main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT TPM and Disney

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Yodateachings96, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Yodateachings96

Yodateachings96 Jedi Knight

Oct 24, 2015
    Is it just me, or does it seem like the main prequel film Disney is pushing is The Phantom Menace. Disney's marketing is, of course, now mostly focuses on the OT and TFA but it seems to me that when a prequel is marketed, it's mostly The Phantom Menace. Take a look at their tsum tsum (small stuffed characters) range for the Disney Store for example: they have the whole OT, TFA, and only TPM. And I also recently found this interview about Disney Infinity where they talk about explicitly bringing in Phantom Menace characters, not the term Prequel characters (http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/22/88...sney-infinty-3-0-but-you-can-only-beat-not-be). Darth Maul also pops up very often, but you don't see Jango Fett or General Grievous that much. What do you guys think about this? I thought it was quite an interesting thing. Phantom Menace is probably the prequel I enjoy the most in pure spectacle (it's the one I grew up with) but as far as quality of the movie it's probably ROTS.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Maul is much more iconic than Jango and especially Grievous - he also is relevant from his recent appearance and upcoming storyline on Rebels. I have not observed Disney being partial to any of the three PT films, but perhaps that is my oversight.

One note - I caution anyone against coming into this thread looking to bash Disney and their treatment/perceived treatment of the PT.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  3. Yodateachings96

Yodateachings96 Jedi Knight

Oct 24, 2015
    Wasn't my intention to. I can understand why Disney would market the OT more, just because itMs more relevant to the new movies.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh, I understand - it was more of a forewarning as the discussion picks up, because this has been an area that we've had some struggles with on PT.

Yodateachings96 likes this.
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think a lot of it has to do with appearances. Especially for something like the Tsum Tsums, just the looks and colors of Darth Maul or Queen Amidala or Anakin in his podracing helmet make them more appealing to make a stuffed toy out of than Grievous or Dooku....and Jango would basically just be a blue Boba Fett.

AshiusX likes this.
  6. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    You're wrong about Disney Infinity. In that there are only Darth Maul and Jar Jar from TFM. There isn't instead Qui-Gon who is a very important character of SW in general. The other characters are all from the entire saga.

7. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Probably because TPM is the most kid friendly of the PT films. While ROTS is close to being the polar opposite with the scene of Vader about to slaughter younglings.

8. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Disney is just starting small right now for safety. There is enough in TPM to keep them busy for awhile. Dooku is an interesting and diverse character which would make his story complex. Think of how many of the saga characters appear throughout the saga and were first introduced in TPM. It is really just easier to start from there for them.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Phantom Menace is also kind of the odd-prequel out, in a way. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are directly bridged by The Clone Wars, but TPM is separated from them by a ten year gap where not much happens.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    TPM just has more iconic imagery and characters than the other two prequels.

11. Yu Han

Yu Han Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2016
    I agree with the majority of these comments. The fact that TPM is both isolated and has somewhat iconic imagery makes it great for marketing and merchandise. Queen Amidala's elaborate costumes are arguably more recognizable than anything Padme wears in the entirety of AotC and RotS. Kids are also probably more familiar with Maul since he showed up the Clone Wars cartoons.

As someone who hasn't seen all the movies until the past few years, I know that growing up in a Prequel-obsessed pop culture era I was far more familiar with TPM than any of the other prequel movies. I knew Padme as a Queen, not a senator. I knew about Jar Jar Binks and Qui-Gon Jinn but not Count Dooku or General Grievous. Plus, there's that Weird Al song "The Saga Begins" that basically explains the entire plot of TPM in psuedo-filk music and everyone's heard that.

If Disney wants to dip their toes into the Prequels, TPM is the perfect place to start.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love to see Naboo culture and historu developed. Watching TPM a few days ago left me feeling this way.

13. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013

Ehhh...I don't know about that. Maybe more than AOTC, but ROTS?

[​IMG]

That shot alone is probably the most iconic shot in the saga (so much so that it was replicated in TFA).

Not to mention this:

[​IMG]

Ezon Pin likes this.
  14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Saywut?

15. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    Haha, don't know if you're serious Seagoat, but I'll post it anyway.

[​IMG]

Snow planet instead of a lava planet, but same situation for Rey/Ren as Ob-Wan/Anakin. That's not particularly the angle of the shot I was looking for, but I don't have a way to do a screen grab unfortunately. Google is my only option.... ;)

Ezon Pin and Seagoat like this.
  16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    God I love TFA

17. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    Haha, moi aussi. I threw my back out over the weekend, so of course I wasn't exactly in a pleasant mood. Got my painkillers, some alone time and popped in TFA yet again. Star Wars + painkillers=heaven. Love this movie.

18. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Do you hate you're friends that much SG?:(

19. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    How dare you insult seaborgium like that

20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    You mean Glenn Theodore Seagborg?

I would never insult the the origins name!

21. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Eh, I wouldn't think too much of it; that movie just happens to have the most recognizable characters. Just like how most of the famous OT characters are from A New Hope.

22. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Sad truth that Jar Jar Binks is more publicly recognizable than equally rad characters like General Grievous

23. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001

Yeah, but Jar Jar had a lot more screen time than General Grievous and was also on almost everything TPM related leading up to it's release. Plus, he appeared in several TCW episodes so it's no wonder that he's more recognizable.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    *puts down pitchfork and walks away dissapointedly*

:p

heels1785 likes this.
  25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I guess it's just because most of the characters of the PT were introduced in TPM.

Comparatively fewer characters were introduced in AOTC and ROTS, mainly just Dooku, Jango and Grievous.

With the OT, you had the Lando in ESB and the Emperor in ROTJ as a major new characters.