main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT TPM 3D Has Finally Stopped The "Everyone Hates This Movie" Charade!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin_Darth, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Truth doesn't always hurt, but sometimes it smells less than wonderful. I guess instead of comparing it to Dooku, er Doo-Doo, I could have said "smelly like a wet-Wookiee". But I'm too much of a Chewie fan to offend all the "walking-carpets" in one Fel-swoop.;)

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    If you say so. ;D

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    There are more than just * some * SW fans who enjoy all of the films and in particular the PT. As I already noted once, it has been my experience (primarily here but in other places as,well) that the 'haters' are actually a minority group who only SEEM like a majority because they're louder and more outspoken than the actual majority of those who not only enjoy the PT, but appreciate it and the OT equally.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  4. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Saw it with the kids last weekend and they loved it. I echo some the comments that Liam Neeson made the movie. Jar Jar was not as annoying as I remember and Panaka was absolutely dreadful.

5. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    This new "Panaka is a problem" thing seems to me like yet another one of those "new reasons to see a problem with TPM" fads that come and go.

So now people get mad whenever Panaka speaks :rolleyes:. Hes the head of security. He interjects comments to the queen throughout the film because he is the Queens head military guy. It would be like watching a movie and getting mad at the secretary of defense any time he talks to the president about the plot. At least Panaka was a badass and a cool new side character.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Sighs! Thank you! You said it all.

7. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Totally. And for some strange reason, on having watched TPM this last time, he kept reminding me of Obama. I'm not saying I see a physical resemblance, per se, as much as something about the way he carries himself, with confidence and being pretty self-assured.

Maybe that is one reason some people are now picking on poor Panaka? :confused:

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That would make sense, as I remember absolutely no criticism of Panaka in 1999. Quite a bit towards Jar-Jar and little Ani, but Panaka didn't even get a mention that I can recall.

I like Panaka, and Typho as well.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    No, but I think Ric Olié was ridiculed a little, back in '99. ;)

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    LOL people who have less than 3 lines in the whole film becoming subjects for massive, prolonged debate[face_laugh] 8-}

Thats why I only like watching the film with casual viewers or by myself.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2005
    Oh wow, is this Pananka thing for real? The guy was basically one step above an extra. There's more reason to bash Porkins in ANH than there is Pananka.

But we already know that TPM may be the most overly scrutinized movie in history, and that the haters are just making up excuses to whine.

Andy Wylde and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Panaka looks great compared to some of the Senators in the ROTS deleted scenes.

His mother's maiden name was Obvious.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008

I couldn't agree with you more! redlettermedia can go sob itself to sleep. Star Wars is Star Wars and it is beautiful!

14. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Faith in humanity restored. :D

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Anyone who thinks Inception is "cold and lifeless" might want to revisit it after they've had a significant other die on them. The movie had plenty of "heart", it just confused people.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  16. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

=D==D==D==D=

Exactly. Very well said.

I have said it before and will say it again, TPM's record speaks for itself. No other film in history can claim what TPM has done and continues to do and the generations it has united -and divided and then united again.

It has been 14 years since TPM was released and despite the unprecedented phenomenon of bashing and obstructionism towards the film throughout the last 14 years it STILL did very well in the box office yet again. A film that was re-released for, not the 2nd, but the 3rd time since 1999. In the SAME year as it was released on blu-ray only just 6 months prier when a big part of the country already had in sitting on their shelves in HD. And in the age of netflix and digital streaming no less! In spite of all this it still did great...YET AGAIN.

The fact is that this whole anti-PT anti-Star Wars Saga trend is really showing its age more so than EVER before and showing its true colors as just that -a hipster trend. Thats a very good thing for the fan base. Its progressive. Its very refreshing. And most importantly its genuine. Its from the young open minded fans who love and appreciate THE STAR WARS FILMS and not just the star wars brand name which is the only thing the bashers really like (and want to take away from Lucas) any more. The future looks bright for SW and all that had to be done was give people the opportunity to go see THE FILMS again.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I'm not going to argue if TPM box office success can really objectively speak to the quality of the experience of the film.

