main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM after ROTS - it'll blow you away.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Thena, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Bravo! To the original post.

2. Brobu

Brobu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    ROTS may put TPM in perspective, but the bad scenes are still bad, and the poor performances are still poor, and the uneven pacing is still uneven. I will never be blown away by TPM anymore than I was when I saw it the first time. It hasn't magically become a masterpiece.

3. Uric-Qel-Droma

Uric-Qel-Droma Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    TPM for me hasnt changed at all, i still think its an average movie.

4. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    I agree it's better after ROTS because GL wrote it that way. However I believe this 'blow you away' statement is probably true for someone who has seen TPM like only once (or twice). I guess most of us already seen TPM so many times and already guessed or interpreted so many different elements of the flick who seemed out of place during those first encounters. In the end, I still think it's too slow to make multpile viewings possible in the way like the other episodes. But it's still a remarkable movie IMO.

5. darth_hamfisted

darth_hamfisted Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    I walked out of that movie being amazed, excited, and I really, truly, did not have ANY problem with Jar Jar, or any of the story.

Fine. Just don't try to come up with overwrought excuses for why people don't like JJ, because there obviously are legitimate reasons not to like this character, not all of which are based on flaws of the viewer.

6. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Well said, I agree. I just bought the TPM DVD yesterday and watched it. It definetely blows you away. I mean, seeing the whole Jedi Council together, watching the boy that will bring about their temple's destruction. I admit, I always viewed it like this, but after RotS...chilling. Then the Sidious scenes, watching him worm his way to Chancellor, and seeing the gungans celebrating peace only for them to be enslaved when the Empire forms. It's just very powerful and really connects to RotS.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Very well said!!!! :D

8. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    [image=http://theparallax.org/wissen/grafik/photoshop/glow/bilder/3-explosion.jpg]

Everytime I watch TPM it blows me away :)

BOOOOOMMMMM!

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2004
    I think TPM is the best of the prequels actually, in terms of overall effect. The dialogue was ok, and eveyrone gave decent performances. Liam and Ewan were on the dot, Padme was a kid so Natalie Portman didn't have to act too much (other than as herself), and even Jake Lloyd's performance was pretty decent. He was suppose to be a nice honest, kid and thats how he portrayed himself. Jar Jar was very annoying because slapstick as comedic relief isn't exactly equal to Han and Leia's quips in the OT. The only other bad part was how Yoda looked nothing like what he did in the OT, that puppet was terrible. The lightsaber battle was the best in the trilogy, even better than Yoda's very short, digitally animated sequences later.

Some parts were mediocre yes, but not outright bad (as many feel the Padme-Anakin scenes are), but it was an average to good film where your disbelief was mainly suspended.

10. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    yoda looked like a cheap plastic puppet. why didnt they use the original. I have no complains about TPM it was a good, fast paced cool star wars movie. I dont understand all the haters. id like to blow them all up :)

11. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    well the 1 problem i have with the "spoiler" board is how long these threads are if you wanna jump into one...

however while i am sure this has been mentioned somewhere in the last 40-odd pages...

my view of Mace and his "attitude problem" has totally changed.

i thought he was totally played so annoyed and stubborn and angry and pissy and i felt it was typical Sammy Jackson acting that just didnt fit in TPM.

Now i feel he hit the nail on the head. The Jedi fail in many ways due to their short-sightedness.
    As #2 on the JC - mace is the poster child for this.

Yoda says so in AOTC - about "the older, more experienced..." and mace doesnt even realize it then as he nods his head in agreement.

he remains this pig-headed cocksure Jedi seemingly lacking all "JEDI" perspective.

Granted i now believe yoda's line in AOTC refers moreso to himself [after reading the novelisation] than anyone else!!!

but needless to say i previously thought mace totally acted out of character for a jedi - with his pulp fiction attitude and persona.
    then again - he guessed wrong about dooku's character also - yup.

so now that i understand how much fault is intentionally placed on the jedi and their own mistakes - sammy jack hit the nail on the head with his histrionics.

for the record: i hated TPM during my first viewing and for a long time after.
    it is the only one i did not go back to see in the theater!
    nowadays - i watch it over and over again and love the majority of it.

i have other grievances - but as 1 part of 3 in the PT and 1 part of 6 in the SW Saga - this movie is fantastic to me!!
    then again - i refuse to bash any of the movies !!! love em or leave em.

12. darth_hamfisted

darth_hamfisted Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    Some parts were mediocre yes, but not outright bad (as many feel the Padme-Anakin scenes are), but it was an average to good film where your disbelief was mainly suspended

Although I think a few parts in TPM were a little worse than mediocre, I also feel it was overall an average to good film. It surely doesn't blow me away, however, especially after seeing ROTS. In fact, I think that ROTS really brings out a lot of the flaws in TPM. That said, I think ROTS makes certain scenes and dialogue from the OT more poignant.

13. DarthSanantta

DarthSanantta Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Tina: I LOVE YOU!!!

I always liked TPM, but after reading your post I know I will like it and understand it even more. In fact, next thing I'll do tonight is turn on my DVD player and watch it again.

Thanks a lot for bringing all this up.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, thank you! [/blush]

15. Iblis

Iblis Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    I've always enjoyed TPM. And it's great to see that Hayden has taken character traits and mannerisms from Jake Lloyd and the various people who have played Vader in the OT (along with certain speech patterns from James Earl Jones and Sebastian Shaw).

