main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Chapter 42: Capturing the Viceroy DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Moleman1138, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss TPM chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: The Phantom Menace and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 42: Capturing the Viceroy
    DISCUSSION: March 12, 2005 - March 16, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 120:23 - 121:13

Synopsis:
    The battle droids lead Padme and company into her throne room. Waiting for her is Nute Gunray, who tells Padme that her insurrection is over. Suddenly, Sabe, dressed as Queen Amidala, appears and states the occupation of Naboo is over. Gunray orders the battle droids to go after the decoy. The droids do so, leaving Viceroy Gunray at the mercy of Padme. Padme sit on her throne and open a compartment in the armrest. She pulls out two royal pistols and throws one to her captain. They take out the remaining battle droids then jam the doors. Queen Amidala commanding her arena once again orders the settlement of a new treaty. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    As the Battle for Naboo wraps up, the first battle that comes to a close is the one between Padme and Gunray. A short scene with a quick change in power, but works as we have concluding action ahead.

For what it does, I like it. Gunray is such an idiot in this chapter. He mistakes the decoy for the queen. The scene has one key purpose and that's to capture Viceroy Gunray. It seems as if everything seems overwhelming when Padme takes control again. The takeover even as simple as it was, fit the character of Padme exceptionally well.

Natalie did an excellent job in this scene. From deceiving Gunray to revealing her true identity and demanding a new settlement, I'm pretty impressed. Even though as a goof, she did slip on the floor a bit. This rivalry has only just begun. Even though Nute Gunray went down in this round, doesn't mean that the fight is completely over. Sure saw Padme in a different light.

Good chapter. Did what it had to and sends in that spiral towards conclusion. The scene stands out on its own and from my standpoint has nothing to really echo to from the OT. Regardless, it's nicely done.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    You can cleary see this, but look at Rune Hakko right before the decoy enters the scene, he seems to like Amidala quite alot! Good scene, Gunray will have his change to get back at Padme in AOTC, and he also proves what an utter dumbass he is, but thinking Amidala is the decoy.

3. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I loved the doors. They just slam down so fast.

4. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I was glad to see this plotline fianlly wrap up.

5. Darth_Hermes

Darth_Hermes Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2005
    two words: KEIRA. KNIGHTLY!!!!!

6. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    hard to believe natalie was a young teenager here - a shining moment for both her and her character showing the strength that will not soon be forgotten by nute. but is this the beginning of the great obesession by him to kill the queen? one is reminded of les miz.

7. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Still doesn't make any sense that he would ask her to sign the treaty after Darth Sidious told him to kill everyone. Or at least he could have had the others killed then had Padme sign the treaty if he wanted to disobey Sidious.

I also kinda felt too few Naboo soldiers died getting to the throne room. Oh well.

8. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    This chapter is more or less straightforward. There isn't anything wrong with it, per se, but it isn't exactly stirring either. The sequence carries the weight of yet another transitional piece of exposition - a bit plodding, perhaps, but necessary.

Portman is fairly efficient in this scene; she projects a stilted authority which is effective in convincing the audience of her character's regal stature. Panaka appears, in this scene, as though he and his high cheekbones would be better suited to a GQ spread - just look at the way he transitions into a "pose" as Portman tosses him a blaster. I say this in jest, of course.

One of the more amusing aspects of this scene is the exemplification of Nute Gunray's gullible nature. He is so easily fooled by Amidala's decoy (perhaps it was Keira Knightley who distracted him), that it's a small wonder he was able to organize anything, let alone an attempted coup. This is intentional, I think, and it adds considerably to Nute's bumbling, comedic nature; he's evil, but he has his reasons.

9. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TPM Chapter 43: Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul DISCUSSION will be made available 10:30 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

10. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    He's NOT an idiot, he's just slow.

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Padme looks so darn tiny when she's giving her
    "Now Viceroy" line.

12. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    i also think amidala doesn't look like a teenager...

But the scene was working well, although i think the viceroy and his companion shoul make an attempt to escape... or he should be shot down with a stun gun by amidala herself... something like it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.