main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Chapter 46: Chancellor Palpatine Arrives DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss TPM chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: The Phantom Menace and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 46: Chancellor Palpatine Arrives
    DISCUSSION: April 1, 2005 - April 5, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 125:07 - 126:17

Synopsis:
    A Republic Cruiser lands in the Theed Plaza. Padme tells her Trade Federation nemesis that they'll have to explain their recent actions to the Senate. Panaka adds that they can kiss their franchise goodbye. Panaka leads the Neimoidians to the descending ship. Obi-Wan, Padme and Anakin meet the newly elected Chancellor Palpatine. Obi-Wan and Anakin bow. Palpatine says the Republic is in Obi-Wan's debt and Anakin's career will be watched with great interest. Padme then congratulates the Chancellor on his victory, but he gives the victory to her saying that together they will bring peace and prosperity to the Republic. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Now that the Battle for Naboo is over, there's just a few scenes to wrap up this film starting with the arrival of Chancellor Palpatine. Phantom Menace truly is the first step towards the dark side and the subtly of this chapter is solid proof.

I get chills now that Palpatine is Supreme Chancellor. We all know that he somehow achieves the status of Emperor, most likely in or after ROTS. But this is the first step. Palpatine's lines are exceptionally strong. From the Republic being in Obi-Wan's debt, which will reflect future events of making the ultimate sacrifce and also the line to Anakin.

It's proof that Palpatine wanted Anakin as the apprentice all along and that Maul and Dooku were just throwaways until Anakin came of age. It's also good to see the Trade Federation storyline wrapped up. Nute may have hit a bump in the road, but with some Sith help a decade later, he and his cronies still have some chance of ruining Padme's life.

Short, but is strong in terms of the prequels. So much has been expanded upon this chapter that it's one of those small sceens, you're glad that they left in. Padme repeats her gowns again, but besides that good chapter.

2. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    I always like the look Nute and Rune give Palaptine as he walks by them. It's like they were saying "Could it be?"

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Gosh I love Palpatine. The little foreshadowing bits here are great. What more can I say?

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Was Maul a throwaway? In the TPM novel at the very end, Palpatine seemed to have Maul be his apprentice all the way through...This was after he knew of young Anakin

Palpatine turned to Skywalker out of need and because he proved easy to turn...If Maul would have survived, we would have had Ray Park standing on the Executor's Bridge

5. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Darth Maul wasn't a throwaway. Sidious's plan changed after the events of TPM. His goals remained the same, but his plans changed. Droids are useless. Need a new army. Apprentice is dead. Need a new apprentice.

The scene was good since it gave Palpatine that sinister line to Anakin. This wasn't even in the original script. It was added in later when Lucas realized Sidious needed to have some interaction with Anakin.

It would have been nice if they had given Palpatine a change in clothes though. ;)

6. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Palpatine looked like an idiot in those clothes. I will agree. And Maul should have died and I'm glad he did. (The effects of him falling down the shaft are crappy)

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TPM Chapter 47: New Knight, New Apprentice DISCUSSION will be made available 11:45 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.