And I don't get the critisism of "Yippee!", personally my choice of phrasing would have been "Whee!" but yippee! is just a kid being happy IMHO.

16. jedivik

jedivik Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    First off, I'm sure this has been said several times already but great first post, princess tina. I finally watched TPM again after seeing ROTS last night and I actually liked it much better than before. The scenes with Anakin and Padme had so much more meaning now, especially after knowing that Anakin turns to the dark side to save Padme. I also felt sad the first time Padme's name was mentioned, when the Queen's decoy asked her to clean R2. It reminded me of the last time we'll hear her name, when one of the first words out of suited Vader's mouth were "Where's Padme?"

17. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    I love you tina :)

Id love to watch TPM with you on my star wars couch.

18. XenoSkywalker

XenoSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    *POTENTIALLY Lame Accessory reply ALERT! XD*

ME TOO!!!

I wanna hang with Dope Tina!

She LIKES TPM as much as me...

...which is RARE, to say the least.

[/end Gushing Over Tina]

*Asks the Universe...*
    Who IS this Tina person anyway...? :D

19. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I've always totally enjoyed STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE. It's an amazing movie and an amazing start to an amazing saga. :) :cool:

STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE is totally worthy of its place in the STAR WARS Saga. :) :cool:

20. Taivasvaeltaja

Taivasvaeltaja Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2003
    I've always loved the Phantom Menace, but seeing Revenge of the Sith didn't really make it any more away-blowing for me than it was before. Episode I is an excellent beginning, and having two of the OT villains as - at least seemingly - innocent good guys was, in my opinion, the best storytelling move by Lucas in the entire PT (Anakin's nightmare realising itself in Episode III comes close, though). Good is good and bad is bad more clearly than in any of the other episodes. The Jedi are still in their prime and the Republic is just about to fall into the control of Darth Sidious. Galaxy is prosperous but already badly corrupted.

The tone is very fatal. Something's going wrong and finding the Chosen One makes the change seem all the more imminent. John Williams plays this masterfully in his music, using those ancient-sounding fanfares numerous times.

I've never hated Jar Jar, but I can't possibly agree with Princess Tina's comments about his absolute greatness and him being one of Lucas' best creations. Jar Jar is nice, he's about on par with C-3PO in terms of funniness, and he has some genuinely funny moments in the film - and he has a role in the story other than just that of a silly comic relief - but no, he isn't a real masterstroke.

And loving TPM as I do is no excuse for bashing ANH like Tina did. Don't get too fanatic about it.

21. Darth_Plissken

Darth_Plissken Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    I felt that the saga as a whole was definately made whole by ROTS, and, yes, TPM, IMHO was greatly enhanced by the final installment. Even though we all knew what a horrible person he would grow up to be, way back in '99, most of the audiences for TPM lacked farsightedness and dismissed Jake Lloyd as just a wooden child actor.

Looking past the superficiality of Jake's acting nuances, viewing TPM now, having seen how Anakin meets his end, definately cringe harder (not only because of the "yippeee")when I first see Anakin at the start of the saga.

Now, instead of seeing him as a golly gee wizz type of kid I see him as a kind of reluctant anti-christ figure, parallelling that of Damian in the Omen Pt.II.

22. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    TPM Rules!! Just ask my 4-year old.

23. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    TPM after ROTS - it'll blow you up - BOOM!

ROTS is an even more offensive pile of gimmickry than TPM, which wasn't very good to begin with (I'm being generous). By that standard, TPM is in fact a better film when compared to ROTS, which isn't saying very much, since both films enjoy each other's company in the annals of motion-picture mediocrity. Revenge of the Sith is by far the worst film ever made, with Lucas' Attack of the Clones following closely in second place; The Phantom Menace is in fifth spot, after Plan 9 From Outer Space, Switchblade Sisters, and I Spit on Your Grave. Yes, the Star Wars prequels are that bad - it's time that people start facing reality.

And It's time for you to shut the hell up. Get the hell ou of this forum if you hate the PT. Nobody wants your bashing.

24. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    the opening scenes of tPM were so much more meaningful after RotS, it showed the power of a jedi. RotS made me like those opening scenes tons more!

25. Starwars_1977-1983

Starwars_1977-1983 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2004
    Some parts are much better than before, but they were already rather good :

-The opening sequence, until we land on Naboo.

-Any line of dialogue spoken by Liam Neeson.

-The Coruscant sequence with Palpatine's plotting, the Jedi Council deciding the chosen one's fate, the vote of no-confidence, etc ...)
    The paralellism between the rise of the Sith and the rise of the Chosen one is great : dark, sad, foreshadowing.

-The OB1/QG/Maul duel.

-The funeral / "Chancellor Sidious"'s secret triumph.

Aprt from that many scenes look like they are not part of the same story, not filmed by the same director : Anything with JarJar, many Tatooine sequences (excecpt Watto who is great) which are just boring and so ruined by bad acting and total lack of tension, anything on Naboo (now Naboo looks beautiful in ROTS, too bad they didn't go that way in TPM !). The pod race is sooo boring !!
    And the battle between Gungans and droids on that greener than green CG battle field is just the worst piece of movie ever made !!! It doesn't deserve to be in the saga, no matter what purposes it serves. There were other ways to do that.

So my opinion is a mix : some parts of TPM now look better, some look worse.
    For AOTC I'd say that everything works pretty well once you've seen ROTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.