main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AdamBertocci, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Well, here's something I didn't know. Just tonight I learned the story of the girl who inspired "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

She grew up to work in the film industry, including a little flick we call The Phantom Menace.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0724682/

Hunh.

Rick McCallum loves marshmallow pies!

2. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    So they weren't really singing about LSD?:(

3. Darth_Pozzi

Darth_Pozzi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 14, 2000
    Or a picture by Julian Lennon?

EDIT: Oops! Should have checked the bio first.

Mock me people. MOCK ME!

4. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    She's dead?

Damn, that's depressing. The girl who inspired Lucy in the Sky is dead. Now I'm all depressed.

Great way to start Halloween, man!

5. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    Well, cheer up!

I heard that if you play 'Lucy in the Sky' backwards...

...it says she's alive!:p

6. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Don't mock the dead. That's just rude.

7. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    I wasn't mocking the dead.:(

I was mocking the mythology that surrounds the Beatles...

...and wondering how many around here would be old enough to understand the reference.

8. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Seriously, man. Paul's wife and mom both died of breast cancer, like this poor woman did. Ironic that you'd use the "turn it backward" routine in such a way that accidentally disparages his family's legacy of illnesses.

By the way, the real place the rumor started was the cover of Abbey Road. For some reason being barefoot is associated with death to certain people.

9. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    Disparages his family's legacy of illnesses?

Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch? I mean, you seem to be going out of your way to connect dots, as though I was making fun of the way this woman died. This thread was referencing the Beatles, so I made a joke referencing...THE BEATLES. Not cancer. Not Paul's family members.

You wouldn't be suggesting that it's disrespectful to PAUL McCARTNEY to EVER make ANY joking reference to DEATH because over the years there have been deaths in Paul's family, would you? Because it seems like that's what you're doing.

If anything, I was trying to lighten the mood. You said you were "depressed" upon hearing of the death of someone who is a total stranger to you. I can't help but wonder how it will affect your depression when I remind you that thousands of other people you don't know died today, and thousands more will die tomorrow.

Now if I had said "She's not really dead as long as we remember her" I might have offended some Trekkies out there who take the death of Spock very seriously.

My point is that these days, it's pretty hard not to say or do anything without the risk of offending somebody somewhere.

Consider the illnesses and deaths that have occurred in my family circle. I lost my grandmother to Alzheimer's. I lost both grandfathers to cancer. A close friend died having an epileptic seizure while another close friend committed suicide. Should I be offended when SOUTH PARK makes light of death every night by 'killing' Kenny in every episode?

I'm still not sure how serious you are about this, but if I offended you, I apologize, however if my 'joke' really bothered you that much...

...I would suggest that maybe you're being a little 'thin-skinned'.

Peace, and have a good night.[face_peace]

10. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Hey, if you think about it, the Dugs are kind of "rocking horse people."

11. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Picture yourself on a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies - The Bongo when it resurfaces on the Naboo palace river?
    Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with kalidascope eyes - Anakin meets Padmé?
    Cellophane flowers of yellow and green towering over your head - Fellucia?
    Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes and she's gone - Padmé is dead?!

You could be on to something!

12. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Nope. Over the years, John Lennon consistently denied that "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" had any kind of hidden meaning. I believe he was once quoted as saying, "If I wanted to write a song about drugs then I would have f'ing written a song about drugs."

13. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Jedi_Ford_Prefect, lighten up. You read waaay too much into Leias_love_slave's post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.