But really? Hipster trend? For some maybe, but you're fooling yourself if you truly think you've got a handle on where the dissatisfaction comes from, just as much as those that think PT-fans are mindless drones gobbling up anything GL puts out there. Neither prejudice does anyone here any good. Sadly, there are probably a few vocal close-minded bitter OT-purists that spoil it for the rest of us that simply have lived and known a different Star Wars than is experienced today. Of course, from my point of view, it is a better experience. How could I personally not think this since I experience it this way? But ultimately, what gets lost in all this polarized talk, trying to pigeon hole each other and our motives, and not really have an open mind no matter how young we might be, is that there has been a change, the experience of Star Wars then and now is a very different thing, how could it not be? We've got 6 films instead of 3 done by a director who is now at a different place in his life than he was then. We've got more books and spin off material including a very officially sanctioned TV series. We've got a more explicit representation of the events the OT hinted at. We know what the face of Boba Fett is under that mysterious helmet now. It is a very different beast than it was then.

Is this a bad or good thing? That's pretty much for individuals to decide I suppose. But it is through discussions on what that change has meant and to try to see both sides that something valuable can come from this interaction. Otherwise we're all just fighting to see who can come up with the best quip that gets us to the top for the time being. There is nothing inherently good in the new, the new can actually undermine what was good. To throw terms around like "progressive" or "refreshing" or "young and openminded" is to only demonize those you disagree with but think you've uncovered hidden foundational truths to the situation. You have not. You have only found a way of making your opinion sound like fact.

I'm glad TPM is doing well. But I am feel no obligation to go see it again nor praise it because box office numbers are good. So are Titanic's.

18. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Well I think that if a film does well box-office wise, there certainly is an audience for it.

I hate transformers, but people like it and people have clearly seen it multiple times in theaters. I will tell people who like the film, how I feel about it.

I tell them that transformers 2 was the worst movie experience i have ever endured, where I wanted the film to end after the first 10 minutes.

But I don't tell them that their opinion sucks because they liked the trilogy, or that they have poor taste.

Not saying that anyone here is, but I think alot of the agony and drama of the PT vs OT debacle is that people demean others for liking the OT or liking the PT.

I think this whole back and forth jabs and vitriol has escalated into a whole new creature, and its quite ridiculous.

19. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    Definitely ridiculous. I myself am one who has come through the fire of that and been responsible for throwing gasoline on it in my early days. I don't intend to sound like I'm on a high horse or anything. And coming through it has distilled my understanding of my own reasons for being angry into something I hope is more tolerant of others views.

I often think that people read "your opinion sucks" in things that get written for or against. But it isn't really the intended meaning. It is only that someone is basically saying, you know that thing you like? I find it kinda sucky. Now does that necessarily mean that you, overall, as a person, suck? Well no. I may find it funny or odd that you like something that to me seems bad or flawed but I (should) know that there are things that I also like or praise or find worth in that others might roll their eyes at. It is a fine line and it can be hard not to get offended, but that is the effort we all need to make I think.

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Both of the last two posts make fine points, but unfortunately there have been those who say stuff along the lines of "you're an apologist" or "you're a hater" or "you don't understand good filmmaking." The "how can anyone in their right mind" stuff stifles debate and even if not so intended, puts down the other viewpoint.

Too much of that has happened, whether its OT vs PT, Anakin as "mass murderer" vs Anakin as "a bereaved son who only took his just revenge against mindless Tusken monsters."

Discussion is so much better than argument. IMHO.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  21. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    Those examples you give are ones where I think the meaning and intention to wound is pretty clear and are intended to offend or put down another's opinion. And sometimes it comes from a mean spirited place, other times it might very well be that someone genuinely doesn't get how someone else sees something they do not, are frustrated and end up perhaps thinking they can get the other person to reconsider with insult? Which, as we all know ALWAYS works! But yeah, most of those are the ones that probably do fan flames and get things heat up and get remembered.

22. VonDan

VonDan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 4, 2012
    Even Jar Jar's sister Gee Gee hated his Performance

[​IMG]

23. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    The worst part is that the film always did great in any of its releases and this is an official gallup poll proving it:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/3757/public-gives-latest-star-wars-installment-positive-rave-reviews.aspx

Bottom line time:

It was released world wide: It did amazing, breaking and re-setting world records.

It was re-released the next summer for charity: It did great breaking more world records.

It was released on vhs: it did amazing breaking more sales records.

It was released on dvd: it did amazeing and broke records for the most sold dvd ever.

It was released on blu-ray: it did great breaking more records.

It was re-re-released on the big screen in 3D 14 years after it was first released despite what is undeniably an army of obstructionists trying every/any way they can for 14 years to tarnish it:

And it still did great yet again.

24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Wow that gallup poll proves what I've been saying for ages! When it was originally released, most people loved it. But over time, the haters have nitpicked tiny things that nobody noticed & turned it it a full scale hate war. Redlettermedia is the leader of this vile flaming!

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Is it a thing? It was just one comment.

BoromirsFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.