main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT TPM 3D Has Finally Stopped The "Everyone Hates This Movie" Charade!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin_Darth, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    You guys are right, TPM grossed a billion....

But money doesn't change a thing, rich-turds smell just as bad as piles of dung.
    ;)

2. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Yes, but let's not dwell on "Avatar"... ;)

Seriously, it's a great day for TPM fans all over the world - and we still have 5 more 3-D re-releases to look forward! :D

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly, so your claim which you are attempting to make with such absolute certainty has no bbasis whatsoever.

4. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Not my issue, or concern.
    :)

5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    IT has not crossed 1 billion yet.

Give it a day or two. It needs 3 million to get there :D

6. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Will you people knock it off with the excrement metaphors already? It is seriously overdone. Go look at the comment section for the official TPM 3D trailer and you'll see what I mean.

Dude, it's been DONE. Find a new angle.

Seriously, are you people assigned templates you work with or something?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    This. I agree that ANH 3D will probably surpass TPM 3D, but every time somebody uses the phrase "polished turd" or some variation I have the urge to throw my computer in a blind effort to destroy the internet and everyone on it. It was dumb when it was made up, ad it's even dumber with every repeat.

That said, TPM rocks! Can't wait for the rest! [face_dancing]

8. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    What is really dumb is when people use the same old insults.... under the belief that they are being original! And to think... these are the folks who think they could have done Star Wars better than GL....

9. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    The incredibly lame "abortion" metaphors are even worse, now that I think about it. Do people actually think those are "shocking" or something? [face_laugh]

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I agree. They should be flushed right down the crapper.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Couldn't agree with you more! Send those stinky, ill-begotten, torpedo-turds out into the void!! Be gone, brown missiles!!!

;)

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    TPM is by no means a turd or a stepchild (I love it), but it is pretty clear that ANH will pass it and retake its status once ANH's own 3D release is out. How can it not? It just got passed, and only because one of the newer movies had its 3D release. People will surely turn out in at least the same (and most likely greater) numbers to see ANH in 3D.

13. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Yeah, I think you're spot on.

14. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Agreed!

Also IMO ROTS will end up making the most money out of all 6.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. CaptainGiladPellaeon

CaptainGiladPellaeon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2009
    I agree with much of what I've read in this thread from defenders of the prequels: detractors tend to be louder than supporters; the online community likely has a larger population of prequel haters than does the general population; the mainstream entertainment media likes to focus on the fans with negative views of the prequels because so many mainstream critics share those negative views; the format of certain online forums encourages negativity.

I think an additional reason for the misperception that the prequels were universally ill received involves people like me, though. I love watching the prequels, and I've even collected quite a bit of the prequel-related merchandise, but the older movies are just more to my taste and probably always will be. I'm just guessing, based on no statistical research whatsoever, but I think a lot more Star Wars fans feel the way I do than have a completely negative reaction to the prequels. Unfortunately, our voices get lumped together with the bashers. I think some mean-spirited bashers and critics purposely lump all the negative opinions together, in order to obscure the issue in favor of their perspective. Others are just lazy and unnuanced in their thinking. And to some degree, it's an unavoidable human conceptual practice to group, categorize and simplify complex data into managable shapes. But don't lose sight of the fact that there are people like me who see a preview for the Episode I rerelease and immediately say, "I wish it were Episode IV instead," but who nevertheless are among the first in line to see any of the Star Wars movies in theaters again.

. . . sometimes with my friends and family, I mock the prequels with a lot of hyperbole, sometimes because I've developed a lot of inside jokes about the movies with fellow Star Wars geeks. I try to tone that kind of humor down, these days, especially when I'm around people who don't know me as well, because I don't want to come across as one of the serious prequel bashers. But my point is that many people who say the same kinds of things about the prequels might actually mean quite different things.

16. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Interesting post. I think I'm much closer to what you describe than I am to the radical PT bashers. Perhaps I'm a little less forgiving than you are for the flaws of the prequels, but I'm by no means an outright hater either. If I hated the films, I wouldn't have watched them all multiple times.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think that's the crux of it. A large number of people offered up some criticisms of the movie, so based on that, it was concluded that a large number of people hated the movie. Lazy logic. Lots of fans criticize elements of the OT, too. The average person who cares enough to post on a message board about a subject is someone who has delved deeply enough into the topic to be able to see both its virtues and its faults.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My brother--who hates the prequels--once told me, "One of these you're going to find yourself outside a theater wearing a Chewbacca costume, wondering what happened to your life." This was about 10 years ago, and I told him that I certainly would not--I would be wearing a Padme costume.

19. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/Qjw1o.jpg]

[face_laugh]

20. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Films making money means people want to see it, and they enjoy seeing it. No matter how arbitrary the reasons are (Visuals for Avatar and Alice in Wonderland), (Action scenes and women for Transformers 3) people are finding enjoyment in the films.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    Absolutely - and SW is still a fabulously popular franchise, aside from the films there's a TV animated series, there's books, comics, merchandise, a new MMORPG, etc. People generally can't get enough of it, 35 years after it started.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I recall arguing with someone on another forum that "the vast majority" did in fact not hate the prequels a few years back, and that it seemed to be the very vocal minority on the internet that felt that way about them. Seems as if the gross of TPM 3D has proven me right about that in hindsight. Not that said individual would ever be willing to admit it. Probably just throw out the comment that "they just aren't smart enough to stay away from an obviosuly bad movie." Do people still try to use the "real fans" argument when criticising the PT?

Andy Wylde and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  23. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I've watched the TPM 3D release several times with regular (non-fanboy) audiences and the reaction has always been positive. I even heard applause at a Saturday matinee show after it had already been out for a week. It has always been a vocal minority that hated this film and the rest of the prequels. But try to tell them that and they just get louder [face_laugh]

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  24. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Thats exactly why I dont like and never want to see it with so called SW fans. They are the ones with all the baggage and obsession. The best way to see any SW movie is with normal people/casual family audiences. Thats who Lucas makes star wars for.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    Well, I agree with most of what you say, but there *are* some SW fans who have a good time with all of the movies in the saga... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.