main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Chapter 47: New Knight, New Apprentice DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss TPM chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: The Phantom Menace and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 47: New Knight, New Apprentice
    DISCUSSION: April 6, 2005 - April 10, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 126:18 - 127:14

Synopsis:
    Inside the Naboo Palace, Yoda tells Obi-Wan that the Council has granted him status of Jedi Knight. He disagrees with Obi-Wan's decision to take Anakin as his padawan learner. Obi-Wan says that Qui-Gon believed in him. Yoda responds saying that Anakin is strong in the Force, but fears grave danger during Anakin's training. Obi-Wan refuses to defy Qui-Gon but will defy the Council if necessary. Yoda is not entirely happy, but accepts Obi-Wan's request. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Another important moment ending Phantom Menace. Like the previous chapter, it sets up the next movie so have a generalized direction of where these characters are going. Short scene, but sets so much up.

Obi-Wan is a Jedi Knight, which clearly puts him in the driver seat like Qui-Gon was in this film. I just love how some interesting traits from Qui-Gon are being passed to Obi-Wan. The relationship between these two was fairly strong and will continue to be. It's such a guilt trip to play giving Obi-Wan this dying wish. Even though it will help bring balance.

Yoda is pretty decent in this chapter. One of the last times we'll see him as a puppet. I remember watching The Beginning on the TPM DVD and the dialogue change greatly improved this scene. The original lines seemed like something Obi-Wan would never say. Also the fact that there's a sunset is symbolic saying that this is the beginning of the end.

Yoda's sadness is greatly depicted throughout this chapter. He knows something bad is going to happen, but you have to realize in the long run that 36 years into the future, it'll be a happy ending. Good chapter.

2. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I knew obviously that it had to be, but Obi-Wan was taking a risk taking Anakin as an apprentice. As we know, Obi-Wan was not big on taking risks as his master was. To be honest the only reason he did take Anakin whas because he promised Qui-Gon.

Also, I don't think Yoda knew what was going up. He said that the future was very clouded. The main reason Yoda was so worried was because of the new presence of the Dark Side rising, this being bad if Anakin was indeed the Chosen One. Yoda would have never agreed if he knew what the future brought. I think it's safe to say if Anakin had not become a Jedi, the Republic would have won the Clone Wars.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I've pondered why the Council would allow this, and I have some ideas, but won't go into that now. I like this scene because it is one of the truly quiet scenes in the otherwise rather busy TPM. It's a landmark for Obi-Wan, Anakin, and the Jedi in general. I love Ewan McGregor's subtle acting in this scene. He doesn't say much, but manages to convey Obi-Wan's determination, surprise, and a bit of shell-shock all at once.

The exchange between Obi-Wan and Yoda here is very nice. It ties in really, really well with the OT if you think about it. Here we have the lone Jedi who survive and are around for Luke. Lucas obviously made some alterations to the backstory as it developed, but I think this scene ties in pretty well with- "I thought I could instruct him just as well as Master Yoda. I was wrong." It's always been a favourite scene for the saga-loving nerd in me :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I also love this scene because it shows us why Obi Wan would say Yoda was "the" Jedi Master who instructed him. Even under the tutelage of Qui Gon he's constantly referring to Yoda's teachings over those of his master, and after QG's departure - we really see how he idolizes Yoda.

And with Dooku's line in AotC ("Master Yoda always spoke so highly of you") that's further supported.

Great scene, would've loved/would love to see more of these kind of scenes.

- O_F

5. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I liked the scene, its kinda wrapping everything up for me.

6. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The returning themes were nice. First time we see cgi Yoda. Well from a distance at least. I really like the forshadowing dialogue. I also liked the lightning of the scene. Props to the crew.

It was good to see Obi-Wan now on his own and not taking backseat to this new Qui-Gon character.

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TPM Chapter 48: Farewell to a Jedi DISCUSSION will be made available 11:45 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.