main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Chapter 37: Retaking the Palace DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Moleman1138, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss TPM chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: The Phantom Menace and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 37: Retaking the Palace
    DISCUSSION: February 15, 2005 - February 19, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 106:13 - 108:00

Synopsis:
    The heroes sneak back to the main capital plaza, currently under siege by battle droids and tanks. Padme and Panaka communicate using flashes of pink and blue lights. Qui-Gon then goes ahead and tells Anakin to find a safe place once inside the palace. Out of nowhere, a Naboo speeder emerges and blasts the enemy tank. The battle begins. The Jedi, Anakin and the queen manage to move towards the inside of the palace. From the Throne Room viewscreen, Viceroy Gunray watches the battle in fear and full of unexpected thoughts. The heroes enter the hangar blasting all enemies in sight. Padme commands her pilots to get to their ships. The battle continues in the hangar as many N-1 starships takes off. Anakin climbs into the cockpit of an N-1 where Artoo resides in the droid socket. The battle droids are taken down as Padme once again controls the hangar. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    The next small segment of the battle brings us a little too close to home as the conflict in Theed begins. Pretty much it's just another one of those chapters that'll lead to the part of the battle we're all waiting for.

Some decent action. Not one of my favorite battles, but fits into a GFFA well for this film. I like how Qui-Gon reinforces the rules to Anakin, since he will break them so many times throughout his life. The takeover of the hangar has to be one of my favorite underrated scenes. We still get Padme in a command performance and standing side by side with the Jedi.

The N-1 starships are a nice distant predecessor to the X-Wing. We can still see the richness of the Naboo as regards to the Rebellion. I also like the fact that it is Anakin and Artoo pairing off in the N-1 to parallel so many times it was Luke and Artoo in the original films. The fact that one ship goes out in flames after leaving the hangar makes the scene a bit more believable at the end.

It's a pretty good scene, there's some better ones down the road, but it makes its point and that's about all we should ask. Luckily in this battle one aspect builds upon another. Good chapter.

2. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    For once, Panaka shuts his mouth and gets on with business. The (necessary) political details which preceeded this sequence are now out of the way, and we can focus on sensory delights - Lucas begins with two large action scenes (inside the city of Theed, and the Gungan - Droid Battle), which he will later diverge into four concurrent overlapping battle scenes. This is very ambitious, but undermined by the fact that two of the fight sequences are somewhat underwhelming. Anyways, back to the chapter in question - Qui-Gon's instruction to Anakin that he "find a safe place and stay there", is the set-up for a rather ridiculous gag, in which Anakin "accomplishes" a great deal by "staying in one place". The hangar setpiece helps to lead in to the (ultimately) larger-scale action to come. Efficient, mostly well-realized, but not a particularly memorable chapter. It serves its purpose.

3. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    It's nice to finally get some classic shootout-action in this movie. There haven't been too many of those in the PT compared to the OT, but I guess it's good with some variaton.

4. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    actually i do like this scene - so much happening. moleman fantastic parallel:
    luke and artoo - anakin and artoo
    father and son in reverse order and artoo knows the whole dang story. really profound.
    ------- and loved moleman's location description of artoo residing in the droid pocket :)
    padme amidala - you can see why she's queen even at 14 - no hesitation, knows what to do and thinks on her feet. what resonates here is that it's the last time she and anakin see qui gon alive.

5. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Pretty cool scene.

I especially like that the jedi just seem so powerful here (just like in the beginning of the movie).
    They are basically bodyguarding the whole group of people, it looks great!

The Naboo fighter that gets shot down is a nice touch, and looks cool because it's happening in such a beautiful place.

6. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I enjoyed it.

7. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Regarding the Anakin - R2-D2/Luke - R2-D2 parallel: Many people have complained about this scene and the subsequent space battle which is deliberately meant to echo the Death Star assault in "A New Hope", stating that they are not deliberate corresponding images, but rather, unimpressive and unoriginal attempts to regurgitate old material. While I feel that the space battle in "The Phantom Menace" is underwhelming for other reasons (I'll get into them once the respective DVD discussion thread is posted), I don't believe it to be underwhelming because it has been "recycled". The criticisms in question seem quite shaky in my opinion, and yet they are prevalent nonetheless.

8. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Finally, Padme reminds us of Leia....

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The battle begins. Nice shoot out to start things off. The Battle Droids are basically useless. :p

I find it odd though that they took the 9 year old Anakin into battle. I'm sure he could have hung back in the sacred temple place. But no. Qui-Gon not being allowed to train him thinks it's best to just have him tag along. I'm surprised Queen Amidala didn't object.

10. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    One really small things that bother me about Anakin coming along, is that he actually is the first one to enter the hangar, even before the Jedi or the security guys.

Just seems reckless...

11. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Perhaps Anakin protested to come along, against the Jedi and the Queens wishes. He wanted to help.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The Battle Droids are basically useless.

Just like stormies. [face_mischief] The action finally begins, Panaka shuts his mouth, & Padme is in control. good stuff.

13. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TPM Chapter 38: The Conflict Continues DISCUSSION will be made available 1:00 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.