Foster City and Redwood City still will be open. Items are being marked down as we speak. :_| I guess it is inevitable with the economy, and the rise of on-line shopping that this would eventually happen...but still. Having many great recent SW memories at a TRU store for the past 3 Midnight Madnesses - especially last year, and the one that took place in Denver for Celebration I, it's unfortunate this had to happen.

And with the closure of the downtown FAO Schwartz a few years ago, and the closure of almost most of the Kay Bee Toys, it seems that the "great toy store" is officially coming to an end. Places where you could actually touch and see the product - instead of praying it does not get damaged when it gets shipped to your house.

I know, it's probably trivial to get melonchaly over a store closure, but hey - it's almost as sad like the demise of The Coronet...Oh well. :confused:

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Well, it doesn't surprise me. TRU for the last few years has gone to crap as a retail store in general. Add to that they were unable to ride any boom or trend in the electronic toy market.

3. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    I wouldnt it call it trivial at all Anasian :). Great memories.

Who can forget the old 80s Toys R Us layout as you first stepped inside going through the party and knick knack area then through the video game aisles (with the tickets to take up to the disgruntled toys r us employee stuck in the videogame box up in the front) then cutting right to the "Aisle", the one we all were heading for- The action figures one with the Star Wars toys. Oh yeah!

Then it was off to get some Pioneer Chicken.

4. elmoizme

elmoizme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    That really sucks. You're right Dale.. going to the Colma store with my parents buying the latest Star Wars toys when I was a kid was just as memorable as going to the Coronet. I'm glad I at least got to bring my son to both.

5. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Pioneer chicke, now that brings back fond memories...

6. elmoizme

elmoizme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    I don't remember Pioneer in the city. I remember all the Quick Stop drive in burger joints they used to have. Don't they still have a few in the eastbay?

7. Bith_Lord

May 5, 2005
    Dont know about up in the city but the Sunnyvale Toys R Us I went to as a kid... there was a strip mall next door with a Pioneer (since loooooonnnnng gone)

They had chicken strips back when McNuggets were newborns.

May the Grease be with you.

[image=http://theimaginaryworld.com/adtour13.jpg]

8. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    i remember every kid wanted to win the toys r us contest where you get to go around the store and grab whatever you want when i was a kid. they haven't done that in years!

pointless, but fun memory.

9. Bith_Lord

May 5, 2005
    Yes! I used to dream what I'd get in the shopping spree - which areas would i would concentrate on .

Then I'd worry if it was one of those timed shopping sprees where you have to cross a finish line, id somehow drop everything ala an old Laverne and Shirley episode where the two ended up with only hotdogs and a few beverages.

10. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I went to the Colma store a lot when I was a kid. It's sad to see it go. :( I also remember Pioneer Chicken, and that Laverne & Shirley episode too! ;)

11. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    It's always sad to see toy stores close! I still love to browse them. But I agree that TRU is less than optimal these days. They are usually behind the regular retailers (Target, WalMart, etc.) in terms of their stock, and they are giving more and more space over to baby clothes, strollers, etc., at the expense of toys. Oh well! End of an era, I guess. On the plus side, there is a TRU about a mile from our place here in Alexandria, so if any of you need anything let me know. Chances are I'm dropping by there anyway!

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Funny you mention that, Anne. The TRU in Colma is actually becoming a Babies R Us. Speaking of WalMart and Target, I remember getting a lot of my old SW toys like my original Don Post Vader helmet and AT-AT at Mervyn's when they had a toy section.

13. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    I know, I remember the "good old days" when most larger dept.-type stores had toy sections! Even odd places like hardware stores would stock SW action figures and trading cards when I was a kid. I also used to pay 15 cents (yes, 15 cents!) a pack for SW cards. Sigh! :)

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    My favorite memory of the TRU in Colma was winning my 6 ft. Millennium Falcon from there! As for cards, I think some of my original cards from the 70's still have that bubble gum smell! When the world ends, the cockroaches will be living off those flat pieces of gum!

15. Vermilion1

Vermilion1 Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm sorry, it's probably my fault. :(

I worked at the Coronet all the way up to closing, and up until the beginning of December, I worked at the Toys R Us on Geary. That coupled with the closure of the Wherehouse on geary (my preferred place to rent videos) and the eventual closing of the Bandai store, it seems like my prolonged presence at any place of business is indicative of coming closure.

It sucks...

They got their last shipment last week. People should also keep their eyes out for March 8th, which, I hear, is the planned final day, unless the sale goes well. In the case that they do go through everything ahead of schedule, they'll close sooner :(

At least everyone got their clone pilots, I hope.

16. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Okay, don't stay at any Marriott properties, will you?

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I went to the Colma TRU and got some SW party supplies for 50% off, and Dale put his name down for the SW displays and signage. FYI, they are selling their fixtures and shelves too! Even the candy by the cash registers are discounted! I'm going to check out the Geary store on Saturday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.